The Amazing Spider-Man

Started by MacGuffin, November 01, 2007, 12:36:55 AM

modage

Sony has officially announced that Andrew Garfield  is "Spider-Man."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

the internet has officially announced "who the fuck is that?"
under the paving stones.

polkablues

It's the scarf-wearing fancy lad from the Mark Romanek movie!
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

He was the robot in Spike Jonze short.  And the dude in Red Riding Trilogy: Part 1.  I like him, I just wish he wasn't screaming in that trailer.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

'Spider-Man' Reboot Is 'Risky,' Says David Fincher
Source: MTV

Earlier this year, director David Fincher was reportedly on Sony's shortlist to direct the "Spider-Man" reboot, alongside fellow filmmakers Wes Anderson ("Rushmore"), and Marc Webb ("500 Days of Summer"), who eventually got the job.

Even though he won't be directing the newest cinematic adventures of Peter Parker onscreen, Fincher told MTV News that while he feels that the reboot is exciting, it also carries some drawbacks as well.

"It's risky," offered Fincher. "They're taking some risks. It's not like they're [getting] a conventional director. They're going at it in a different way... They're rolling the dice. I think that's always exciting."

Back in 2009, Fincher revealed that he had been under consideration to direct the first "Spider-Man" film, but ultimately passed because he didn't connect with the material.

"I took a meeting and I easily got myself out of that one," related Fincher. "I've never been interested in [superhero movies]. I just could not imagine someone getting bit by a radioactive spider."

Despite Fincher's attempt to divorce himself from superhero movies, Andrew Garfield — the latest actor to portray Spider-Man — is also starring in Fincher's upcoming film "The Social Network."

"I can't imagine [Garfield] in spandex, I can't imagine him being comfortable," said Fincher. "He's a wonderful actor, he's incredibly skilled and empathic and a lovely guy. So it's nice to see that."

Fincher is also attached to produce Eric Powell's "The Goon" as an animated feature.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Emma Stone is Gwen Stacy in 'Spider-Man' Reboot
By Christopher Campbell; Cinematical

It was an easy mistake, yesterday's report that Emma Stone was being offered the part of Mary Jane Watson in the 'Spider-Man' reboot. The actress is a (dyed) redhead, "MJ" is a redhead. We can't fault anyone, let alone Deadline for getting it wrong. But now the truth is out, by way of Sony themselves, and while Stone is indeed going to be in the superhero movie, she'll be playing the part of another Peter Parker/Spider-Man girlfriend, Gwen Stacy.

Yes, the blond one. But it all makes perfect sense. In 'Spider-Man 3,' Stacy was portrayed by Bryce Dallas Howard, a natural redhead. And in the same franchise Kirsten Dunst, normally a blond, filled the role of Watson. So don't be surprised if a typically blond actress -- perhaps Mia Wasikowski -- is soon cast as that later love interest (assuming the rebooted series is, as rumored, going with a faithful Spidey chronology). Wait, though, does this mean she's going to be killed off in the next installment and not stay the course of the reworked series as we happily thought?

Can you picture Stone with bleached locks? The best we can find for how she might look is the above photo from our 'The Rocker' set visit, but her hair is still technically red in the comedy, only a lighter shade than we're now used to seeing her with. Regardless, she's sure to look great however they do her, dyed or wigged. And we're still super excited to see her breaking further forth into stardom and curious about how well she'll do opposite Andrew Garfield as the costumed webslinger.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

I say yes to fiveheads nation. She'll be perfect. This might turn out pretty good after all. Can't be worst than the Spiderman sequels really.

Stefen

See, the thing for me is, this comic book movie fad has been going on for too long. Usually fads die out, lay dormant, then rear their faddy head years later. Not comic book movies. They've been in for 10 years. The market is so over-saturated with them, yet it doesn't die. When the fad dies, then is reborn, the films are usually dubbed remakes, but this fad hasn't died out and they're already remaking the films from 4 years ago only they're dubbing them reboots because they know not enough time has passed for a remake. I mean think about that. XMen, Spiderman, Superman, these aren't being remade. They're being rebooted because they were just made a few years ago.

Comic book movies have given Hollywood the perfect way to make movies that appeal to American sensibilities, without actually appealing to them. Hollywood wants to make and audiences want to see movies where the good guys and bad guys are spelled out for you so you don't get confused which side is which, they want to see explosions and cool shit happening, they want to see movies where dudes get to be awesome and badass and women dress skimpy and sexy/provocative, but they don't want to admit it because it makes them seem simple and dumb because that's like the most basic level of entertainment. No thought is needed when watching most comic book films. With comic book movies it gives people the out of not feeling guilty for watching something so basic because, hey, nerds read comics and they also do math and solve puzzles and shit. "And the characters are wearing costumes! I don't take this seriously! It's just a good time, bro."

With most fads, they get played out because everyone starts following them and they don't seem cool anymore so they die out and a new fad is born, but comic book movies seem to be the first time where studios and audiences are in agreement and as long as Hollywood keeps churning out these movies about good guys vs bad guys with explosions and sexy dressed women, the audiences will continue to support them. Wait, what? Out of ideas? No more comic book characters to make? Fuck it. REBOOT!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

Master post.

I agree with what you say. But, as I said earlier (and pete said like 5 posts later as if it was his idea) comic books have been rebooting since forever! So maybe it's what you said, or maybe it's just that comic books are basically made to be reimagined and rebooted.

pete

it's a little bit of both: studios, more than ever, are looking for safe bets as their tentpoles and have found that in comicbooks - the whole "same, only different" mantra has become a dogma, and the comicbook people are saying "well, check out this thing that we do all the time in our industry."
also it sounds like a few nerds have ascended pretty close to the throne in this multi-billion dollar industry and aren't willing to lose their relevance.
so we don't have original characters like the die hard dude or the lethal weapon dude.  fuck.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Rhys Ifans Will Play Villain In 'Spider-Man' Reboot
Source: The Playlist

The Hollywood career of Welsh actor Rhys Ifans has been somewhat stop-start since his break-out role in "Notting Hill" --despite turning in solid work in British flicks like "Enduring Love" and "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," his adventures across the pond have mostly consisted of the underwhelming likes of "Little Nicky" and "The Shipping News." But coming off the back of an excellent supporting role in Noah Baumbach's "Greenberg," and with Roland Emmerich's "Anonymous" and a role in the final "Harry Potter" films on the way, Ifans looks set to book a role that'll prove to be easily the most high profile of his career. According to Mike Fleming at Deadline, Ifans has been offered the role of the villain of Marc Webb's reboot of the studio's golden goose "Spider-Man." Ifans would join Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, who've already been cast as, respectively, Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy. There's no firm word on who the actor would play if he takes the role (and we can't imagine why he wouldn't): The Lizard has been rumored to be the villain in the picture, but recent reports have pegged Venom as making a possible reappearance. Michael Fassbender, Christoph Waltz and, more recently, Philip Seymour Hoffman have all been linked to the role, but it looks like Ifans has landed it --we imagine that Hoffman turned the project down, if it even reached that stage. Whoever Ifans ends up playing, it's another interesting, and somewhat offbeat, addition to a very strong cast for a project that few held hopes for when it was announced. Update: A press release has gone out confirming that Ifans has signed on. Columbia Pictures president Matt Tolmach commented that "We have been very fortunate to attract some of the best actors working today to play the villains in the Spider-Man movies, and it is exciting to see that trend continue with Rhys Ifans. After seeing his performance in our upcoming film "Anonymous," we're in awe of his talent and think he's the perfect choice to take on this role," while director Webb added "What sets the Spider-Man villains apart is the complexity of their relationships with Peter Parker. Rhys' incredible ability to embody both warmth and rage makes him the ideal choice for this character." While there's still no word of who Ifans will be playing, Webb's statement sounds like it could be hinting towards The Lizard --the 'complex' relationship and mix of 'warmth and rage' certainly sound about right. We're sure it'll be made clear down the line.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rhys Ifans Will Be.... The Lizard?
by Edward Douglas; THR

According to TheWrap, they've figured out who the villain in Marc Webb's Untitled Spider-Man Reboot will be, as played by the recently-announced Rhys Ifans, and it's a villain that's been discussed to be in the fourth movie even back when Sam Raimi was still going to direct it... The Lizard!

In the previous trilogy, The Lizard's alter-ego Dr. Curt Connors was played by actor Dylan Baker, who had originally assumed he would be returning for Raimi's fourth movie, saying that the Lizard would indeed be next, but when it was decided to reboot the franchise and Marc Webb was brought on board, it was thought that maybe those plans had changed.

Who knows if and when Sony Pictures will make their own announcement confirming this (or not) or we find out who leaked this information? (Andrew Garfield was in London for the premiere of his new film Never Let Me Go tonight, so maybe that's where it came from? TheWrap ain't sayin'.)

Either way, as fans who have been waiting for nearly ten months to find out more about what will happen with this reboot, let us know what you think of this choice.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Sally Field, Martin Sheen look to join 'Spider-Man'
Actors in talks to join the cast of Sony's upcoming reboot
Source: Variety

Sally Field and Martin Sheen look to join the cast of Sony's upcoming "Spider-Man" project.

Field has been offered the role of Aunt May, the matriarch of character Peter Parker's family while Sheen is in final talks to play Uncle Ben.

Sony wouldn't comment on either casting.

If cast, Field and Sheen would join Andrew Garfield as Spidey and Emma Stone, who is set to play Gwen Stacy, in the Marc Webb-helmed pic. Rhys Ifans will play the pic's villain.

Thursday's news comes days after former Col prexy Matt Tolmach ankled to form his own production company. "Spider-Man 4" is Tolmach's next producing credit, alongside Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin.

The "Spider-Man" pic is set to go into production in December and will be released in 3D on July 3, 2012.

Skeleton FilmWorks