Marie Antoinette

Started by modage, August 11, 2004, 09:58:49 PM

for petes sake

MacGuffin

Marie Antoinette Graces DVD
Sofia Coppola's film heads home in Feb.

On February 13, 2007, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release Marie Antoinette on DVD and Blu-ray. The remake of the smash hit from the 1930s is showcased by a stunning performance from Kirsten Dunst, and will feature tons of bonus materials and extra features over two discs. It will be available for the MSRP of $26.98.

The Marie Antoinette DVD will feature the following bonus materials:

Deleted Scenes
Making-of Featurette
"Cribs Featurette" - Jason Schwartzman gives the viewer a tour of Versailles in the vein of the MTV show

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Remake?

"Tons of bonus materials"?

Ravi

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on December 21, 2006, 10:33:13 PM
"Tons of bonus materials"?

"Cribs Featurette" will be over four hours long.

for petes sake

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 21, 2006, 11:14:19 AM

Why didn't they just use the poster?  That cover is u-u-ugly.

The Perineum Falcon

I don't remember the poster being much better.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

picolas

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: picolas on December 22, 2006, 03:40:29 PM
cover's better.

I'm with picolas on this one. I like how the color blends in the poster a little better but that poster-pose is just hideous.

squints

This is what they should've done for the dvd and the poster

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Chest Rockwell

Xx

soixante

Finally saw it last night.  I thought it was great.  The decor, costumes and cinematography were impeccable, as I expected, but I was fully emotionally engaged for the entire time.  The acting was wonderful.  The use of anachronistic music (Adam and the Ants, Bow Wow Wow) actually worked.  I suppose the conceit behind it is that whether we're in the 18th or 21st century, rituals and customs change, but the human heart remains the same.

Coppola shows us an alien world with peculiar rituals, through the eyes of an innocent girl who just wants to be happy.

In some ways, Marie Antoinette is similar to Lost in Translation, in that both films deal with young women who are isolated in a strange country, longing to make a connection with somebody.

Sofia Coppola has a wonderful eye for details -- both in decor and in human behavior, in rituals, processions and natural idylls.  Like Kubrick and Malick, she is patient and is expert at capturing the telling detail.

The use of natural light, in actual 18th century settings, and what I assume to be hand-sewn costumes, was a marvel to behold.  It is no accident that Coppola employed Milena Canonero, who created the costumes for Barry Lyndon.

In sum, the harsh critical reaction to this film seems unjustified to me.
Music is your best entertainment value.

for petes sake

Quote from: flagpolespecial on December 26, 2006, 07:36:19 AM
i see a little bit of influence from malick in this film.

I absolutely agree with this.  Especially the part where she first retreats into her Garden estate, I remember thinking that that whole section felt like one big montage, much like The New World.

MacGuffin

Quote from: for petes sake on January 03, 2007, 05:58:37 PM
Quote from: flagpolespecial on December 26, 2006, 07:36:19 AM
i see a little bit of influence from malick in this film.

I absolutely agree with this.  Especially the part where she first retreats into her Garden estate, I remember thinking that that whole section felt like one big montage, much like The New World.

You guys must have missed:

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 25, 2006, 01:29:42 AMBadlands
Some of the outdoor scenes in Marie were ''definitely an homage to Terrence Malick movies,'' Coppola says. ''They all have that quiet look at nature.''
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks