World Trade Center

Started by Gold Trumpet, November 02, 2005, 08:05:48 PM

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Ghostboy

That looks like a Michael Bay film.

Pubrick

i was gonna say the germans just fucked up the trailer. but if i concede that, then maybe perfume is wrong too.  :shock:

seriously, the german trailer is too sentimental?? be afraid.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Weak2ndAct on May 16, 2006, 03:21:34 AM
That trailer sickens me.  There goes Stone's promise of a 'Algiers' style film (actually, Greengrass delivered that one).  And so the decade-long-downslide continues...

C'mon. It's just a trailer. A very early trailer that is likely also a studio cut trailer because with WTC premiering only 20 minutes at Cannes the logical explanation is that Oliver Stone and company are still editing this film as we speak.

See, if you look at the trailer, its very apparent. Most of the trailer is of action that takes place at the beginning of the film. Oliver Stone is one of the few filmmakers who insist on filming chronologically to the story so likely most of what you're seeing is what has already been edited for the Cannes premiere because their likely editing chronologically as well. Also, the score is everywhere in the trailer. It overbleeeds all the scenes for dramatic effect. I think that has more to do with the studio cutting the trailer and making it a good piece of promotional advertisement. This has been done before when a studio had the score before the filmmakers were done editing. I have more faith Oliver Stone will be better understanding of how to lay out the score when the film finally hits.

Also, what was the likelihood Oliver Stone was going to compete with Greengrass in a visceral filmmaking contest? Greengrass succeeds at making the experience of watching United 93 upsetting to the stomach, but he does so by balancing the entire filmmaking effort on using only hand held cameras and cutting extensively. Oliver Stone, while very experimental before, never has gone to such a route. Stone's filmmaking is much more imaginative and more encompassing of the larger filmmaking techniques and tricks that are available. Finally, I don't think United 93 is nearly as great as everyone says is. There's another side to the film that no one is talking about that keeps it from truly being a great film. When I finally get to reviewing, I'll say my peace on it. Its just ridiculous I have to go to such lengths to speak on the topic of a trailer.

Fernando

Quote from: Pubrick on May 16, 2006, 05:33:16 PM
seriously, the german trailer is too sentimental?? be afraid.

I think a big part of that is the damn music, Stone should pull a Cast Away kind of thing so when mayhem begins music should vanish entirely from the film.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on May 16, 2006, 05:49:01 PM
Its just ridiculous I have to go to such lengths to speak on the topic of a trailer.
u didn't hav to, no one else went to that length. your first paragraph was really all you had to say in defense of it.
under the paving stones.

modage

i think it looks good.  though it'll definitely be the antithesis to United 93.  but thats probably good.  who needs all sept 11 films to be the same?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

you blind Stone defenders need to give up.  This project will suck and you know it.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick on May 16, 2006, 06:53:01 PM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on May 16, 2006, 05:49:01 PM
Its just ridiculous I have to go to such lengths to speak on the topic of a trailer.
u didn't hav to, no one else went to that length. your first paragraph was really all you had to say in defense of it.

The second paragraph covered the points on the 'Algier's' claim he made.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Ghostboy on May 16, 2006, 05:31:39 PM
That looks like a Michael Bay film.
Quote from: Fernando on May 16, 2006, 05:55:02 PM
I think a big part of that is the damn music

This is me wondering where Aerosmith was. :ponder:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

Yeah, sucks in English too.  Even worse now that we have to hear Cage's dialogue.

am i the only one who got a strong gay vibe from the trailer?  like, a really strong vibe.
context, context, context.

©brad

and by gay you mean what?

polkablues

Quote from: cronopio on May 19, 2006, 11:13:06 AM
am i the only one who got a strong gay vibe from the trailer?  like, a really strong vibe.

Just because half the guys have Freddie Mercury moustaches and Maria Bello's not wearing a cheerleader's uniform?
My house, my rules, my coffee