Juno

Started by MacGuffin, September 15, 2007, 10:44:31 AM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick on January 03, 2008, 10:52:23 PM
ok try this one.

modage took a dump in a paper bag, polky lit it, and gamblour put it on GT's doorstep.

beautiful. the best memory of billy madison served right there.

modage

my mother was raped by a dump in a paper bag.  :yabbse-angry:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Quote from: modage on January 03, 2008, 11:00:36 PM
my mother was raped by a dump in a paper bag.  :yabbse-angry:

It was my dump.  :doh:
WWPTAD?

Stefen

This thread will be better than the actual movie if I ever see it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

It already is.  But to digress for a moment...

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 03, 2008, 02:08:35 PM
spoilers......

Juno didn't discover herself either. She didn't realize at the end she was a fucking retard. She just realized you have to be with the person you are most compatible to be with. A quiet scene ends with her and Cerna playing music, but he's a fucking tool to think she will just all of a sudden become worry free.

MORE SPOILERS

Yeah, I'm actually going to have to retract my statement that this sat better with me than Little Miss Sunshine.  The more I've thought about it, the less slack I'm willing to give it.  I wanted to like this movie so much that I glossed over the very end because it picked up after the halfway point.  But it's been bugging me that she gives the baby to Jennifer Garner, she and Michael Cera have a little cry and then they're back to their old dynamic again in the next scene.  I have a friend who gave up her baby for adoption and it really devastated her; it still affects her now, several years after the fact.  I'm not saying that everyone will react that exact way or that Juno should have ended on a down note but GT is 100% right, there's no growth.  You're never the same person after going through something like that but Juno seems to be back to business as usual afterwards, or at least we never see that she has changed.  Playing a song with her boyfriend just isn't enough for me.  I'm all for an upbeat ending but don't be disingenuous about it.

cine

way to take a dump in the thread sparrow.

grand theft sparrow

I only did it so I could rape a paper bag with it later.

abuck1220

man, this really pissed me off. from the zach braff-style hipster name dropping bullshit to the constant attempt to cram in as many zingers as possible in every single scene, i just kept getting more and more annoyed. i mean, shit, a 16 year old announces her pregnancy, and every character in the scene takes turns dropping zany one-liners like it's a fucking abbott and costello routine. and every damn character told exactly the same joke in the same style with the same voice. what completely amateurish screenwriting.

it's too bad too, because if 75% of the yuks would have been taken out, i think it may have worked.

also, i really hate girls that act like juno.

Gamblour.

Sexism continues...

Variety's Peter Bart Asks Diablo Cody When She'll "Be A Normal Woman and Have Children"

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/01/06/varietys-peter-bart-asks-diablo-cody-when-shell-be-a-normal-w/
WWPTAD?

john

Diablo Cody: Still a piece of shit.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

I was seeing that woman everywhere and it wasn't until just NOW I realized she's famous for writing this movie.

I keep hearing the screenplay is terrible so maybe she should just have kids and become a housewife. Once she's out of her 20's no man will want her.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reinhold

SPOILERS

did garner's placement of the note (with juno's name on it and her family's payment info on the back) over the baby's bed hint at the possibility of an open adoption after all? that has a little to do with me liking the end.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: reinhold on January 11, 2008, 11:39:58 AM
SPOILERS

did garner's placement of the note (with juno's name on it and her family's payment info on the back) over the baby's bed hint at the possibility of an open adoption after all? that has a little to do with me liking the end.

Doubtful. It would go against the fact that Juno says the baby wasn't hers and that she and her bf had no interest to see it afterwards. I think the placement of the note was a small error by the writer.

Redlum

I re-watched some of Ghost World yesterday and it put Juno into some kind of perspective for me. Give me Enid over Juno, any day.

Then I just read that Brad Renfro has been found dead and now I'm really sad and disturbed.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ravi

Quote from: Redlum on January 16, 2008, 04:52:53 AM
I re-watched some of Ghost World yesterday and it put Juno into some kind of perspective for me. Give me Enid over Juno, any day.

Interesting you bring up Ghost World, because I brought it up to a friend regarding problems I had with the style of Juno.  Ghost World and Juno both have protagonists who are teenage girls with obscure tastes and a dislike of their suburban surroundings.  But the dialogue of GW was not constantly referencing music and movies and Terry Zwigoff didn't stuff the soundtrack with a bunch of hipstery songs.