i think it's kinda funny...

RegularKarate

I'm glad I'm not the only one

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Jeremy Blackman

Jacques Derrida, founder of Deconstructionism, dead at 74

PARIS (AP) - Jacques Derrida, a philosopher who founded the school known as deconstructionism, has died, the French president's office said Saturday.

He was 74.

Derrida died at a Paris hospital of pancreatic cancer, French news media reported, quoting friends and admirers.

The French intellectual taught and thought on both sides of the Atlantic and his works were translated around the world.

Provocative and as difficult to define as his favourite subject - deconstruction - Derrida was a leading intellectual for decades. He is considered the modern-day French thinker best known internationally.

"With him, France has given the world one of its greatest contemporary philosophers, one of the major figures of intellectual life of our time," President Jacques Chirac said in a statement, calling Derrida a "citizen of the world."

Born to a Jewish family July 15, 1930, in El Biar, Algeria, then a French colony, Derrida wrote hundreds of books and essays. His reputation was launched with two 1967 publications in which he laid out basic ideas, Writing and Difference and Of Grammatology. Among other works were the 1972 Margins of Philosophy and, more recently, Spectres of Marx (1993).

Derrida was known as the father of deconstructionism, a branch of critical thought or analysis developed in the late 1960s and applied to literature, linguistics, philosophy, law and architecture.

Derrida focused his work on language, showing it has multiple layers and thus multiple meanings or interpretations, challenging the notion that speech is a direct form of communication, or even that the author of a text is the author of its meaning.

Deconstructionists like Derrida explored the means of liberating the written word from the structures of language, opening limitless textual interpretations. Not limited to language, Derrida's philosophy of deconstructionism was then applied to western values.

The deconstructionist approach has remained controversial, with detractors even proclaiming the movement dead. So divisive were Derrida's ideas that Cambridge University's plan to award him an honorary degree in 1992 was forced to a vote which he won.

Critics accused Derrida of nihilism, which he adamantly denied.

"Deconstruction is on the side of 'yes,' an affirmation of life," Derrida said in an August interview with Le Monde newspaper.

Former French culture minister Jack Lang, who knew Derrida, praised his "absolute originality," as well as his combative spirit.

"I knew he was ill, and at the same time, I saw him as so combative, so creative, so present, that I thought he would surmount his illness," Lang said on France-Info radio.

Derrida was often named - but never chosen - for a Nobel Prize in Literature.

In 1949, Derrida left Algeria for Paris to further his education, receiving an advanced degree in philosophy from the prestigious Ecole Normale Superieure in 1956. He later taught philosophy at the Sorbonne University from 1960-64 and at the Ecole des Hautes Etude en Sciences Sociales from 1984-99.

He also taught in the United States, at the University of California at Irvine and at Johns Hopkins and Yale universities.

Despite his esoteric path, Derrida said in several interviews he really wanted to be a soccer player but wasn't talented enough.

He refused to confine himself to an intellectual ivory tower, fighting for such things as the rights of Algerian immigrants in France and against apartheid in South Africa.

French Culture Minister Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres called Derrida "profoundly humanist," saying the philosopher spent his final years working for the "values of hospitality," particularly between Europe and the Mediterranean.

"He wanted to build an open idea of Europe," a ministry statement said.

As Derrida grew ill, death haunted him. In a Le Monde interview in August, Derrida said learning to live means learning to die.

"Less and less, I have not learned to accept death," he was quoted saying.

"I remain uneducable about the wisdom of learning to die."

this is one i care about. how sad.

Pwaybloe

Gamblour.

Quote from: PwaybloeGive me a break...
Hahahahaha

I could live without the guy who says my textbook is a novel.
WWPTAD?

mogwai

JOHN PEEL DIES OF HEART ATTACK

JOHN PEEL has died of a heart attack aged 65.

The broadcasting legend, who had a career spanning over 40 years, was on holiday in Peru when he was taken ill.

A statement has been issued by the BBC which reads: "It has been confirmed that BBC radio broadcaster John Peel died from a heart attack last night whilst on holiday in Peru. He leaves behind his wife Sheila and four children."

Radio 1 controller Andy Parfitt said "John Peel was a broadcasting legend. I am deeply saddened by his death as are all who work at Radio 1. John's influence has towered over the development of popular music for nearly four decades and his contribution to modern music and music culture is immeasurable.

"Hopeful bands all over the world sent their demo tapes to John knowing that he really cared. His commitment and passion for new music only grew stronger over the years. In fact, when I last saw him he was engaged in a lively debate with his fellow DJs over the state of new music today. He will be hugely missed. "

BBC Director of Radio & Music Jenny Abramsky added "John Peel was a unique broadcaster whose influence on Radio 1 could be felt from its very first days. He nurtured musicians and listeners alike introducing them to new sounds. His open minded approach to music was mirrored by his equally generous approach to his audience when he went to Radio 4 to present Home Truths.

"He had a remarkable rapport with all his listeners. Everyone at BBC Radio is devastated by the news. John is simply irreplaceable. Our hearts go out to Sheila and his children."

Musicians from across the world are already starting to pay tribute. Manic Street Preachers singer James Dean Bradfield said that he'd been a huge influence.

He said: "It was because of him I got to hear some of the most obscure but influential music I ever heard. He was a lifeline to hearing music I would never have heard otherwise. The service he provided was getting to hear music that you couldn't buy in Cardiff. He was a portal to a whole new world."

Fellow Welshman Gruff Rhys from Super Furry Animals described Peel as "very open-minded".

He said: "He was very inclusive of all kinds of music, very open-minded, and introduced a lot of diverse music to the public. He championed Welsh language music and for years was the only DJ on national radio who was willing to embrace it. He was very wary of trends such as Britpop, he was introducing people to drum 'n' bass and techno, things that were going on outside of the media."

Peel was born in Heswall near Chester and started his radio career in Dallas, Texas.

Throughout the 1960s he worked at a number of radio stations across the US, before returning to Radio London in 1967.

Over a career spanning 40 years Peel consistently championed new music, and in 1994 was given the NME Godlike Genius award for his services to music.

MacGuffin

Dutch Filmmaker Theo Van Gogh Murdered

A Dutch filmmaker who had criticized the treatment of women under Islam in a movie and in newspaper columns was shot dead Tuesday outside a city government office in Amsterdam, police said.

Police spokeswoman Elly Florax confirmed media reports the victim was filmmaker Theo van Gogh and that a suspect had been arrested after a shootout in a local park. The suspect, who was not identified, and a police officer were injured, she said.

No motive was given for the attack.

Van Gogh had made headlines recently with a film critical of some elements of Islamic culture. He also wrote columns about the Islam which were published on his Web site, www.theovangogh.nl, and Dutch newspaper Metro. He had reportedly received death threats following the airing of the film.

The short television film "Submission" aired on Dutch television in August and enraged the Muslim community in the Netherlands which said it was provocative and lacked insight.

It told the fictional story of a Muslim woman forced into a violent marriage, raped by a relative and brutally punished for adultery.

The English-language film was scripted by a right-wing politician who years ago renounced the Islamic faith of her birth and now refers to herself as an "ex-Muslim."

Somali-born Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a member of the Dutch parliament, has repeatedly outraged fellow Muslims by criticizing Islamic customs and the failure of Muslim families to adopt Dutch ways.

The place of Muslim immigrants in Dutch society has long been a contentious issue in the Netherlands, where many right-wing politicians have pushed for tougher immigration laws and say Muslims already settled in the country must make a greater effort to assimilate.

Theo van Gogh, 47, has often come under criticism for his controversial movies. In December, his next movie "06-05," about the May 6, 2002 assassination of Dutch politician Pim Fortuyn, is scheduled to debut on the Internet.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Howard Keel, Star of Musicals, Dies at 85

Howard Keel, the broad-shouldered baritone who romanced his way through a series of glittery MGM musicals such as "Kiss Me Kate" and "Annie Get Your Gun" and later revived his career with television's "Dallas," died Sunday. He was 85.

Keel died Sunday morning of colon cancer at his home in Palm Desert, according to his son, Gunnar.

Keel starred in Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals in New York and London before being signed to an MGM contract after World War II. The timing was perfect: He became a star with his first MGM film, playing Frank Butler to Betty Hutton's Annie Oakley in "Annie Get Your Gun."

Keel's size and lusty voice made him an ideal leading man for such stars as Esther Williams ("Pagan Love Song," "Texas Carnival," "Jupiter's Darling"), Ann Blyth ("Rose Marie," "Kismet"), Kathryn Grayson ("Show Boat," "Lovely to Look At," "Kiss Me Kate") and Doris Day ("Calamity Jane").

His own favorite film was the exuberant "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

i always come here thinking it's gonna be a real star.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Howard Keel was if you appreciate musicals.

Skeleton FilmWorks