Things in movies that scared you as a kid.

Started by Stefen, January 16, 2004, 12:42:23 AM

Stefen

Don't know if this topic has been discussed, couldn't find anything, but the horror movie thread made me think of what things in movies scared you as a kid? Some of mine are.

The werewolf in an american werewolf in london - and the lead actor David Naughton. Even though its a comedy it would scare the hell out of me.

The little troll in cats eye - that scary fucker was an asshole.

Bill Murray used to scare me for some reason. When I would see his face on the cover of the vhs tapes I would cry like a baby.

I used to get scared when I would watch robocop because the city (detroit i think?) looked so crummy and crime ridden.

Just a trip down memory lane.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

that  Dinosaur inking Wayne Knight in Jurassic Park.

movies with skelletons in general.

beavis and butthead.

the Heavy Metal movie.
context, context, context.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Redlum

I was okay with Werewolf in London but for some reason I couldn't watch Michael J Fox turning into Teenwolf in the bathroom.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

classical gas

Quote from: SlorgEverything in the Shining

I would agree, but more specifically, the two girls standing in the hallway freaked me out good.

Also, IT.  That clown scared the hell out of me when i was younger.

cine

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

emperor palpatine and when darth vadar took his mask off.
the shot of the alien dude in close encounter of the third kind.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Link

When Barney was being tortured in A Man Called Flintstone.  You guys ever see that flick?  Still the scariest movie I've ever seen.

rustinglass

I was scared of all clowns even the good ones, I still am.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SoNowThen

The evil judge in Roger Rabbit. I've had many a nightmare about him.

Jaws, sharks, killer whales, water in general. I have a recurring dream where I'm trapped in a swimming pool, wave pool, outdoor pool, and I'm walking along the ledge which is about a foot thick, and I can see into the water, and sharks and killer whales are swimming around, waiting for me to fall in...

Also, the Red Bull from The Last Unicorn.

Oh, and the box cover from Candyman -- I would've been too afraid to rent it, but even seeing the cover in the video store freaked me out.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Edit:  beat by SoNowThen on the Roger Rabbit thing!
I like to hug dogs

Alethia

the statue of the lion outside the library at the beginning of ghostbusters

when the dog got the shit beat out of him in radio flyer

the clown doll from poltergeist

©brad

i second ET. when i was little i made my mom come into my room before bed and check my closet to make sure ET wasn't in there. i wouldn't go to sleep unless she did.

also, this one is a little obscure, but as a kid i was always scared of the KKK costume. i can't really remember a specific movie i saw it in, but the KKK just used to freak me out. those white cone hats, they're... weird. plus the whole killing black ppl thing wasn't cool.