Started by MacGuffin, December 08, 2003, 09:12:15 PM

SHAFTR

I love sports.
I love movies.

I hate sports movies.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

indiana

all i have to say is that i was a extra in this movie and it was the worst extra job i have ever done...3 weeks in the ice-rink driving me insane.
peace
SONIC BOOM!

pete

yeah you totally sucked, that was a terrible terrible job, much worse than that time when you picked your nose in the background in 8 mile.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Henry Hill

Quote from: ©brad

i think the only sport movie that successfully avoided the cliche was a league of their own. (which is so so great)

....ahh, but there is another. North Dallas Forty. If your a sports fan this is one to see. It really shows the harsh politics of professional football. This film came before Any Given Sunday, but is not as damaging. It is good though.  A semi-fictional account of life as a professional Football player. Loosely based on the Dallas Cowboys team of the early 1970s. You know, if you want to see a sports film that doesn't follow the "formula".

pete

since we're talking about favorite sports movies, and though I suspect this recommendation is probably again in vain,  but, man, you haven't seen a sport movie 'til you watch Ping Pong, I promise you that.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

indiana

Quote from: petesince we're talking about favorite sports movies .

http://www.katrin-und-frank.de/images/anaheimmightyducks1995.jpg
FLYING V?!!!!
peace
SONIC BOOM!

MacGuffin

Quote from: GloriaI just saw this today and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Kurt Russell is really amazing in this role.  I was expecting a big, cheesy movie with the usual sport movie cliches.  Thankfully, this movie steered clear of a lot of the cliches (but not all of them).  I was surprised how the movie focused more on the hard work and sportsmanship of the game rather than the 'player dramas' that drag sports movies down.  The hockey game scenes were amazing.  This was the first movie I went to where the audience clapped during and at the end of the film. I was pleasantly surprised with this movie.

I agree with Gloria's assessment. It was far from being Remember The Titans. One thing the film teaches, and the film itself does, is convey teamwork. The players don't have sappy storylines that manipulate you; it's all about the collective team and working together. There were a couple cliches (the neglected, yet supportive wife and kids; the 'he does have a method to his madness' reveals), but overall it was very good and did a terriffic job of setting the time (the fine opening credit sequence set the right tone) and reminding why this game was so important. It didn't move me the way the trailer always seemed to do, but this is the performance of Kurt Russell's career.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quote from: In the Peter Pan thread, themodernage02i challenge anyone to come up with worse dvd cover art for a film that was a major studio release and had a cool poster.

My candidate:

On May 18, 2004, Buena Vista Home Entertainment will release Miracle, the recent film detailing the true story of the 1980 USA Olympic Hockey team. The 2 disc DVD will come in both Widescreen and Full Screen flavours, retailing at $29.99. The features included will be:

Director and Filmmaker Audio Commentary
"The Making of Miracle" Featurette (with real life hockey players)
"From Hockey to Hollywood: The Actor's Journey"
"Miracle ESPN Roundtable" with Kurt Russell, real-life goalie Jim Craig and more
Special Tribute to Coach Herb Brooks
Outtakes
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

no f'ing way mac!   ill admit the poster was WAY cooler than the box.  but the box on its own is in no way offensive to look at!  somebody actually spent like more than five minutes constructing it, not a 5 minute photoshop 'big head' job!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

That big American flag is about to crush those poor hockey players.

edison

Looks like theres an oncoming car, or perhaps an alien spaceship landing going on in that cover.

MacGuffin

To me, it looks like the Mighty Ducks are playing a rock concert.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

hey mac, you got your wish.  they changed the dvd art to look more like the poster.  so there you go.  if only peter pan/last samurai were so lucky.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.