What are you favorite Top 5 Movies of all time?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 23, 2003, 05:03:10 PM

Reel

Quote from: Reelist on August 29, 2012, 10:34:49 AM
Taxi Driver
The Shining
Punch Drunk Love
Jackie Brown
Sling Blade
Ghost World
Body Double
Ordinary People
Adaptation
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

second set ( no particular order )

Doubt
Blow Out
Being There
Deliverance
Rashomon
Drive
Magnolia
Storytelling
Poltergeist
I <3 Huckabees

Yes

1. Dumb and Dumber
2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
3. Goodfellas
4. Magnolia
5. Star Wars

6. Royal Tenenbaums
7. Clerks
8. Blue Velvet
9. Dazed and Confused
10. Superbad

Reel

Cool, we have the same top 2, high five! I wonder what that says about us as men, or movie lovers, or members of society in general... PDL(obv) and Ghost World are also in my top ten. That was only a post ago, Idk why I'm reiterating it.

Drive is the most recent addtion on my list.

polkablues

Quote from: Reelist on May 30, 2013, 12:02:08 PM
Cool, we have the same top 2, high five! I wonder what that says about us as men, or movie lovers, or members of society in general...

That you identify with violent, unstable loners?

Quote from: Reelist on May 30, 2013, 12:02:08 PM
Drive is the most recent addtion on my list.

Nailed it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SailorOfTheSeas

Hmm.

1. The Master
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring EE
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. Oldboy

These are my absolute top 4. I can't wait to see somethings that gets to me as much as the above. Other favourites are Amelie, TWBB, Magnolia, PDL, The Shining, Lady Vengeance and some more. still relatively young so ive got many many years to add more stuff to this list. What do you lot recommend based on what ive said? 

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

think a solid start based on what you listed, and building from what macguffin said, is john huston. he's a pta favorite, so he's got the higher-authority status that's often helpful. the master bluray has huston's let there be light, let's call that covered

here's the john huston section:

treasure of the sierra madre -- you can google what this movie meant to pta while he was making twbb. it meant a lot to him. plus, john huston's dad walter is in it, and walter makes fun of people in the most interesting and playful way possible (dancing is involved)

key largo -- for when you're into john huston and humphrey bogart. great filmmakers in that time period were terrific at making bogart a pathetic person

asphalt jungle -- by calendar dates this is the first serious allout heist movie within the crime genre, according to a guy who once told me that

the african queen -- jungle, bogart, boat, hepburn. a lot of the best features of early hollywood movies are here -- there's so much less fun and adventure in the jungle these days! and fewer characters who know what to do in the jungle and how to do it, and you believe the characters, partially because irl all the rich people loved going into jungles and wild areas and killing animals, and anyway everyone is serious in a human way and believable in a storytelling way

beat the devil -- i keep meaning to watch this. will you watch it? i think it's some kinda zany movie that truman capote helped write

moby dick -- john huston, whose the maltese falcon helped launch film noir and i didn't even mention the maltese falcon, because i don't like it, john huston could spot a jewel. this isn't his best movie and it's got all these problems like ray bradbury wrote the screenplay, orson welles gives a thunderous and lyrical sermon, gregory peck plays captain ahab, and there's a showdown with a whale

SailorOfTheSeas

thanks for the thorough reply jenkins, i'll try and watch all of those over the summer, including beat the devil, and tell u what i think  :) and i guess with that, i will have covered MacGuffin's recommendation too! 

spirit of the beehive
vivre sa vie
begotten
window water baby moving
last life in the universe;

as all old schoolers here know, i can go on, but ill leave it to this for now.

Korova

Well, this is difficult, but I'm gonna go with these:

8 1/2
A Clockwork Orange
Scenes from a Marriage (the TV-series)
Mulholland Drive
The Tree of Life

Now for 5 runners-up (just because):
Pulp Fiction
M
Vertigo
Jules et Jim
Taxi Driver

Favorite campfest: What Ever Happened to Baby Jane
Favorite tearjerker: Dancer in the Dark

Well, this was easier than I thought.

samsong

Quote from: samsong on August 15, 2003, 05:05:26 PM
Sunrise
Raging Bull
They Live By Night
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Days of Heaven

well, this has changed quite a bit, sort of...

nights of cabiria
playtime
make way for tomorrow
mulholland drive
days of heaven

Sleepless

Quote from: Sleepless on August 29, 2012, 11:06:28 AM

1.  Jurassic Park
2.  There Will Be Blood
3.  The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
4.  Easy Rider
5.  American Beauty

A couple months shy of two years later...

1.  There Will Be Blood
2.  Easy Rider
3.  Jurassic Park/Raiders of the Lost Ark
4.  The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
5.  Eraserhead
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilder

An attempt:

Chinatown
Eyes Wide Shut
Heat
The Night of the Hunter
Scenes from a Marriage
The Talented Mr. Ripley

Got it to 6. It feels criminal leaving off Lumet, Kieslowski, and Cassavetes. Next few:

Crash (1996)
The Decalogue
Dog Day Afternoon
Love Streams
Midnight Cowboy
Pusher II / Pusher III
Safe (1995)
We Won't Grow Old Together

Reel

Inspired by eward's "PTA movies with emojis post"

My top ten:

Taxi Driver 🚖👶🏻🤷🏼‍♀️