Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself

Started by SHAFTR, April 03, 2004, 01:45:41 AM

SHAFTR

I saw this at the Wisconsin Film Festival with the director/co-writer Lone Scherfig and co-writer Anders Thomas Jensen there for an intro and Q&A.  Anyways, it's a danish film but shot in Scotland with British actors...so it's in english.  If you are into the whole Dogme movement or a Lars Von Trier fan I'd suggest going to see it.  I actually liked it better than Breaking the Waves & Dancer in the Dark.

Even if you aren't a fan of the above films, go see it anyways.  The film is great in balancing drama with comedy.  In a lot of ways it reminded me of The Apartment (and it's skill at doing that).  I just watched the trailer for the film and I wouldn't suggest watching that before the film.  The trailer is cheesy and I feel gives too much away.

Anyways, please go and see it if you have a chance.  It is great.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

phil marlowe

though i wasn't big on italian for beginners or any other sherfig film, i thought this movie was pretty great. it's really some sort of tragic feelgood movie that evolves around tragic themes but never really gets sobby or anything. it's so human and it feels good.

i don't see much trier comparison though.

SHAFTR

Quote from: the real phil

i don't see much trier comparison though.

They are both danish.  Plus, they both stemmed from the same movement.  Otherwise, you are right.

Pubrick

von trier had been making movies for about 10 years before dogme 95, and 14 years by the time he contributed The Idiots. he hardly stemmed from it. so, again, there is no comparison to be made. no valid comparison, anyway.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Pubrickvon trier had been making movies for about 10 years before dogme 95, and 14 years by the time he contributed The Idiots. he hardly stemmed from it. so, again, there is no comparison to be made. no valid comparison, anyway.

they are both part of the Dogme 95 movement.

phil marlowe

but italian for beginners and the idiots are very very different...i could actually imagine most trier fans NOT liking wilbur.

modage

how about people who dont like von trier?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02how about people who dont like von trier?

go see it.

modage

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: themodernage02how about people who dont like von trier?

go see it.
oh not me.  i was asking for a friend.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

Just saw this and was very dissapointed. Every twisting note of the plot was a poorly disguised contrivance. I couldn't stomach it. The suicide attempts were trite (particularly the 'jumping into shallow water') and didn't evoke the mixed reactions of pity and humour that were obviously intended. Especially as the reasons for Wilburs 'death wish' are only half-heartedly mentioned 40 minutes in.
How can the writer think that a character inexplicably wanting to kill hiself can provide enough intrigue and drama to hold the premise for a film and its title.

Another hit in the bag for High-Definition video.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas