Old

Started by Alethia, August 12, 2021, 12:12:37 PM

Alethia

Anyone else see this? I dug it. It's about a beach that makes you old!  :)  Consistently thrilling and surprisingly emotional. Really beautiful, expressive camerawork. Best thing Night's done since Unbreakable. Not getting the general negativity towards it. And it's got our girl Vicky in it, too!

Maybe I didn't need the last ten minutes, but I'm not complaining.

polkablues

I generally haven't had both feet on board the Shyamalanaissance train (I thought both The Visit and Split were pretty bad, honestly), but I've got a good feeling about this one.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Shughes

This didn't do it for me at all. I'm surprised to see such poor performances from such good actors (pretty much across the board - VK included - in fact especially VK!).

It had its moments, and obviously everyone should see it and make up their own minds, but overall this was a big disappointment for me.

I'm always rooting for Shyamalan to do well, for some reason - maybe because he puts his money where his mouth is, invests in himself/his films, and takes big swings ("Swing away, Night!"). Hopefully enough people like this that we see a true return to form next.

Alethia

Alethia

Guys... it makes you old!

WorldForgot

I want to heckle this movie sooo bad

Jeremy Blackman

Heard a theory about this movie's success — it's getting a lot of word-of-mouth simply because it's fun to talk about.

(Case in point, the last 4 posts.)

wilberfan

Hey, my friend and I have been going to Malibu since the mid 90s--and we're both older now!  :shock:

Alethia

Ya see!

This movie rocks  :)

polkablues

Quote from: wilberfan on August 15, 2021, 07:47:40 PM
Hey, my friend and I have been going to Malibu since the mid 90s--and we're both older now!  :shock:

https://twitter.com/proletarat/status/1419358801476538369

wilberfan

I knew these two couldn't be trusted.  Bastards.

Drenk

Spoiler: ShowHide
That shot made me cry, oops. (The screenshot doesn't show the movement and how it passes quickly in front of them: the hand very slow while everybody else is moving very fast.)

I wish the movie had ended there when the camera gently goes to the sky. It could have even cut immediately to the last shot of the water. There's no reason to add helicopters on top of that and, personally, I don't care about how they didn't drown and where they're gonna live but you need to please the studio.

I agree with what eward said about the "expressive camerawork": vivid, beautiful imagery and strong storytelling.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

It's so well designed. An improved sibling to The Happening - our fleeting ontology fighting against technologic and technocratic urges. It certainly has some missteps in the suspense and character work, particularly in the last half hour, but I adore the manner it's told in so much that I enjoy even the flimsiest bits of its script.

Anti-Anthropocene pictures. This one much better than either The Happening or After Earth because its scope iz tethered to the fears of anyone in the audience on an accelerated death path - 'what now?'

For sure the ending could have been as poetic as its middle, but alas ~ the question mark can easily sour so you gotta give too much, I guess.

Alethia

polkablues

The ending was obnoxiously tidy, and M. Night Shyamalan's war against good dialogue rages on with no end in sight, but there are enough great moments and ideas throughout that it kept me along for the ride. Notably, the actual filmmaking showed a real purpose and point of view, maybe for the first time in Shyamalan's films since Sixth Sense. The
birth scene
in particular was a tour de force in how to use the camera to tell that story in that moment.

All in all, I liked it, didn't love it, but it did reassure me that Shyamalan isn't completely washed as a filmmaker, which is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Side note: the "Mid-Size Sedan" thing made me roll my eyes so hard my gravity inverted. Even the new improved M. Night needs someone he trusts to be able to say "No, that's fucking stupid, stop it."