NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

squints

Quote from: w a  l   r    u     s on December 22, 2009, 04:46:06 PM
Even with the release of Fallout 3 and its subsequent expansions, 2009 has been the year of Fallout 2.

Not only was the unofficial, complete patch for Fallout 2 released, but has anyone else checked this out?  You're reading it right, it's a functional Fallout 2 MMO mod.  I've been getting it set up on my computer here, but I've played it and it is awesome albeit a bit hard to stay alive since anyone can kill anyone, and apparently Modoc and Vault City are Russian Death Camps (since many Russians play it, the mod was developed by Russian programmers.)

Once I get it running on my laptop, I'll have further reviews of how awesome it is.  Anyone else down to explore the Fallout 2 world in a way that was never possible before?

Holy shit? Thats real? I'm getting a new comp next month but since I share a ps3 with 2 other people and this computer can't run shit I haven't even started playing Fallout 3 and i've just been playing a LOT of Fallout 2 on my shitty comp. Are the specs any different for playing it online? I am totally down to get up on that shit...
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pas

Quote from: Stefen on December 22, 2009, 02:43:14 PM
Quote from: Pas Rap on December 22, 2009, 07:14:49 AM
Quote from: Stefen on December 21, 2009, 11:40:40 PM
Are you getting a PS3 for blu-ray? I'd go with a 360 if it's going to be primarily for games.

unless you like little games like Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted............ or don't intend to play L.A. Noire which looks fucking awesome

PS3 exclusives > Xbox exclusives

No way. PS3 has some good exclusives, but there's only a few. Gran Turismo is nice but Forza is the same thing. This gen is completely switched from last. Last gen PS2 has all the games and XBox had the power, this gen it's switched. Next gen it will probably switch again.

360 has Mass Effect 1 and 2, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Fable II, Crackdown, Shadow Complex and soon Splinter Cell: Conviction and Alan Wake (probably my most anticipated game).

If you want it for Blu-Ray definitely go with PS3, but if you want it for games or as an entertainment hub, I'd go with 360.

Mass Effect = awesome but available on PC (and soon to come on PS3 I bet 10$)
Gears of War = sorry I'm not in what you americans call a frat so I don't enjoy that shit :therethere:
Left 4 Dead = Ok I give you that one
Fable : LOL really?
Crackdown : GTA4
Shadown Complex = ???
Splinter Cell = UBISOFT

Really I don't understand how anyone can compare Xbox to PS3 in terms of anything. Free multiplayer, too, as pointed out.

cronopio 2

i just want to say: fuck the wii. fuck new super mario wii. fuck everything nintendo stands for. they can keep on doing the same game over and over, i quit.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Stefen on December 22, 2009, 05:07:08 PM
Fallout 3 is in my top five of all time. I've never played the others. Are they something I should try? I love that while world and post-apocalyptic element.

Honestly, you may hate Fallout and Fallout 2.  If you love post-apocalyptic environments, then maybe you'd dig them, but they are almost nothing like Fallout 3.

Fallout and Fallout 2 drive a lot of people away because of the turn-based combat.  If you're seeking out lifelike combat, then most RPG's will bore the fuck out of you because RPG's, especially from 1999 and previous, tend to focus on the storyline and usually have battles that mimic chess.  You take turns and plenty of strategy is paid to the order attacks go in, as well as the kind of opponent's you're facing. 

That being said, I maintain that Fallout and Fallout 2 are waaaaaaay ahead of their time.  Fallout Tactics is... it's ok, let's say that.  It isn't terrible, and for a while, it was amazing online at Gamespy Arcade.  Fallout Tactic's biggest problem was that it tried to rope in new fans by spending less time on the story and more time developing the battle system.  This sucked because, although the battle system was a lot smoother and paved the way for Fallout 3's system, the story tanked big time.  In fact, it was nearly about nothing.  You were in the Brotherhood of Steel and paraded around, saving villages from raiders and mutants.  Then there was like Brotherhood of Steel on the PS2 and Xbox, but Jesus, don't even get near those.  Fallout Tactics was the first Fallout after Black Isle dissipated into nothingness, which is very confusing because it was releasing some of the best RPG's in a long time, specifically the Fallout franchise and a certain amazing line you may be familiar with called Baldur's Gate.

At this point, you can probably just torrent Fallout and Fallout 2 (get Fallout 2's unofficial complete patch that I mentioned earlier, it's absolutely imperative).  They are worthwhile games in terms of story, and they will definitely make you appreciate Fallout 3 more.  You'll also get a lot of the inside jokes in Fallout 3 that you didn't even know were inside jokes.

Fun fact: "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire" by the Ink Spots was supposed to be the theme for the first one, but they couldn't get the clearance for it, but were able to get "Maybe."  As we now know, the theme for Fallout 3 is that much sweeter.

Play Fallout first, then Fallout 2.  Then you might as well play Fallout 3 again, why not, right?  Let me know if you play the first two and what you think of them, though.  I've played them both through way more than I care to admit.

Quote from: squints on December 22, 2009, 05:13:27 PM
Quote from: w a  l   r    u     s on December 22, 2009, 04:46:06 PM
Even with the release of Fallout 3 and its subsequent expansions, 2009 has been the year of Fallout 2.

Not only was the unofficial, complete patch for Fallout 2 released, but has anyone else checked this out?  You're reading it right, it's a functional Fallout 2 MMO mod.  I've been getting it set up on my computer here, but I've played it and it is awesome albeit a bit hard to stay alive since anyone can kill anyone, and apparently Modoc and Vault City are Russian Death Camps (since many Russians play it, the mod was developed by Russian programmers.)

Once I get it running on my laptop, I'll have further reviews of how awesome it is.  Anyone else down to explore the Fallout 2 world in a way that was never possible before?

It's all the same system specs.  Basically, and I'm no techno-whiz, what they have done is make a skeleton of the game that functions just like Fallout 2, in fact you have to have Fallout 2 to use it, and it uses the master.dat and critter.dat files of Fallout 2 to support the sprites and general game flavor and functions and you can play through Fallout 2 on your own or with friends.  Therefore, you can complete missions to gain XP, but most of the game is all the territorial shit and gang forming to stay alive.  It's nearly impossible to survive on your own.

I really hope JB and/or Chest Rockwell check this out, I remember them both being hardcore Fallout fans.

Holy shit? Thats real? I'm getting a new comp next month but since I share a ps3 with 2 other people and this computer can't run shit I haven't even started playing Fallout 3 and i've just been playing a LOT of Fallout 2 on my shitty comp. Are the specs any different for playing it online? I am totally down to get up on that shit...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Haha, oops.  I forgot to reply to squints' quote after replying to stefen's. 

Ok, so I now have a PS3.  The following games I have:  Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto 4, Fight Night Round 4 and Uncharted which incidentally came in a bundle with an extra controller at Gamestop for like $60, which was sweet.

My PS3 id is:  Necron--99--
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Fight Night round 4 is a blast once you learn how to play. One of the games I've played most this year.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Yeah, it's cool.  But in a lot of ways, I prefer Round 3 insofar.  I still have fun with 4, it feels pretty different of a game.

The huge ripoff of it is that you can get a 289mb download that allows you to unlock all kinds of fighters, rings, items, etc.  However, everything you can unlock can't be unlocked through gameplay.  They're bought with literal money, not some fake video game money mode.  What the hell is that?

Stefen

That's the way most DLC is this gen.

I liked rnd 3 more at first too but once I really got the hang of 4 it really opened up. I counter all day. I will fight anyone on xixax and ko them within 7 rounds. That's how good I am at this game.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Stefen

Reinhold

Quote from: Stefen on December 31, 2009, 03:39:24 PM
haha and the real Brett Ratner's PS3 id is: AGoodDirector

well, it's actually a fairly good online id for me-- i play video games like he makes movies: i don't give a shit about being good, i basically just like when stuff looks cool, and i laugh it off when people try to explain to me that i'm seriously bad at it.

mostly, though, the names i wanted were taken and this was a funny one. so there you go. i'm really looking forward to "brettratner just killed Santa" or "brettratner was just fragged" or whatever notifications pop up in shooters like that.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

SiliasRuby

Okay, so saturday I'm purchasing my first console since the original Playstation came out and I'm getting a PS3, even though I already have a blu-ray player. Other than GTA 4 and Midnight Club: Los Angeles (which I REALLY want) what game should I get that is a good first person shooter?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

squints

Quote from: SiliasRuby on December 31, 2009, 07:52:28 PM
Okay, so saturday I'm purchasing my first console since the original Playstation came out and I'm getting a PS3, even though I already have a blu-ray player. Other than GTA 4 and Midnight Club: Los Angeles (which I REALLY want) what game should I get that is a good first person shooter?

Modern Warfare 2. That's it. That's all you need.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

SiliasRuby

That's it? Is anyone going to debate him on this? My friend said I should get 'Dead Space'.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

Dead Space is awesome but it's not a first prson shooter. It's a third person shooter.