LA Film Festival

Started by Film Student, June 17, 2004, 06:36:48 PM

Film Student

I'm in LA for the summer (hence my long absence from the board), and I miraculously scored free tickets (normally $100) to the opening gala premiere of "Garden State" and after-party at the hollywood athletic club... Anyone else going?  Anyone been in previous years?  I'm curious what its going to be like...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

LostEraser

I would love to go. I've been attending a lot of the films and I'm going to see Guy Maddin's Cowards Bend The Knee tomorrow but I can't afford to go to any of the cool stuff like that. Let us know what it's like.

Danny Elfman, Alexander Payne, as well as a few other cool people are doing some of those "coffee talk" things which I would have loved to go to and meet them. Are you going to get to go to any of those?
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

Film Student

yeah, I got to go to the Tom Cruise/Michael Mann thing, which was very cool... I wanted to go to Alexander Payne's screenwriting chat and the horror chat with Eli Roth, Tobe Hooper, Guillermo Del Toro, Don Coscarelli, and Joe Dante,  but those were sold out... I was especially bummed about the horror chat being full... oh well.

I've seen some great movies so far, though... "Haute Tension", "Overnight", and "We Don't Live Here Anymore"  are all spectacular... I hope to go to "The Hunting of the President" on Thursday and "The Clearing" closing night party, but we'll see... I've gotten to hang out in the VIP Room, or "Red Room" as they're calling it... that's been fun.  Harold and Kumar were there drinking on Friday, as well as a smattering of other film-related people, and the alcohol is free, so you can't really beat that.  It's my first film festival experience, and it's been a lot of fun.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

©brad