Kontroll

Started by B.C. Long, April 08, 2005, 08:44:11 PM

B.C. Long

Anyone of you guys in NY or LA had a chance to see this foreign flick yet? It's been out since April 1st.

here's a link to the trailer
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/kontroll.html

Director: Nimród Antal
Screenwriter: Jim Adler, Nimród Antal
Starring: Sándor Csányi, Zoltán Mucsi, Csaba Pindroch, Sándor Badár, Zsolt Nagy, Bence Mátyási, Gyözö Szabó, Eszter Balla, Lajos Kovács, György Cserhalmi, Zsolt László, Balázs Mihályfi, Péter Scherer, János Kulka

Details: The massive labyrinthine netherworld that is the Budapest subway system provides the stunning setting for "Kontroll," a high style, high speed romantic thriller in which the lives of assorted outcasts, lovers, and dreamers intersect and collide, and where one handsome young hero, one mysterious maiden, and one particularly nasty killer must conduct a race against time, trains, and destiny itself in their frantic pursuit of one another. "Kontroll" was awarded the 23rd Prix de la Jeunesse presented in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival, was Hungary's most successful film in the domestic box office in 2003 and is the country's official foreign language entry into the 2005 Academy Awards.

The trailer's got me pretty excited. Looks extremely interesting.

cowboykurtis

has anyone seen this?

anyone have an accurate american $ budget for this film?
...your excuses are your own...

SHAFTR

It was at the Film Fest I worked, but I didn't get around to see it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

pete

this weekend, I will see it.  there's an article about it in the american cinematographer.  I don't know the exact budget but they said it was low.  they shot on location, for several hours each night, at different subway stations.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pete

I just saw it, it was okay.  the cinematography was great but I kinda knew that it wasn't gonna be that cool just because I knew it was shot on a limited schedule on a limited budget--so no matter how cool the trailer looked, I kinda had a feeling that there wasn't gonna be much of a wild spectacular chase or any kinda adrenaline rush beyond crazy camera movements and booming music.  you know what I'm talking about?  there just are certain movies that would never deliver beyond great cinematography.  the acting was good and the comedy was good, some scenes were really intense, but the movie ended quite abruptly.  a few scenes ran long and none of the mystery it set up was really answered.  I think it's more of a movie to stare at and go with the flow than anything else.  still, I wish more american films were made like this.
- Buster Keaton

sickfins

Quote from: pete on May 10, 2005, 09:45:14 PM
I jusit, it waokahe cs great but I kw that it wast thatiish more ams wde lihis.

silence pete

i picked this up today (finally) and it is wonderful.  worst cover art ever, but that's ok.

it is the most :yabbse-thumbup: i have seen in some time.  full of energy and wonder.  someone needed to bring this back to life

Jeremy Blackman

Pretty good overall. The girl with the bear costume was the best part of the movie. (And actually I think the comedy was its biggest weakness.)

BIG SPOILERS

I'm assuming other people have noticed the Fight Club angle. I think he was the hooded figure, although the scene with the "suits" and the videotape might complicate that. Thoughts?

pete

I saw it more as a raising arizona angle--like how nick cage dreamed about his arch nemisis even before ever meeting him, and the same with the kid and the hooded figure.  I don't think they're the same person at all, the villain serves a metaphorical purpose but I don't think he is metaphorical.
- Buster Keaton