X3 - X-Men: The Last Straw

Started by Banky, December 05, 2003, 09:28:31 AM

sheshothim

Oh God please NOOOO!!!!!! NOT FUCKING EMMA FROST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

modage

genre is not a dirty word.  plus, you should give filmmakers more credit to do something interesting with it.  like when you heard the words 'adam sandler romantic comedy' you might've thought 'terrible', but with an amazing filmmaker at the helm, that was not the case. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: modage on June 03, 2006, 10:35:35 AM
genre is not a dirty word.  plus, you should give filmmakers more credit to do something interesting with it.  like when you heard the words 'adam sandler romantic comedy' you might've thought 'terrible', but with an amazing filmmaker at the helm, that was not the case. 

I doubt an Emma Frost adaptation will be as much of turn around as Punch-Drunk Love was for "romantic comedies". Punch-Drunk Love worked because it no longer existed as that type of romantic comedy. With Emma Frost you can't get away from a bigger budget and thus tighter studio control. Plus its harder to get away from super hero silliness.

See, I don't fault you for disagreeing. I just don't think there's much room for discussion here. We just have very different beliefs on film.

sheshothim

Here's my problem with an Emma Frost film:
I read some of her series, and it reminded me of a racier, dirtier Betty and Veronica. Sure, she uses her powers, etc. etc., but she uses them for random stupid crap she does in her everyday life. Cheating in poker??? I'll admit...I stopped reading them well over a year ago, so I don't know what she's doing now, but I can tell you I wasn't impressed. I have a feeling an Emma Frost movie would just be this cheesey girl power thing....superhero film, not so much.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

MacGuffin

Quote from: sheshothim on June 03, 2006, 04:48:52 PM
Here's my problem with an Emma Frost film:
I read some of her series, and it reminded me of a racier, dirtier Betty and Veronica. Sure, she uses her powers, etc. etc., but she uses them for random stupid crap she does in her everyday life. Cheating in poker??? I'll admit...I stopped reading them well over a year ago, so I don't know what she's doing now, but I can tell you I wasn't impressed. I have a feeling an Emma Frost movie would just be this cheesey girl power thing....superhero film, not so much.

This sounds different, but keep in mind, the writer is only speculating that it'll be an origin story:

Emma Frost making her big screen debut?
Source: Moviehole

Twentieth Century Fox still haven't found a cure for their enthrallment with "X-Men".

On top of the "Wolverine" and "Magento" movies, a studio rep tells USA Today that they're looking at doing a further two spin-off's, one featuring popular comic book character Emma Frost.

The character is featured prominently in the comics, but didn't appear in any of the three "X-Men" movies.

David O'Russell ("Three Kings") is developing the 'Emma Frost' film, which, I'm assuming, will be an origin tale, explaining how the lass became to be a sexy mutant telepath who can transform her skin into diamonds.

According to Wikipedia, Frost has been both friend and foe of the X-Men. She was originally one of the wealthy, mutant elites who comprised the Inner Circle of the Hellfire Club. She has had a lifelong interest in teaching the next generation and led the club's junior team the Hellions.

After her students' deaths, she joined Charles Xavier's cause, mentoring the X-Men junior team Generation X. She later joined the X-Men and became headmistress of the Xavier Institute, although her ethics and loyalty remain in question.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sheshothim

I would have to see it, sadly enough. It's my duty. I don't know I don't know I don't know.......I only have skepticism after X3, and my hatred for Emma Frost doesn't help any.

I enjoyed this film greatly. Very entertaining and the time just flew by watching this. Magneto was great as always. I never read the comic books, so I didn't really care that it strayed from them.

P.S. Ghost Rider & Superman look awesome. Can't wait to see them.

modage

Quote from: 1976 on June 03, 2006, 07:05:16 PM
I enjoyed this film greatly.
P.S. Ghost Rider look awesome.
invalidated.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

'Stand' up and take a bow, Brett
Source: NY Daily News

'X-Men: The Last Stand" director Brett Ratner gamely attempted humility as he discussed his movie's record-breaking $122 million Memorial Day weekend in a phone call to Lowdown yesterday.

"I feel sort of guilty, because I look up to guys like Spielberg, and I beat every record of his," the 37-year-old Ratner crowed - quietly and in good taste.

Steven Spielberg's 1997 sequel, "The Lost World: Jurassic Park," held the previous record of $92.7 million.

"He's like my idol," Ratner said. "Biggest Memorial Day opening in history - so that feels good."

Ratner was also basking in the afterglow of his reception at the Cannes Film Festival. "I walked in with Halle Berry. Everyone is in black tie, and they say, 'Eeetz Brett Ratner!' and everyone stands up and claps for you as you walk in. For a filmmaker, I don't think there's anything better. Other than maybe winning an award."

At Cannes, the director stayed at the Hotel du Cap, which he'd christened "du Crap" after an unsatisfactory visit last year. But this time, "It was the greatest stay of my life. I'm not kidding. They gave me a five-bedroom villa with my own butler," Ratner gushed. "The attitude at the hotel has completely changed. It's not even like you're in France!"

Ratner, who was there with his lady love, Romanian model Alina Puscau, added: "Literally, I will get married there. My future children's weddings will be there. I've already reserved the same villa for next year."

Is this a wedding announcement?

"Ehhhhhh ... naahhhh," Ratner dodged.

As for the possibility of an "X-Men 4," Ratner insisted, "No, I think there's really not. I think there'll be a spinoff for sure, and the other characters can show up."

Will he direct it?

"If they offer it to me," he answered. "I hope they will."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

w/o horse

People shouldn't take him seriously.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 04, 2006, 01:42:15 AM
"I feel sort of guilty, because I look up to guys like Spielberg, and I beat every record of his," the 37-year-old Ratner crowed - quietly and in good taste.  "He's like my idol," Ratner said. "Biggest Memorial Day opening in history - so that feels good."
yes, opening weekend breaking other records means shit as far as 'wow, you're the man, brett ratner!'.  it means 'wow, bryan singer was the man cause i loved the last two xmen and i cant wait to see this one'.  thats due to bryan singers previous films and fox's marketing dept for cutting a good trailer for this near shitfest.  so lets not get carried away ratty.

Kal

lol mod, dont get so angry  :yabbse-grin:

whatever it was said it will be forgotten after it takes the biggest 2nd weekend drop since Gigli...

Quote from: modage on June 03, 2006, 09:35:29 PM
P.S. Ghost Rider looks awesome.
invalidated.

What can I say, I love action movies  :)

Quote from: Just Withnail on June 04, 2006, 01:30:08 PM
Quote from: 1976 on June 04, 2006, 12:52:07 PM
Quote from: modage on June 03, 2006, 09:35:29 PM
P.S. Ghost Rider looks awesome.
invalidated.

What can I say, I love action movies  :)

Did you know that Boogie Nights actually isn't one?

Brock Landers begs to differ.

Pubrick

I never read the comic books, so I didn't really care that it strayed from them.
you havn't read anything in this thread if you think that's why ppl hated this film.
under the paving stones.