John Malkovich Is Kubrick

Started by MacGuffin, June 17, 2003, 10:27:54 AM

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: flagpolespecial on June 29, 2006, 10:08:08 AM
this movie is pretty horrible. but i'd say essential viewing for kubrick fans.
Could you, please, expand on reasons why I, as a Kubrick fan, should must go see a "horrible" film?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

RegularKarate

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: flagpolespecial on June 30, 2006, 10:11:26 AM
cos i'm so fucking drunk. and you're supposedly a kubrick fan. it's caalled color me kubrck. do that math.
Color Me Konvinced
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

picolas

this is in the Vancouver Film Festival. (last viff announcement)

picolas

this movie makes me feel pretty much the same way napoleon dynamite did, but less disappointed. malkovich is insanely perfect. he plays the character in a very filthy way, yet the filth is manipulated so that it becomes oddly classy. the performance alone justifies the movie's existence. the movie itself isn't as good. it doesn't take full advantage of the situation/character. it's more a bunch of scenes that have a vague underlying story but feel more like small sketches. there's a major misuse of the sped-up william tell overture. sometimes it's just not clever/written only to show an event occuring. it's hard to describe.. there's a scene with someone who got ripped off being told he got ripped off and he's crying and it goes exactly how you'd expect it and there's no real reason to show it.. mostly these are scenes that don't involve malkovich. but it's very very worth watching for the malkovich.

Ravi

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/colour-me-kubrick.html

Title: Color Me Kubrick (IMDb)
Starring: John Malkovich
Released: 27th March 2007
SRP: $26.98

Further Details:
Magnolia Home Entertainment has announced Color Me Kubrick which stars John Malkovich as conman Alan Conway, who successfully passed himself off as the famed director Stanley Kubrick. The disc will be available to own from the 27th March, and should retail at around $26.98. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include an audio commentary (participants to be confirmed), some deleted scenes, and a making of featurette.

MacGuffin

Magnolia Home Entertainment has announced Color Me Kubrick which stars John Malkovich as conman Alan Conway, who successfully passed himself off as the famed director Stanley Kubrick. The film will be released theatrically and broadcast via HDNet Movies on 23rd March, the DVD will then be follow on the 27th. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include an audio commentary (participants to be confirmed), some deleted scenes, and a making of featurette.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jigzaw

I just arrived home from seeing this movie.   

It is truly awful.  How unfortunate that such a great idea that could have been a gold mine of comedic richness was turned into a painful experience for the audience.  Malkovich is a superb actor and is very good here, but the movie doesn't hold up at all.  There are a few mildly amusing stylistic references to Kubrick's films, but they weren't terribly clever and there weren't enough of them to sustain a Kubrick fan's interest through these 86 long minutes.  I honestly don't know how this got made.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Kal

I just saw this... really bad, but Malkovich makes it worth the time. It has some funny scenes, and the whole concept is just brilliant. Its amazing how many stupid people, and how many crazy people are in this world.