Read this Netfilx member review... (Alan Smithee)

Started by Mesh, July 30, 2003, 07:17:28 PM

Mesh

It's on Hellraiser IV: Bloodline:

QuoteWell let me say when I saw that it was directed by Alan Smithee a big red light went off to avoid this movie. (Alan Smithee is the name directors use when they don't want there name associated with the film) After seeing the movie I was luke-warm it wasn't great like the first to in the series. However it adds alot of history to the storyline.. bottom line great on paper but not carried out well.

The part about Alan Smithee threw me for a loop.  I had to look the name up to figure out that this reviewer wasn't kidding.

Is this psuedonym common knowledge?  If yes, how could I possibly not have known?

In other words, am I an idiot for not knowing about this?

modage

i dont know if its common knowlege. but i knew that.  remember the 90s comedy?

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0118577
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Yeah dood, it's pretty common knowledge.  Lynch did it for the "director's cut" of Dune and Dennis Hopper and John Frankenheimer have used it.

BonBon85

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

i added alan smithee to the title of ur thread mesh. just so that later on ppl might link back to this and then check out the one bonbon posted.

vague titles will be the end of us.

also, yeah i thought smithee was common knowledge. check out the one onomatopeia linked, it has cool stuff with Tony Kaye goin nuts about american history x. and how he couldn't get an Alan Smithee credit cos he'd openly dissed the film too much.
under the paving stones.

Cecil

we should be able to change the "thread started by" name to alan smithee if we feel that the title to out thread has been changed too much by the mods.