The Dreamers

Started by MacGuffin, December 19, 2003, 09:28:32 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest RockwellI want to see this sooo much. Is there a chance it will ever see a wide release?

NC-17 rated movies never get wide releases.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Chest RockwellI want to see this sooo much. Is there a chance it will ever see a wide release?

Well I guess that's better than seeing it come here and then not being able to see it because of my short 5'9" stature.

cine

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Well I guess that's better than seeing it come here and then not being able to see it because of my short 5'9" stature.
They'd probably giggle and send you to Eurotrip.

Film Student

I must say, I haven't had a cinematic experience like this since Magnolia... from the opening voice over prologue I was smiling from ear-to-ear.  This movie encapsulates everything I love about film.  Godardian most definitely put it best, so I'll spare you the long-winded review, but i have to say i was completely blown away. Like I said, I haven't been this excited or inspired by a movie since I saw magnolia.  It left me completely delirious.

Its playing, with print ads, here in oklahoma (specifically tulsa, where I drove two hours to see it), and this is the buckle of the bible belt, so hopefully it will play successfully across the country.  the theatre was packed too, and unlike the passion, no one was angered or shocked to the point of leaving early.  Most of the patrons seemed to react in the same way I did; I looked around and everyone was grinning, laughing, gasping, and just enjoying the spectacular experience of seeing a hypnotically wonderful film.

My God, this movie is INCREDIBLE.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

samsong

I've come to conclude that those who hail The Passion of the Christ as the first great and most important film of the 21st century haven't seen THIS film.  First, though, I must admit that this was my first experience with a Bertolucci film.  But when a virigin to a director's work, I can't think of a better way to have had my cherry popped.

Godardian, Ghostboy, and Film Student have all expressed similar thoughts and mine will be no different.  I don't think I've ever been this giddy about a movie since, well, ever.  The Dreamers couldn't possibly be better.  I'm convinced that it's one of the greatest films ever made... that said, one must take into consideration that I am still trying to catch my breath, attempting to recooperate from my experience... but I guess in the end it's all futile.  And to tell you the truth I don't ever want it to end.

A famous Truffaut quote I'm sure all of you know is this: "I demand that a film express either the joy of making cinema or the agony of making cinema. I am not at all interested in anything in between."  In no other film have I felt such a love for cinema that expresses the "joy of making cinema" as vividly and powerfully as The Dreamers.  It pulsates with love, passion, obsession, completely and utter desire for cinema.  I found it amusing that Theo quoted Godard's statement about Nicholas Ray ("Nicholas Ray is cinema"...and hell yea he is) in a film that is pure cinema.  I would like to say that Bertolucci is motherfucking cinema.  If ever I see a better representation of both my passion of cinema and why I love it, I'm not sure if I could handle it.  In fact, I was glad The Dreamers started to slow down a bit after the best 40 minutes of my life.. had that not happend I would've had a seizure.  

To list the specific things I loved would be in impossible task.. or would require me to describe in full detail the movie in its entirety.  Most of you know about the great things this film has to offer and to those who don't, I'd MUCH rather leave it for you to experience on your own.  But something I love about Bertolucci's masterpiece is that it makes cinema feel alive... alive in the most monumental way.  Watching The Dreamers was like watching the resurrection of the masters who made the art we love what it is today, as well as the rejuvenation of the legends that still live today.  It is a spiritual cleansing for any and all lovers of cinema.  

I guess all that was really general... but I come baring the truth.  I'm sure others who have had the good fortune of seeing the film can atest to that.  But on a personal leve... the film achieves a sort of Bunuelian surrealism and dream logic that completely blew me away (along with just about everything else in the film).  Lately I've been trying to see as much Bunuel as I can, and I absolutely love the man and I could definitely see his hand in The Dreamers... or at least I think so.  Yet another reason I love the film.

All I can reallly say is that I believe that The Dreamers is perfect... it was for me anyway.  If there's anyting wrong with it, I can't see the flaws.

I doubt I will see a better film this year.  I haven't had a film speak to me and resonate so deeply as this one has since I first saw Sunrise.

Thank you, Bernardo.

Pedro

modage

alright alright, i'm going to see this now...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

samsong

Quote from: Pedro the Wombatdamn my age

Where do you live? I ask because I just turned 17 this past Sunday (which is when I saw it) and shouldn't have been let in according the WONDERFUL MPAA's standards.  But I'll go on if (and only if!) you live in Southern California.

Gold Trumpet

Just sneak in. So many easy ways of doing it. Everyone does it and the only thing they do if they catch you is just kick you out. Sneak in! And if you're unsure about how to sneak in, then make a thread about it in Idle Chatter. I'm sure everyone has a technique they are willing to share.

Pedro

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

Just sneak in. So many easy ways of doing it. Everyone does it and the only thing they do if they catch you is just kick you out. Sneak in! And if you're unsure about how to sneak in, then make a thread about it in Idle Chatter. I'm sure everyone has a technique they are willing to share.
well, yeah, that's probably what i'll end up doing.  they'll probably be surprised i went to such an arty thing anyway.

oh, have you seen this yet, gt?

Gold Trumpet

This weekend......this weekend.

ono

Haha - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309987/.  Under Genre this is listed as a "Family" picture.  Looks like someone at IMDb is having a little fun.  Great.

I saw this Friday night.  I was a bit annoyed in the theatre I was in as the sound was horrible, causing me to miss out on some key bits of dialogue.  It almost made me wish the movie was entirely in French instead of just partially, because that would've helped it more thanks to the subtitles.  I sat in the back and saw four-ish people walk out, after the first 40 minutes involving the most graphic of sex scenes, fittingly enough.  I loved this film despite its flaws, which I will admit to it having.  The thing about this film is there are so many moments of greatness that overshadow its flaws.  Little bits of dialogue that are so telling (like Matthew lashing out at Isabelle when she wants to shave his pubic hair), shots that show the director and cinematographer really know what they're doing, and the whole mood of the movie in general.  The idea of these young adults acting so childlike, yet not really childish, and all of them oblivious to the world around them and naive in their own way.  I would've liked more explanation of the history behind the riots, and a more concrete resolution rather than an ellipsis, but I guess that can be forgiven because of the overall effect which this film creates.

The music was great.  I really was sucked into the movie immediately because of it and the opening sequence of shots.  Seeing this film reminded me how many films I hadn't seen, and though I wasn't too fond of A bout de souffle, it was cool to see it referenced, as it was probably the only film reference I was immediately familiar with.  There are two sides to the argument of whether the interweaving of shots was a gimmick or more than that.  The friend I was with didn't really like the film and seemed to think of that and the overt sexuality both as gimmicks.  I'm undecided, and there are some things that really needn't be analyzed to death, especially when the effect they create is such a nice, euphoric one.

One of those giddy moments, odd as it may seem to me, was in the bathroom when the three are in the tub, with the three-sided mirror on the side.  How that is set up, with the reflections basically shifting where the three of them in the frame, well, I can't put my finger on it, but it's such a nice touch and I don't know why.  Normally, shots such as these are amateur, but the way this one is done really elevates the scene to that of a future archetype.

There are little things like this sprinkled all throughout the film, such as the way Isabelle's virginity was revealed and lost, her having a period while sleeping in the tub with the boys, and the way Isabelle's and Theo's parents find them which really adds to this overall ambiguous, euphoric tone.  It conveys, I think, a longing these three have for the best of both worlds.  This dream they have of a certain type of life, a wanting to remain as children while exploring adult situations and dodging the realities of life re: the riots.  They are all naive, even Matthew, the most level-headed one, the anti-violent one, when he cries out as the twins start to "rape" him, saying "I won't resist!"  Obviously there's a lot here Bertolucci wants you to think about, and it is a bit messy, but no film is perfect, and it is usually the messy, reaching ones that dare to touch greatness.  I can't wait for the DVD.  This is one I'll revisit over and over again through the years.  **** (9/10)

Henry Hill

has this film hit a wide release yet?

ono

Pubrick

damn. that was asked at the top of this page.

that's sum wack reading skills filmboy.

with this and the Be Cool ratner thing, i gotta ask.. hav u suffered any head injuries lately?
under the paving stones.