The Office

Started by Redlum, September 19, 2003, 11:46:50 AM

RegularKarate

I have a feeling Gervais thinks that about American television for the same reason that a lot of people think that about European television... because he doesn't watch much of it.  He sees what other people (people who have filtered out the shit) show him.  With British television,he sees everything.

Ravi

Someone send Gervais videotapes of The War at Home now!

MacGuffin

Original Stars To Visit 'The Office'

The British stars of the original The Office show are set to visit the US version of the hit comedy to shoot cameo roles. Ben Silverman, who executive produces the American version of The Office for NBC, claims employees of Slough, England paper company Wernham Hogg could find themselves sharing an office with Scranton, Pennsylvania company Dunder Mifflin. Silverman tells the New York Post newspaper, "There's a lot of love between (the casts and crews) of the two versions of the show. Expect some cameos from the UK paper company." While Silverman refuses to name which stars will be appearing, he does say the show's creator Ricky Gervais, who played cringe-worthy boss David Brent in the UK version, won't be on the US comedy anytime soon. He says, "We're going to save the big man for now."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

garam do you think he can do good drama?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

'Office' work: 3 added to series

"The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" correspondent Ed Helms and "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" alum Charles "Chip" Esten have joined NBC's "The Office" as recurring. Additionally, former "Boston Public" co-star Rashida Jones has landed a potential recurring role on the quirky comedy from Reveille and NBC Universal TV Studio. Helms and Jones will play employees at the Scranton, Pa., regional office of the Dunder Mifflin paper supply company where the series is set. Esten will play Josh Porter, the regional manager at another branch of Dunder Mifflin. Esten originated the character in a guest appearance in the "Valentine's Day" episode this past season.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

I Love a Magician

So season three started back last week and it's two episodes in thus far. And it is good.

Best show of all time. I don't even give a fuck.

Kal

Quote from: Garam on October 12, 2006, 06:45:49 AM
Yeah, I recently watched about 12 of these. Really excellent. I remember when the news of a US remake came out, a lot of dull people complained that it will demolish the British subtleties blah blah, then it turns out to be a vast improvement on the original. For a start, the running time falling from 29 minutes to 21 means that a lot of the filler has been cut (count how many reaction shots there are in the entire UK series), leaving just great jokes and character development. Thankfully, there's hardly any of that dull unfunny pathos that award ceremony judges love so much. And Steve Carrell has better comic timing than Gervais.

If this stays consistent, I'll probably end up liking it more than Arrested Development and Curb.

It gets better everyday... thats the best part. I dont know if you say the latest episodes, but the end of Season 2 was excellent... and lasts weeks episode was unbelievable! (Dwight)

modage

REMINDER: TONIGHT!

Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, creators of the British version of "The Office," penned this episode, in which Michael discovers that a new employee is an ex-con. Michael ultimately gets rattled when his staff begins equating the office with prison. Meanwhile, Andy (Ed Helms) receives tips on how to woo Pam from an unlikely source.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Even if I wasn't aware that they wrote it, I would have had my suspicions since it had their patented "political correctness about racism" humor.  But what was most impressive is that they didn't try to write an episode of the UK Office; they know the US characters very well.  The Jim/Pam/Andy subplot was so great and "Prison Mike" was Carell's finest moment on the show thus far. 

I Love a Magician

Black people that Michael tursts more than white.

Karen: "I've got one."

Michael: "Shoot."

Karen: "Jesus."

Michael: ".......... Apollo Creed."

Chest Rockwell

Last night's episode was the first I've ever seen. I think I'll start watching this show...

Kal

This episode and the one that Dwight wants to take over Michaels position are the best this season...

Pubrick

Quote from: I Love a Magician on December 05, 2006, 02:03:57 AM
I've always wondered how they go about writing the Office. And then! http://hollywoodhotline.latimes.com/watcher/2006/11/if_nbcs_comedy_.html
that's great. i'm not surprised cos there hasn't been one cast member on conan who was not flat out hilarious. they're the funniest real life cast working today.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

Quote from: Garam on December 28, 2006, 12:28:16 PM
the Shandling one was really interesting. He made no attempt to hide his disdain for Gervais and his material and Gervais just came across as really confused and desperate. To be fair, Shandling was pretty rude, but good god, it was fun to watch.
the clip you linked just showed shandling being compared to that big toothed puppet. then i found another clip that says it's the highlights and goes for 10mins. is there a fuller version? the short one didn't hav any major ownings.
under the paving stones.