Buster Keaton

Started by cine, April 05, 2003, 02:25:36 PM

cine

Somebody probably expected me to do this sooner or later, what with the General picture and all.
Not only do I think Keaton is the best silent film star, but he's the best actor-director ever in the history of the cinema. Anybody's thoughts?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

I like the idea of starting a new topic in a new thread. I don't want newcomers or anybody to think I'm commenting about Chaplin. I'm trying to start a discussion about actor-directors..

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileI like the idea of starting a new topic in a new thread. I don't want newcomers or anybody to think I'm commenting about Chaplin. I'm trying to start a discussion about actor-directors..

You are a newcomer otherwise you would have known there was a discussion before. The point is: You asked what other people think about Keaton and I redirected you to their comments, and gave you the reason why.

Take it from me, you post too much.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

I skimmed the thread of Chaplin but I wanted to start a topic of Keaton as an actor-director... that's why I made that statement and followed up with "Anybody's thoughts?"  I didn't mean general thoughts about Keaton. Now we have that cleared up.

Take it from me, if you knew what a cinephile was you wouldn't say I post too much. How does someone enthusiastic about film talk too much about it?

MacGuffin

Take it from me, I know what a cinephile is, and you are not one. Most of your posts do not discuss your "enthusiasm" of films. They are more along the negative lines: Fincher doesn't deserve a thread, look at what this idiot said about Chicago and Citizen Kane, I Spit On Your Grave should not have been made, why is Kangaroo Jack up here...on and on. A cinephile respects films and the filmmakers (even those he/she doesn't like) and not is not such an elistist snob.

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Christ those were just minor quibbles I made.. you point out little comments I make like those and completely disregard my recent comments on Bunuel, Fellini, Allen, Kurosawa, and Keaton?  Are you kidding me?  You're really an administrator here, right?  I'm preaching about the times before the Golden Age of the cinema and I'm saying a guy like Fincher shouldn't be there with heavyweights like Kubrick and Spielberg and you're up my ass about it? (Newsflash: I'm not alone on that one.. and some people are making a larger deal about the directors than I am) Furthermore, I don't think there's any need to have a problem with me because I hated "I Spit On Your Grave". "A cinephile respects films and the filmmakers (even those he/she doesn't like)" Yeah.. and? I said I admired stuff about "Fight Club" and that I liked most of what Fincher made. So again.. what is your problem here?  Honestly where is your argument?

RegularKarate

Well, now this is just a pointless thread...

this thread's now locked (before it becomes a war zone and wastes more space)

If you want to discuss Keaton, go to the now Chaplin/Keaton thread

no offense to you, Mac... just don't want this to blow up too much

MacGuffin

Well, RK, I wasn't going to lock this thread, but I was going to put an end to this "debate". I definitely don't want Xixax.com to turn into the latter days of Greg's board and become cause for another shut down. So out of respect to MW/Xixax, I will end any resentment towards Cinefile. And I extend a sincere apology to the innocent members caught up in this.

No hard feelings, RK. I understand completely why you did so.

Skeleton FilmWorks