Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

socketlevel

i really like that one for the killing
the one last hit that spent you...

Reinhold

Quote from: socketlevel on September 21, 2010, 03:19:40 PM
i really like that one for the killing

me too. i e-mailed the artist. he says there are no authorized prints for sale, but in the event that he gets some he'll let the people who ask him know where to get them.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

squints

I really like the Five Easy Pieces and A Colt is my Passport. Actually they're all pretty fantastic.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

socketlevel

Ok so what's the deal with Canada getting it in the poop? the last two weeks seven samarai, paths of glory and house were not shipped anywhere in Ontario. wtf.

Gold Trumpet

Latest image from Criterion Newsletter is a picture of an owl with headphones on.

Suggests De Palma's Blow Out. Would be a great addition to Criterion.

Stefen

Couldn't pass up a 50% off Criterion sale!

blind buy!

And I think I'm going to pickup Antichrist next week. Wanted to get the ice storm but it's not on Blu-Ray.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

so in toronto we didn't get paths of glory seven samurai and house on time (blu ray), but when they did come out (last thursday) for some reason we got Antichrist a week early, which i picked up.

was this just a Canadian screw up in our favor or was this everywhere? have you yanks got it yet?

Stefen

I saw Paths of Glory and House (which I bought) on Thursday at B & N, but no Antichrist, which I'll be going back to purchase this week.

I'm thinking about just picking up the DVD of The Ice Storm since it's one of my favorite films ever, but I'm worried that a BR edition will be announced soon. What to do?

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

socketlevel

ya wait, i'm not buying any dvds anymore.

Stefen

That's disheartening. I wish there was more Criterion BD.

I gotta say, The Thin Red Line on Criterion BD is pretty much one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Alexandro

I got tired of waiting and ordered Fanny & Alexander (the complete version) DVD.
It was cheap anyways and well, I can't wait.
I also bought thin red line and blind bought The Magician.

Stefen

Apparently The Thin Red Line is getting tougher to find. It's out at stores and back-ordered online. Glad I got one.

So today I went and picked up Antichrist and The Ice Storm and used a 10% off coupon so each one came out to like $19 each. NOT BAD.

But a funny thing happened -- when I was looking at The Ice Storm I noticed the Director Approved sticker didn't say Ang Lee, but said Terry Gilliam. Is this normal? Is this just a sticker they put on every Criterion release or was it a mistake? Can you imagine The Ice Storm as done by Terry Gilliam? A fantastical adventure filled with adultery, child death and key parties?

Here's a pic. Is this normal?