The Clearing

Started by Finn, March 21, 2004, 06:22:31 PM

Finn

He's one movie at the Ebert & Roeper Film Festival that I did like. It stars Robert Redford, William Dafoe and Helen Mirren (first film for director Pieter Jan Brugge). Redford plays a man held for ransom by the Dafoe character and his wife (played by Mirren) has to deliver the ransom money. They're stuck in the woods for most of the movie with a gun held on the Redford character. Meanwhile his wife is back at home with her son and daughter working with a detective.

The film is a lot like "Lantana" in the way that the plot seems like an intevestigation mystery but it's really about marriages. We hear about Redford's wife, their realtionship and about Dafoe's wife. When I saw the screening, it sounded like Thomas Newman did most of the score. They said the composer wasn't officially announced yet, but I think they ended up going with Craig Armstrong instead. Originally they used "The Farm" from Road to Perdition on the last scene (which was just beautiful). Anyways, it's worth checking out.

Release Date : May 21, 2004 (limited release)
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

El Duderino

i saw the trailer for this at House of Sand and Fog a while back and it looks pretty good.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Trailer

Cast: Robert Redford (Wayne Hayes), Willem Dafoe (Arnold Mack), Helen Mirren (Eileen Hayes), Alessandro Nivola, Matt Craven (FBI Agent Ray Fuller), Sarah Koskoff, Melissa Sagemiller; other cast not announced yet.

Director: Pieter Jan Brugge (directorial debut of the producer of several movies including The Insider and Glory)

Screenwriter: Justin Haythe (feature film debut)

Premise: A wealthy executive (Redford) is kidnapped by a disgruntled employee (Dafoe) and held captive in a forest, so it is up to his wife (Mirren) to deliver the ransom and free her husband (Nivola plays their son; Koskoff plays Nivola's wife).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

All right, folks, here's my pop quiz of the day (a new institution that will most likely be forthwith discontinued): what is the music in this trailer, which is one of the great trailer scores of all time, originally from?

(and technically, this isn't really a quiz, since I don't know the answer and would simply like to know).

RegularKarate

Quote from: GhostboyAll right, folks, here's my pop quiz of the day (a new institution that will most likely be forthwith discontinued): what is the music in this trailer, which is one of the great trailer scores of all time, originally from?

Good question... it's been used in so many different trailers that it's just trailer stock to me now.

It's like the dramatic equivalent of the Aliens music they use in all the high-tension action trailers... BUM BUM BUM BUMBUMBUMBUMBUMBUM

E.S. Posthumus - Nara.  These people also did some music for Spider-Man, or some songs where used. You listen to them in a lot of trailers, like that song from Romeo + Juliet that played everywhere, "O Verona".  the only ones I can remember is Antwone Fisher and Spider-man .

EDIT: They didn't wrote "O Verona" , what I meant was that it's an overplayed song in trailers.
context, context, context.

A Matter Of Chance

Whenever I Defoe's voice, I think of him wearing that green goblin suit...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffinAlessandro Nivola

..this guy is underrated.......

Finn

I was surprised at how good the trailer was. Although I think it gave away a little too much of the movie (don't they all). But I'm getting a little tired of them using that same piece of music in so many trailers (also used in Antwone Fisher and Unfaithful).
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

El Duderino

Quote from: QuoyleBut I'm getting a little tired of them using that same piece of music in so many trailers (also used in Antwone Fisher and Unfaithful).

it really bugged me that they used the score from Gladiator for The Alamo trailer
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?