I Heart Huckabees

Started by MacGuffin, February 15, 2004, 10:47:22 PM

MacGuffin

A television spot has been made to promote the new David O'Russell new comedy: Watch it

Release Date: TBA 2004 (possibly limited)

Cast: Jude Law, Naomi Watts, Mark Wahlberg, Catherine Deneuve, Dustin Hoffman, Jason Schwartzman, Lily Tomlin, Kevin Dunn (Marty), Angela Grillo.

Director: David O. Russell (Three Kings, Flirting with Disaster, Spanking the Monkey)

Screenwriter: David O. Russell (Three Kings, Flirting with Disaster, Spanking the Monkey), Jeff Baena (feature film debut)

Premise: This ensemble comedy is about a married couple (Hoffman, Tomlin) who work as detectives, helping people solve existential crises in their lives. For those not familiar with the philosophy-based term of "existential crisis", some examples of such a crises would be a "mid-life crisis", a "what am I doing with my life?" sort of hang up, "my life has been a mistake", "my whole life is a joke", etc. The central characters (Law, Watts, Wahlberg) are involved in a romantic triangle of sorts. The title refers to Huckabee's, the business Law's character works at (where Dunn is his boss).

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

this will rule in 2004.  i cant wait.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pwaybloe

I wonder how many PA's were hurt in the making of this film.

Chest Rockwell

Henry Hill

meatwad

there is a test screening review over at aint it cool news. The reviewer seems pretty harsh on it[/url]

meatball

this is reminding me of toys (robin williams).

yo, meat!

meatwad

Quote from: meatballyo, meat!

is this some sort of shout out? If it is, what up my meat friend

Slick Shoes

I hate to be a downer, but I think this film is going to be not so good.

Three Kings was great, I like Russell, he managed to get a wonderful cast, the title rocks, but I don't know, I just have a hunch this film will be a big disappointment.

grand theft sparrow

Worst title ever, after XX/XY.

But people who don't go to movies just because the title sucks are morons, so I'm there.  Saw "Flirting With Disaster" for the first time in years about a month ago.  So great.

RegularKarate

you mean David O. Verrated !!!

HA

modage

Mark your calendars.  According to the new Premiere, I Heart Huckabees will be released October 15th.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

From Entertainment Weekly:

Russell has always dangled on the edge -- from the incest comedy Spanking The Monkey to his biggest hit, 1999's prescient Gulf war phantasmagoria, Three Kings. But his latest experiment in random raucousness might be his strangest movie yet. In the ensemble comedy Huckabees, Hoffman and Tomlin are existential detectives who track their clients' every move in hopes of helping them answer the Big Questions. When a wussy environmentalist (Schwartzman) enlists their help to better understand his conflict with a rising executive at Huckabees department stores (Law), their bumbling behavior sets off a bizarre chain of events. (Want more? Well, what could be weirder than appearances from Tippi Hedren and Shania Twain?)

"I kept saying to David, 'I'm not the smartest person in the world, but do you even want this to be accessible?'" laughs Hoffman, who reveals that his on-screen Beatlesque hairstyle "is really my hair! Wigs are painful and sticky and hot. I haven't worn one since Hook."

Wahlberg, who also appeared in Kings, plays firefighter Tommy Corn, and here he finally got a chance to hone his little-seen comedic skills. "If you were handed this script, you wouldn't say that Mark Wahlberg should play the role," he says. "But David doesn't want me doing the same thing over and over again. I was studying [author, former Tibetan monk, and father of Uma] Bob Thurman and Buddhism and The Jewel Tree of Tibet for months on end. He's asking actors to do some pretty outrageous stuff." And while he agrees that Huckabees is hardly lightweight, he hopes "that people will go to it and think about and debate some of these issues. David's movies are good for me and they are good for film. They are always a learning experience."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks