Cyberpunk

Started by Myxo, July 22, 2003, 02:29:00 PM

Myxo

So, my friend and I got into a discussion (or, rather an arguement) about what constitutes a "Cyberpunk" film. He insists that Blade Runner isn't Cyberpunk because they don't "jack in" to a computer or anything like that. He sees films like Tron and The Matrix as Cyberpunk.

What do you guys think? Post films that you think fall into the Cyberpunk category.

MacGuffin

A list of films IMDB catagoizes as cyberpunk.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

they plug in, but i dont know if its punk?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

markums2k

Ugh... I know a lot of you here probably love existenz... but what a piece of shit.

That promo reminds me of when The Professional came out, and they were like '...makes Speed look like a slow ride to Grandma's house!"  Except... well, it really did!  existenz, on the other hand, not so wonderful.

So is 'cyberpunk' a desirable thing?

RegularKarate

Cyberpunk is the crappiest term.  

Existenz is a good movie... went the direction Sci-fi has supposed to have been headed since the sixties.

Myxo

Quote from: RegularKarateCyberpunk is the crappiest term.  

Existenz is a good movie... went the direction Sci-fi has supposed to have been headed since the sixties.

Only not.

RegularKarate

Only not... what?

Myxo

Quote from: RegularKarateOnly not... what?

I donno. Existenz was alright. I thought it was a really neat idea that fell apart. Also, the acting was really bad. Really, really bad. Overall it wasn't an aweful movie, but as far as Sci-Fi goes, I've seen much, much better.

RegularKarate

Most of the acting fit the feel of the movie.

It created a sci-fi world that I really liked.  It was a different film, went for originality instead of sleekness.  So I liked it quite a bit.

I've seen better sci-fi for sure.  But this was certainly better than ninety percent of the shit sci-fi that has been coming out of the past twenty years or so.

Cecil

rk is right, except about cyperpunk being a crappy term

cyberpunk basically means sci-fi movie taking place in often dystopian future urban societies dominated by computer technology

Myxo

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedrk is right, except about cyperpunk being a crappy term

cyberpunk basically means sci-fi movie taking place in often dystopian future urban societies dominated by computer technology

http://project.cyberpunk.ru/idb/cyberpunk_films_postmodern_motifs_and_ambience.html

Great article about The Matrix.

ono

Strange Days.  Excellent flick, often overlooked.  Ebert gave it four stars.

Myxo

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaStrange Days.  Excellent flick, often overlooked.  Ebert gave it four stars.

Roger "feed bag" Ebert?

;)

ono

Got a beef with Ebert, take it to the critics thread.  That "feed bag" crack is rather immature.  I think the man is brilliant, and spot on about 90% of the time.