Cabin Fever

Started by MacGuffin, June 17, 2003, 11:01:19 AM

MacGuffin

Oh Boy, did I enjoy this film! It started out with lots of laughs, but by the end no one in the audience was laughing. It was chilling and creepy, with a lot of "Oh, Shit!" moments. Did it break new ground for horror like Roth said it would? No, but it was great to see a true fan of horror do things right in this genre for a change. And you can tell Roth was a huge fan of "Evil Dead" 'cause the cabin resembled the cabin in "Evil Dead" to a T, even with the porch swing, and even naming some characters "Shemp" and "Fake Shemp".

The characters didn't come of as dumb and annoying. You felt for them. My only complaint though was the party cop. He was too over the top. But, still, I got a few chills during some scenes, and I believe the ending will blow everyone away!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Anachronism

Yeah I'm gonna have to give it two thumbs up. As people had already mentioned it is tribute to the whole Raimi/Tapert paradigm of Evil Deadosity. I can't remember who said they saw it and nobody else was laughing but the exact same thing happened to my brother and I. There were spots where I could not stop laughing and people were giving me the "eye." The whole awkward feeling of 'feeling' like you were watching another movie was almost as intense as when I saw "American Pyscho" and everyone was laughing their asses off except for me :( But yeah the nudity was worth a good quarter wood and although it takes some really hardcore nightmarish shit to get me cringing the scare factor was almost there. The credits made me laugh so hard I nearly shat myself, it was somewhat reminiscent of a "Dukes of Hazzard" episode sans hillibilly narrative. But yeah if you want some easy feels off your lady folk take them to see this flick they will be cringing left right and centre while you get the good and the laughs... hopefully :O

P.SpOILER Always dip your finger in the water before going in, that way you make sure her junk isn't in dire straits... yikes

Jeremy Blackman

I loved this movie, almost everything about it... especially the chilling moments of moral blurriness. I didn't like the joke at the end though... it was weak and defeated. The lemonade thing was beautiful, though.

Quote from: AnachronismThere were spots where I could not stop laughing and people were giving me the "eye."

(SPOILER) That happened to me when the rednecks see the bloody mess outside of the cabin and one of them (carrying a shotgun) says "This ain't Christian."

Quote from: AnachronismThe whole awkward feeling of 'feeling' like you were watching another movie was almost as intense as when I saw "American Pyscho" and everyone was laughing their asses off except for me

The same thing happened to me with American Psycho (though I can laugh at it now). Ditto with A Clockwork Orange.

RegularKarate

The Alamo Draft House is now giving out free lemonade during the screenings of this movie... people are happily sipping aways until the end (don't get bitchy, this isn't a spoiler).

©brad

when i saw chocolat the theater gave me a piece of chocolate. cute huh.

modage

i liked this movie too.  although, it was not what i expected.  so, in a way, this too was disappointing.  it doesnt really live up to the hype of "what horror fans have been waiting for".  i think my biggest problem with the movie is when the shit starts hitting the fan, it doesnt go far enough.  like, when evil dead goes off the deep end, it goes off the fucking deep end.  but this seemed to be grounded in some sort of reality.  i would have rather all mayhem broken loose and them hacking each other to pieces and crazies busting in and turning to zombies.  but, like i told my girlfriend who liked it, but less, i guess you can fault a movie for what you expected it to be.  i guess this is just the case of a cool little movie where the marketing campaign outweighs the film.  great posters, trailers, etc.  good movie.  i liked it better than 28 days later.  it bugged me in 28days when they got to the camp and started to have a moral.  this was just fun.  it didnt try to be anything it wasnt.  ending was a little silly, other than that i liked the humor.  it just wasnt that scary.  it had some nice gross moments.  and i liked the characters. the writing and acting and direction for the most part was well done.  especially for a movie done under a million bucks, it looked like a million bucks.  so i hope this is a success, and out of its ashes will rise a new wave of low budget great horror movies.  i guess we'll see.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

I was slightly dissapointed as others were with this movie but dont get me wrong i still liked it.  The movie seemed to suffer from all the hype but thats not the movies fault so anyways.  I'll post what i saw as cons first.  The movie kinda needed to pick a genre.  I felt while watching it that i wasnt even that scared and that i was laughing more than i was tensing up.  In horror comedy adds lightness and serves as a releif from the suspense.  Cabin Fever seemed to go the other way around.  It was like the tension played second hand to the comedy.  Im not saying it was always like this im just saying sometimes i got that feeling.  I read this movie had "real" characters with "realistic" dialoge.  I cringed during a couple of the deliveries and found that theses characters werent very realistic.  Granted this was a horror flick but going in i had a different vision.  I thought the term "Gay" was overused.  Roth seemed to use that as a joke but the only time i thought it worked was during the squirell line which i found very amusing.  I was a little dissapointed with the nudity in the film.  I could be wrong but i dont think you ever see two nipples in one shot.  Roth talked about how nudity was so key but the sex scenes were so short and shot from such angles that the nudity was not very affective.  I must say that Freddy vs Jason knew how to show a pair of tits.  Finally i dint like how the town folk were so perceptive with the idea of the flesh eating virus.  Its like they didnt question it at all, they just figured it out to easy.  You would think that fucked up back woods folk would not be so easily convinced.  Anyway on to the pros.

Dont let the cons fool you, i really enjoyed this movie.  As the movies inability to pick a genre , It also added an odd charm beacuse of the way it juggles between gore, comedy, and suspense.  I thought this movie was a riot and i especially liked Roths cameo.  The situation seemed real enough to hook the audience.  The gore in this movie is top notch.  I wonder how many gallons of blood they used.  When this movie picks up speed it gets going fast.  I read some complaints about the Deputy or Sheriff or whatever he was but i liked him.  Did anyone else notice the Detroit Rock City connection.  anyways, i loved the gore and they did a fantastic job with the amount of money they had.  The scene in the tub will go down in horror history, no joke.  The 3rd act is so fucked up and i really liked that about it.  

All in all Roth did not "Revive" any genre.  He did though, put together a highly entertaining film that will open any doors that used to be closed for him.  I think Roth has a lot of potential and i am excited to seee him grow as a writer, director, and even actor.

Does anyone know what was in THE KIT?

Sleuth

Maybe just a gun or knife
I like to hug dogs

Banky

Quote from: tremoloslothMaybe just a gun or knife

no, they had guns, if it was a weapon they would have had it out when they were breaking into the cabin not locked in a little box

Sleuth

I sort of got the impression that he was "slow" so he didn't really know better
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

Roth said that the kit contains the cure to the virus.

Sleuth

Where did he say that
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

Someone at the screening I went to asked him, and that's what he said. Then he just sort of shrugged like, 'and that's that.' I guess it's not really something that's supposed to be picked up on.

MacGuffin

I have a feeling it's like the 'what's in the Fed-Ex box?' question in "Cast Away", and Roth's answer was like Zemeckis's tongue-in-cheek answer of "A satelite phone".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Anachronism

I interpreted the kit as having the cure as well. I just figured it would be one of those old town secrets that are so cliche and effective at tying loose ends.
                              *******SPOILER*********

What sort of dashed any notions I had of the kit playing a prominent role in saving them, yes I was rooting for them to survive with the terrible knowledge of what they had done, but then that balding christian hillbilly w. the Billy Ray do shoots poor Det Rock City in the chest and exclaims "Got him!." That sorta threw a wrench in my hopes of redemption.

I think what Banky said about the picture hopping through genres leaving you feeling a sense of filmic vertigo is spot on, but where he discredits it and considers it a con, I think that is where the strength to the film lies. I find that in general most films that attempt to emulate the stereotypical aspects of a given genre are far too predictable and dull, when people cross genres like this I think it realy leaves alot of room to think outside the box so you aren't forced to rely upon static mechanisms to progress through the different plot points and neatly wrap up the denouement. I think if given some hyped post-theatre advertising we may see it take on a cult following similar to something like Rocky Horror or Evil Dead.

Speaking of Evil Dead I am going to have to disagree with you Themodernage. I think that if I had to decide between Evil Dead and Cabin Fever as to which was more representative or indicative of a horror flick I would be inclined to lean towards Cabin Fever. To me Evil Dead was pure spoof I don't think I ever felt nervous or ill at ease throughout the whole thing, to me it felt as though the entire driving force behind the first 2 films, AOD is a field of its own, was let's have alot of fun with stop-frame, gore and Bruce Campbell while sticking within the classic confines of a graveyard gorefest.

The more I think about it, I really really really like this flick. I just can't remember the last time a horror movie actually captured my interest, aside from Bordello of Blood :) Oh yeah Roth cameod as who again? The skater? Very valid comments though, I honestly enjoy reading peoples critiques of these films very good shit.