Trek out to Hollywood

Started by zerocool41, July 13, 2003, 12:43:57 PM

jokerspath

I was seriously just shaking my head like "I don't care, I'm still gonna try anyway", with like real determination and shit.  

Then I read Voice Of Nick's comment on having to know how to make coffee and I seriously froze and was just thinking of how sad it would be if I got fired for not knowing how to make coffee...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

TheVoiceOfNick

I know this guy who worked for Warner Brothers for a few days, and then got fired because he didn't bring ketchup with an exec's lunch! Sheesh... though, if you're willing to work hard, it could all be worth it!

Nick

Weak2ndAct

Ah!  I topic I love and hate, much like the industry itself.  The most surprising thing I learned after getting my feet wet is how much it truly is an accomplishment to get a film made out here.  You would think that director of insert-bad-movie-here would be spit upon if they stepped on the street.  Not true.  Many, many people have to all give the thumbs up and dole out a buttload of cash to get a movie made.  That takes a lot of convincing.  A major accomplishment.

What's been said above is so true.  Every show that you think is crap has many people fighting to get that crap job.  You'd be surprised to see what gigs people take to 1) get ahead 2) pay the bills 3) get experience

Re: Agents.  From what I've found, if you're a newbie, your best bet is a referral from a client.  That's the fastest route in-- and also the hardest.  Networking and sheer luck is the only way you'll get into a client's graces-- remember, they're doing YOU a favor.  And most important of all-- you better have more that one thing to show if you do impress that agent, otherwise you might get the 'one-hit-wonder' stigma and they won't sign you.  Prove you have some range and flexibilty.  

Zerocool41, re: back-ups.  There is no usual one, everyone does what they have to in order to get by.  But my personal advice is to NOT let yourself have a back-up of any kind.  Balls out or nothing.  When people get cushy back-up jobs, in the biz or not, they always end up there.  There's no more desperation/inspiration when the bills are comfortably paid on time every month and you're looking at a promotion that will pay a bit more.  This approach is no fun, but at least you're working towards something.  You HAVE TO write/direct a genius script/short in order to get out of the hole you're in.  Don't say 'well, i'll fall back on this teaching degree if things don't work out.'  Eventually, you will.  Not having a back-up and major desperation landed me my first paying assignment.

Oh yeah, and my favorite part: everyone wants you to work for free, especially if you're a writer.  Be prepared to spend weeks to work out every detail of some project and not get the job.  I've never seen any outright idea-stealing in a major sense, but those little nuggets of genius often find their way around.

If any poor soul actually made it to the end of this rambling post, I'm just curious how many people who post here actually work in the business out here in LA in some capacity or another.

ReelHotGames

I live in SF but split time in LA because that is the place isn't it. I'm the preverbial jack (ass) of all trades, writer/director/actor so my job is essentially auditioning, interviewing and groveling.

I started my own theater company a few years back and did some exciting work that got lots of notice, so it helped to cement me in with contacts and YET.... it still wasn't enough to land that agent or deal or what not. So I plug away at my own thing just to do what I was born to do.

So my LA time is really just auditions and what not. I spend Pilot season down there, like the million other yahoos... What can you do.

I have my web series going now, and that's getting some attention which is nice. Plus an indie feature in pre-production for a September shoot. So, it's crazy time.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

atticus jones

this thread makes me wanna put my head through a tv or get stung by a killer bee...

take a xanax and call me later...

holly wood if she could but she cant so she dont...

try this:

kick down the front door and put it in her poop shoot...

simple yet effective plan that doesnt waste time or money...

see me later
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

The Silver Bullet

It would be lovely if you could make it on ideas.

Wouldn't it be lovely? Just lovely.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

mindfuck

Don't you think that might just saturate the market at little bit? Ya think?

The Silver Bullet

"You think?"
"Yes, sir."
"What the fuck? We have no room for thinkers! You're wasting my taking with all your fucking thinking! The marketplace doesn't want to think! The consumer's an idiot!"
"Yes, sir."
"Get outta here!"
"Yes, sir."
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Silver BulletIt would be lovely if you could make it on ideas.

They're called 'pitches'. And good ones get bought.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin

he's been trying to act smart or sumthin to impress that which he does not believe and has openly dissed. it's funny cos it backfired.
under the paving stones.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: MacGuffin

I had three good ones... actually made it through several departments of a certain television company, but to no avail. lots of back and forth and lots of legal-ese, but none made it through...

One thing to know about entertainment, is that if you have money, you're in! All of the poor saps trying to make it in are exactly that... POOR! If you've got money, you can instantly be a hollywood insider. After killing myself for almost a year, i decided it wasn't for me to be a peon, but to be the boss... so I started my own company... that's the way to make it in hollywood... just look at PTA with Ghoulardi.

Nick

aclockworkjj

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickmoney,

what it comes down to...

The Silver Bullet

QuoteAnd good ones get bought.
Hence Gigli et al.

Quotehe's been trying to act smart or sumthin to impress that which he does not believe and has openly dissed. it's funny cos it backfired.
What've I openly "dissed"?

Your "constantly pissed" attitude is great, by the way, P. Shows maturity. It's funny 'cause you're an idiot.
  • A hare.

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
QuoteAnd good ones get bought.
Hence Gigli et al.

The original idea could have been much different. It was good to someone who bought it. In fact, it is not uncommon for movies to change from their original concept. Isn't it the same with movies when the product is finished? Some people like certain movies, some don't. And remember, scripts go through revision upon revision too. "Gigli" would mostly be better with a different cast as to not focus on a real life romance, and with a different director/production team to have steered the production right at first sign of disaster. But all films start with an idea. And good ones get bought.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Silver Bullet

Point taken, and accepted.
Maybe I should have said "on ideas alone"?

Or not?
  • A hare.