Million Dollar Baby

Started by MacGuffin, December 01, 2004, 07:02:07 PM

Ghostboy

Nah, it takes place in LA. Only accent comes from Hilary Swank.

I think Mystic River is a masterpiece precisely because it is operatic. Laura Linney's final scene made the movie for me. It was at that point that I absolutely loved it. I know a lot of people feel exactly the opposite, though.

Anyway, Million Dollar Baby is more like SPOILER The Sea Inside than Rocky, if that says anything...(too much, probably)...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GhostboyI think Mystic River is a masterpiece precisely because it is operatic. Laura Linney's final scene made the movie for me. It was at that point that I absolutely loved it. I know a lot of people feel exactly the opposite, though.
That would be me. The ending with the parade and everything was just cheesy, like it's supposed to be The Godfather now, and the Laura Linney scene had royalty metaphors (Sean Penn is the "king") even cheesier than Spartan. Not to mention that's precisely when the nails-on-the-chalkboard screamingly fake accents really climax. Ughhh!

xerxes

i have to agree with jeremy here. there are a lot of things i admired about mystic river, but that last monologue was absurd, or that's how it struck me anyway.

samsong

Someone's gotta back Ghostboy up... I too think Mystic River is a masterpiece and loved Linney's final scene; it's completely cinematic and, as Ghostboy already pointed out, operatic.  Mystic River is the closest thing to Shakespeare as done by Nicholas Ray or Howard Hawks (unless either actually did a Shakespeare adaptation... I'm no expert on either of them), an intense film noir that powerfully conveys and observes the most fundamental of human emotions/nature with confident patience and a sense of pure drama.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: xerxesi have to agree with jeremy here. there are a lot of things i admired about mystic river, but that last monologue was absurd, or that's how it struck me anyway.

Definitely. First, it was a speech and a long one by that. Before, the movie did pretty well without having to vocalize its drama this way and so it felt awkward because it was. Furthermore, it was given by a character who had the least screen presence time of any of the main characters in the entire film and that felt desperate for the film to include every character in at least one pivotal scene. (On hindsight, I'm surprised Laurence Fishburne's character didn't do a similiar thing) Then, there was new information, a new perspective of how to view Penn's tradegy and mindset and that came across as pretensious in the way bad dramas do when they reveal more information about the character's history in the last 20 minutes then the entire story before.

This really was one of the big fault scenes, but another was when it was revealed who really killed Penn's daughter. That was just cliche murder mystery and didn't elevate the wonderful depth the story had brought to a simple crime film. Mystic River is a really good film, but far from perfect.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: samsongloved Linney's final scene; it's completely cinematic and, as Ghostboy already pointed out, operatic.  Mystic River is the closest thing to Shakespeare as done by Nicholas Ray or Howard Hawks
But it's such an awkward and self-aware operaticness. Really, what else in the movie had anything to do with that scene? Even if I could wade through the comical accents, I think that scene is far from convincing. It so takes you out of the movie... I wish I could remember the actual lines, but it's like... "You're the King. I'm the Queen. This town is our kingdom. Hmm, which one do you want to be... Capulet or Montague?" It's a parody!

cine

Anyway, getting back to Million Dollar Baby... am I the second person on here to see this? I am, aren't I?  Lucky me.

Million Dollar Baby is such a masterpiece, I would be okay with this sweeping at the Oscars and not the Aviator. Haven't seen Aviator, obviously, but we all know how much I'm gunning for that film to clean up. Not anymore. I don't see how another movie this year is going to move me like Million Dollar Baby did. Everyone see this movie when you can.. cause it's going to kick your ass. And if you didn't like Mystic River and you also dislike this, there's something terribly wrong with you.

I gotta recollect my thoughts.. I don't want to echo Ebert's thoughts and say it's the "best film of the year" since I haven't seen the rest of the releases.. but this is right at the top of the list for now.

Spoilers: I fell in love with these characters so much that I was almost crying in the final scene with Eastwood cutting off her air supply. Swank will beat out Bening AGAIN for Best Actress.. and it's going to be wonderful.

Stefen

What the? So this movie is dominating all of a sudden? I didn't even see a trailer till last week and havent heard anything about it. Now it's dominating everything. That speaks volumes really, and I hope it doesn't get overhyped before I get a chance to see it. I have dvd's of Garden State (yeah, I know), Open Water, Napoleon Dynamite, and Shaun Of The Dead with me right now that I got today and I haven't seen any of them. I'm so awesome.

P.S. - Mystic River is the goat.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

yeah, where the hell did this come from?  mini-rant: i hate awards/nominations being announced for a movie that HASNT BEEN RELEASED!  

worst title ever.

i really liked mystic river, but dont really have any interest in seeing this other than seeing if it is that good.  but if it didnt have these incredible reviews behind it, its doubtful i would seek this out.  it looks like i will have to see this now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: themodernage02i hate awards/nominations being announced for a movie that HASNT BEEN RELEASED!  

It has been released, though. Just hasn't made it to your city yet. To be nominated for anything, a film has to be released. Unless it's critics awards, since critics see everything early and they feel okay jumping the gun a little bit.

Anyway, see it. It's as good as everyone's saying. The more I think about it, the more I love it. And it's a good title, too, although I guess if you don't get it now, it'll make sense when you see the film.

Myxo

This is the finest movie of the year, hands down. I don't wanna ruin it for anyone but god damn I am impressed. I thought Mystic River was good. Whew! This is a fuckin classic.

modage

Quote from: GhostboyTo be nominated for anything, a film has to be released.
then how is the aviator up for a bunch of awards when it doesnt even open in NY/LA/SF till tomorrow?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Hmmm, good point. I guess the Golden Globes operate on the same basis as the Critics' Association.

So to prove that I do know what I'm talking about, let me revise my statement: a film has to be released before the end of December to qualify for awards, but as long as voting parties see the films, they can form opinions/cast votes on them, with the knowledge that these films will be opening within the next few weeks/months within the guidelines set by the AMPAS.

Also, in regards to Million Dollar Baby -- while it is THAT good, and you SHOULD believe the hype, at the same time I imagine that all this praise might hurt it for some people. Case in point: while it's nothing like Lost In Translation, like that film its qualities are of a very understated, subtle nature, and if people go in expecting greatness of a more grandiose sort, they may wonder why everything's so quiet.

modage

yes, i know it has to be released by the end of the year to qualify for awards, but i re-iteriate my previous pet peeve: i hate awards/nominations being announced for a movie that HASNT BEEN RELEASED!  and as scorsese said in an interview, audiences begin to resent you telling them how much they should like something by announcing all this award buzz this early.  its better for a film like Sideways to have a few months to play and for people to hear about gradually and to be nominated than for a film to not even be out yet and be up for 12 catagories.  you know what i'm saying?

i will see this, though.

Pozer

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: xerxesi have to agree with jeremy here. there are a lot of things i admired about mystic river, but that last monologue was absurd, or that's how it struck me anyway.

Definitely. First, it was a speech and a long one by that. Before, the movie did pretty well without having to vocalize its drama this way and so it felt awkward because it was. Furthermore, it was given by a character who had the least screen presence time of any of the main characters in the entire film and that felt desperate for the film to include every character in at least one pivotal scene. (On hindsight, I'm surprised Laurence Fishburne's character didn't do a similiar thing) Then, there was new information, a new perspective of how to view Penn's tradegy and mindset and that came across as pretensious in the way bad dramas do when they reveal more information about the character's history in the last 20 minutes then the entire story before.

This really was one of the big fault scenes, but another was when it was revealed who really killed Penn's daughter. That was just cliche murder mystery and didn't elevate the wonderful depth the story had brought to a simple crime film. Mystic River is a really good film, but far from perfect.
As I said before, after the scene with Penn walking down the street it should have went to the teaser trailer over the river to the bar where they "buried their sins" with Clint's voice over. This would have been a perfect/more powerful ending in my oppinion.