The Ladykillers

Started by modage, June 12, 2003, 05:10:18 PM

modage

oh well.  i fucking knew it.  :(
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Goddamn it! My bubble's been burst! The trailer was just sooo good, but Godardian and I's disagreeance on the work of Baz Luhrman is not enough to convince me that we may be split on this film too.

Is it better to have your hopes dashed in advance and not look forward to a movie anymore or to have them dashed as the movie plays out and with crestfallen distress you realize it is nowhere near what you were hoping?

godardian

I would still encourage any Coens fan to see this for themselves... I'm just sharing my feeling that the things in Barton Fink and the other "real" Coen masterworks that made me fans are, to me, in extremely short supply in these last two films, and then there's all this other stuff- some of which I found really dumb and would have regardless of who the filmmakers were- that just could've been done by anybody.

... and it does make me a little depressed to have to use the word "dumb" to describe something done by the Coens. I don't just mean "lowbrow," here- I don't find Big Lebowski or Raising Arizona, one of the best comedies of all time, dumb- but just... pandering sitcom-y stuff.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

kotte

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumOh...

A moment of realization that it may never happen. :?

modage

OH GOD.  i always wondered how crushing it must've been to people around to see the decline of their favorite filmmakers like scorsese or coppola or whoever else.  like, how could they go from making great films to just all of a sudden, mediocre ones?  what went wrong?  it looks like we're getting a chance to see for ourselves, the decline of great artists.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

kotte

Quote from: themodernage02OH GOD.  i always wondered how crushing it must've been to people around to see the decline of their favorite filmmakers like scorsese or coppola or whoever else.  like, how could they go from making great films to just all of a sudden, mediocre ones?  what went wrong?  it looks like we're getting a chance to see for ourselves, the decline of great artists.

We don't know it's a decline. It could be as I said their way to make room for expensive, riskier, less commercial projects.

If we look at Ladykillers (haven't seen this yet) and Intolerable Cruelty from the point of view of the average movie-goer, a person who knows nothing or very little about movies, are these two movies bad?

They haven't lost their (secret) shit...you just wait ('till Billy Bob return the bag)

SHAFTR

I liked Intolerable Cruelty quite a bit.  Does that mean I'll like Ladykillers?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: SHAFTRI liked Intolerable Cruelty quite a bit.  Does that mean I'll like Ladykillers?
but would you say its one of  your favorite coen films?  like, would it go in your top 3?

ono

Quote from: GhostboyThe trailer was just sooo good
I must've missed something.  What trailer did you see that could've made this look good?  All the commercials I saw were awful, and generally trailers follow suit, or vice versa.  Got a link or something?

Me, I'm just glad my shit detector is working.

Redlum

I love all the Coen brothers movies. To start hypothesizing their decline is ridiculous.

"they're just doing some comercial stuff so they can get the money to do more riskier projects. Yeah thats right. Im sure thats what they're doing"

I think a better way to look at it would be to think that people who might not ordinarily go to see the brothers talents might like this one, and go back through the catalogue. Then there'll be all the more people to complain about the good old days when the Coens didnt make movies that appealed to a broader audience.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: themodernage02oh well.  i fucking knew it.  :(

What's really bad about this is that probabbly 80% of the Coen fans are really expecting this movie to be mediocre. The surprise would be if it wasn't, And that's bad, really bad. These are the guys who did Lebowski, man... Damn it!
Si

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: godardianmight as well be a really bad UPN sitcom.

.....hahaaha.......damn thats some harsh sh*t .........this must UNFORTUNATELY suck..........oh.. and i know i can't spell/type  worth sh*t........

Henry Hill

i never saw Intolerable Cruelty and i am NEVER going to see The Ladykillers. i know i should give it a chance, but i KNOW i will hate it. i am going to savor every last memory i have of the coens of old. i will treasure my repeat viewings of Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, etc. i want back that coen originality. i want back a coen bros. film. i cannot bring myself to see their big studio crap. its not gonna happen. thank you though for all who will sit through The Ladykillers and wish you could get that 2 hours back. i am glad i will still have mine.  :lol:

kotte

Quote from: filmboy70i never saw Intolerable Cruelty and i am NEVER going to see The Ladykillers.

Then you aren't allowed to express yourself about the films.

Please shut up.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: SHAFTRI liked Intolerable Cruelty quite a bit.  Does that mean I'll like Ladykillers?
but would you say its one of  your favorite coen films?  like, would it go in your top 3?

No, I wouldn't say that but Coen Bros are a pair of filmmakers whose movie I will always give a chance, but they don't always work for me.

Worked: Fargo, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, Intolerable Cruelty
Kind of worked, but not as much as others claim: Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, The Man Who Wasn't There
DIdn't work at all: O Brother Where Art Thou

still need to see Barton Fink.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"