Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith

Started by modage, June 24, 2003, 06:14:37 PM

tpfkabi

i watched A New Hope last night. i forget what happens to Anakin's lightsaber at the end of RotS. Obi Wan tells Luke that he has a lightsaber that his father wanted to give him, and this doesn't seem to fit with what i remember of the ending of RotS. does anyone remember?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Tryskadekafobia

Obi-Wan grabs it off of the molten ground of Mustafar right before his "you were the chosen one" lnes.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: bigideasi watched A New Hope last night. i forget what happens to Anakin's lightsaber at the end of RotS. Obi Wan tells Luke that he has a lightsaber that his father wanted to give him, and this doesn't seem to fit with what i remember of the ending of RotS. does anyone remember?

But Anakin wanted Luke to have it when he was old enough... from a certain point of view.

Tryskadekafobia

Imagine if you were a yokel with two kooky droids that lead you to some crazy hermit, who told you that your father was responsible for the destruction of the only law-abiding body of the galaxy and gave you a glowing dildo to save the rest of the universe from the galactic empire's tyranny.  how would you react to that?

jtm

Quote from: TryskadekafobiaImagine if you were a yokel with two kooky droids that lead you to some crazy hermit, who told you that your father was responsible for the destruction of the only law-abiding body of the galaxy and gave you a glowing dildo to save the rest of the universe from the galactic empire's tyranny.  how would you react to that?

story of my life.

Pubrick

Quote from: TryskadekafobiaImagine if you were a yokel with two kooky droids that lead you to some crazy hermit, who told you that your father was responsible for the destruction of the only law-abiding body of the galaxy and gave you a glowing dildo to save the rest of the universe from the galactic empire's tyranny.  how would you react to that?
under the paving stones.

Stefen

omg p. i'm dying here. hahahahahahaha.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

This was so much better than I and II, but I agree that this doesn't mean it's a good movie.

There were still many huge things in the way. The dialogue. Hayden Christensen's voice. The aforementioned mystery draining.

And I too had a problem with Anakin's transformation. I think the primary reason I couldn't connect with it is that it isn't actually shown. All the way up to the point he joins Palpatine, he absolutely recognizes wrongness of what he's done and is doing. So how does he end up believing that it's right? It's made out to be a conscious decision, and I think that's where the problem begins. Turning to the dark side singularly to save Padme's life makes no sense. How stupid does he have to be to fall into such an obvious trap? Sure, his judgment is a bit clouded, but this is just common sense. And I was not convinced that his jealousy for Padme (since it couldn't have been love) was sufficient motivation for him to make such a sacrifice. That wasn't at all established until the heavy-handed "You're trying to take her from me!" scene. Where was that before? It doesn't add up. And apparently he made his full transformation to the dark side when he went on the killing spree in the Jedi temple, but we don't really see it. I would have liked to see him kill some of those children. That's all I ask for.

I have one complaint about the CGI. Things (be they human or droid) fall too fast. It happened once during the first meeting with General Greivous, and a few other times. And remember when Obi-wan and Qui-Gon jump like 30 feet down early in Episode I? Talk about greivous.

And then there's the time paradox. He turns to the dark side because Padme is going to die, but she dies because he turns to the dark side. But that's kind of funny.

I strongly disliked Padme's 80s hair, though her marginally better dialogue slightly lessened the impact.

The highlights were Hayden Christensen's faces and Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan in general. That was seriously a great character in this movie, though I'm not sure why.

The last several minutes (after the new Darth Vader does the awkward wiggling thing while screaming "noooo") were pretty magical. It's kind of smart like Million Dollar Baby in that way.

Ghostboy

What did you think about Palpatine? Despite the flaws of the other two films, his takeover of the Republic is rather brilliantly plotted - something that doesn't quite become readily apparent until this film. I read a review that said, no matter how bad the writing in these three are, the plotting is actually far stronger than the original trilogy, and I think I might have to agree. All of the material with Palpatine was uniformly brilliant - perhaps that's where Tom Stoppard did some of his uncredited rewrite, but much credit must also go to Ian McDiarmid, who is just amazing here (the scene in the Opera House is a real stand-out).

I'd also like to mention that it was wonderful to see the medical droids 21B and FX7 operating on Vader there at the end. These are the same model droids who care for Luke in the Bacta tank in ESB, and build his mechanical hand.

I haven't had much to say about this movie because I just love it too much, unequivocally, wholeheartedly, etc. I know it has it's problems, but damn if I'm not perfectly willing to overlook them for everything it does right.

Also, to whomever asked about what's different in the DLP versions...the answer is nothing. I guess that was some misinformation, regarding the Dagobah scene.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GhostboyWhat did you think about Palpatine? Despite the flaws of the other two films, his takeover of the Republic is rather brilliantly plotted - something that doesn't quite become readily apparent until this film. I read a review that said, no matter how bad the writing in these three are, the plotting is actually far stronger than the original trilogy, and I think I might have to agree. All of the material with Palpatine was uniformly brilliant - perhaps that's where Tom Stoppard did some of his uncredited rewrite, but much credit must also go to Ian McDiarmid, who is just amazing here (the scene in the Opera House is a real stand-out).
The plotting was pretty genius up to the point where it required Anakin's transformation (which many of us don't believe).

Sometimes I just wished the characters would shut up and let the images and sounds speak. That's why the last few minutes worked so well. Do you think Lucas could have made this a slower-paced, more sensory (but more magical and convincing... and serious) trilogy?

Ghostboy

If he had directed two movies prior to Episode I, so he'd had the time to get into the groove he is now, then yes. They'd have still been similar, plot-wise (and they wouldn't necessarily have been slower, because he's always been a speed freak) but probably would have carried much more weight and been more satisfying overall. The final moments of Revenge Of The Sith, along with several sequences earlier in the film, harken all the way back to his THX days, and the brilliance that was so palpable in that early work.

There's one missed opportunity that would have made Anakin's switch far more believable (and kept if from hinging on more than just Padme). If, after he had helped kill Mace Windu (an act of impetuousness, which is understandable), Palpatine had convinced him that he would be arrested and removed from the Jedi Order, that would have been great. Not only would the Padme thing still be an issue, but he'd be ostracized from the only other thing that matters to him.

Still, I bought it.

lamas

i think a MAJOR missed opportunity to make Anakin's switch more believable would have been if Anakin had reported back to Mace and LIED about Palpatine being the Sith lord.  skeptical Mace would still confront Palpatine and the rest of that scene would've played out the same.  that little bit of deceptiveness would've made Anakin's turn and submissiveness to the Emperor much less sudden.  that, or Lucas could've let the actors act.

Pubrick

Quote from: lamasthat, or Lucas could've let the actors act.
that's pretty much what it comes down to.

they didn't even need to act that much, the original trilogy was no nashville. just a little acting would suffice, but he couldn't even give us that..
under the paving stones.

Myxo

We can be thankful he didn't shoot all three films at the same time as in Lord of the Rings.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MyxomatosisWe can be thankful he didn't shoot all three films at the same time as in Lord of the Rings.
Yes... He wouldn't have had the benefit of Jar-Jar backlash, for one. Plus the Natalie Portman getting older thing wouldn't have been there.

And it's so true that Lucas didn't let the actors act. Their performances seem so undeveloped... It feels like they went with the first or second takes.