A Scanner Darkly

Started by MacGuffin, May 04, 2004, 04:19:44 AM

Ghostboy

Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollarI hope now everyone will see how Waking Life was just a horrible, necessary step to reach this...fucking genius.

As good as I think A Scanner Darkly looks, I don't think it will be nearly as great as Waking Life.

SPOILER
The trailer does indeed seem to be made up footage mostly drawn from the last third of the book (the interview with the psychologists, in particular), but all sources say that the movies is incredibly faithful to the book. Thus, this is likely a case of climax-centered marketing. Which is fine, because it'll draw more crowds, and movies like this need to make money.

RegularKarate

I really didn't like Waking Life very much, but I liked the animation.  This animation doesn't look as good to me though.  It's like I can see the DV through the animation and it doesn't necessarily fit that well over it.

Now that I think of it, if it would have only been animated in a few scenes, I think it might be cooler.

We'll see though... it's just a trailer.

SPOILERS

When I say it contains spoilers, I'm referring to the fact that Donna is seen at the end in what I can only assume is the second to last scene, giving away the only thing to really give away in the story.  Not a big deal though.

Ghostboy

Hmmm. I just talked to a friend of mine who's got a friend working on the film, and apparently it's probably gonna be pushed back to first quarter of next year. So in all likelihood, Bad News Bears is going to come out first.

meatwad

matt35mm

You have to copy:

http://www.latinoreview.com/films_2005/showest/scannerdarkly.jpg

and paste it into your browser bar thingy.  You can't link it.

Anyway, I like the poster.  And it totally sucks if it's true that this will be pushed back.

picolas

meatball

Nice poster, but it's still another bighead.

Rudie Obias

no mention of richard linklater in the poster at all...
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

meatball

Pubrick

welcome to the first page, aka 10 months ago..
Quote from: Ghostboythese pics
under the paving stones.

Redlum

So this is 2006 now! Boo. This was the only interesting movie on my horizon for this year.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

RegularKarate

Quote from: ®edlumSo this is 2006 now! Boo. This was the only interesting movie on my horizon for this year.

Word on the street from those here who have seen it is that it's boring and needs some serious fixin'.

Ghostboy

Also, more word on the street suggests that Bob Sabiston (developer of the Waking Life software) and his team quit.

matt35mm

NO!

Why????  What is going on with this world?  I need this movie to be good, I just need it!

MacGuffin

Comic-Con 2005: Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly Panel
New details drop about the new Richard Linklater pic.

Comic-Con attendees got their first exclusive look at Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly here in San Diego. More of the story unspooled today in an extended trailer created specifically for the Con and a three-minute clip starring Woody Harrelson, Wynona Ryder, Keanu Reeves, and a frenetic Robert Downey Jr. A Scanner Darkly is a Richard Linklater animated film using "interpolated rotoscoping," a technique where animators overlay existing live-action content. It's Linklater's second foray into the technique, having first dipped in for Waking Life.

The film is looking fantastic. In the three-minute sequence, Robert Downey Jr.'s character has just purchased what could be a stolen bike and goes home to ruminate on his purchase with his friends. What follows is the kind of staccato dialog that Linklater excels at. The animation is a step beyond that of Waking Life, with considerably more detail in facial expressions and movement, a conscious effort on the part of the animators.

Producers Tommy Pallotta and Lead Animators Sterling Allen, Evan Cagle, Nick Derrington, Christopher Jennings, and a Philip K. Dick "android" took questions from the audience. Things IGN has learned:

Filming was completed last year

Tentative release date of March 2006, but there is "another Keanu film" out around that same time. As for the release date constantly shifting, Pallotta says he believes that was because the studio initially set the date without checking in with them to see how long it was going to take to complete.

The actors worked for scale and so the entire production costs did not exceed $8 million dollar budget.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks