Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on August 29, 2006, 09:56:15 PM

the first album in YEARS that i was looking forward to that i did not hear a leaked version prior to its release.  WEIRD!

Probably because no one gives a shit about Pete Yawn anymore

modage

true!  i put the cd in my computer to rip to my ipod and i had to manually type in the songs!  it didnt even recognize the cd.

still weird though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Finally, a cd to put on my Best of 2006 list.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

I never said they're trying to be like dylan.  I said they sound like sheltered clever versions of bob dylan.  and then after I said that I explained what I meant.
and c'mon, if you wanna group me as one of the guys who says people are "trying to be weird" then I'll feel a little bit insulted, but go ahead.  I've also explained why I thought m. was posturing for soulfulness.  the entire second paragraph had a detailed explanation of why I thought so.
blue state young male musicians share more sensibilities than their voting patterns, but you're right, that is a shaky statement at best.  I've said it mainly because I saw M backing bright eyes up once and they were doing political jingles.
I'm not dismissing m. ward; I'm just disappointed.

Quote from: I Love a Magician on August 29, 2006, 05:02:12 PM
I mean maybe. But I don't think M. Ward is trying to be anything like Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan's more about the words and the story and etc. but from what I've read, M. Ward is more about the song and evoking a certain feeling or time, the vocals and lyrics come second to all that. So I don't listen to M. Ward expecting him to give me a new "Idiot Wind" (or whatever Bob Dylan song you prefer), I just wanna sit back and feel that shit and sometimes a lyric'll pop up that'll move me but it's mostly about the guitar and that dude's voice.

And I don't think Jim James of My Morning Jacket is like Bob Dylan at all, as far as lyrics go. Or musically, really.

But what's so Blue State about those two? I don't recall ever hearing anything in any of their songs that would get anyone from either side of the political spectrum up in arms. My Morning Jacket has somewhat "weird" lyrics sometimes, but they both write about pretty standard stuff for the most part (girls, travelling, music itself).

but i got nothin to say about bright eyes but i do like some of his songs

edit:

Quote from: pete on August 29, 2006, 02:08:19 AMwell, he's a bit like his buddy conor o'berst, in which there is a lot of posturing for soulfulness.

Please explain how M. Ward is posturing for soulfulness. I just think people like to slam people for no reason at all because they THINK that the person is posturing or faking it or whatever. Devendra Banhart has a few songs about animals and 1/3 of his lyrics are basically nonsense, so he's "going out of his way to be weird." The Black Keys are two white dudes playing blues rock so they're fakers. Etc. But who can say?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

beaaaaautiful music,  awful artwork.
context, context, context.

I Love a Magician

Quote from: pete on August 30, 2006, 06:34:24 PM
I never said they're trying to be like dylan.  I said they sound like sheltered clever versions of bob dylan.  and then after I said that I explained what I meant.
and c'mon, if you wanna group me as one of the guys who says people are "trying to be weird" then I'll feel a little bit insulted, but go ahead.  I've also explained why I thought m. was posturing for soulfulness.  the entire second paragraph had a detailed explanation of why I thought so.
blue state young male musicians share more sensibilities than their voting patterns, but you're right, that is a shaky statement at best.  I've said it mainly because I saw M backing bright eyes up once and they were doing political jingles.
I'm not dismissing m. ward; I'm just disappointed.

ill fuckin kill you so hardcore pete

polkablues

Quote from: cronopio on August 31, 2006, 12:22:40 AM

beaaaaautiful music,  awful artwork.

I see Melora Walter's character in "Boogie Nights" kept painting long after the film ended.

Chest Rockwell

Black Dog and Black Sifichi - Unsavoury Products

modage

have you heard this, polka?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Neil

Cursive - Happy Hollow

No cello, but you just cannot go wrong with Tim kasher, he's a great song writer to say the least.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

Quote from: modage on September 02, 2006, 05:02:19 PM

have you heard this, polka?

I actually just found out about it the other day, right after I bought Nightcrawler.  How is it?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

charlotte gainsbourg - 5:55
context, context, context.