EXTRA SUPER BONUS SPECIAL EDITION

Started by SoNowThen, January 28, 2004, 01:52:22 PM

MacGuffin

Universal have announced an 'explosive extended edition' of Matt Damon flick The Bourne Identity which also stars Franka Potente, Chris Cooper and Clive Owen. This all-new edition will include a brand new beginning and ending, as well as a plethora of extra material. Strangely, the runtime is listed as being one hour and fifty-nine minutes, which we understand to be identical to the previously available theatrical edition. The disc itself will be available to own from the 13th July, just in time for the release of The Bourne Supremacy in cinemas. The full details below:

2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track
French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track
Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track
The Bourne Mastermind (Author) Featurette
Matt Damon: From Identity To Supremacy (Interviews)
The Bourne Diagnosis (With a UCLA Psychologist)
Cloak And Dagger: Cover Ops (Real Special Ops)
Inside A Fight Scene: US Embassy Sequence
Deleted Scenes: Declassified Information
Free Movie Ticket for Bourne Supremacy
English, French, Spanish Subtitles
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i love this thread because now all the dvds that are blatantly trying to rip us off and cash in on something are easily identifiable.  thanks thread!  :wink:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Thread: DON'T MENTION IT, MODAGE.

Has anyone talked about the upcoming Region 1 Trainspotting Collector's Edition DVD ?? It's being released in June , I think.

Oh, and how many Explosive Editions are in the Worldwide DVD catalogue so far?
context, context, context.

Ravi

Includes all-new beginning, middle, and end!

MacGuffin

Quote from: cronopio inrockuptibleHas anyone talked about the upcoming Region 1 Trainspotting Collector's Edition DVD ?? It's being released in June , I think.

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1289
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

The problem with all of the discs that have been mentioned here is that they already had a pretty good edition, Trainspotting doesn't fall into that catagory because the disc that was released was bare bones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: cronopio inrockuptibleOh, and how many Explosive Editions are in the Worldwide DVD catalogue so far?

Ah, ah, Explosive Extended Edition, my friend. This baby is one-of-a-kind!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SiliasRuby

I don't know if this specific information has been posted (I know it was posted that Quentin was going to do multiple additions and 2 extra supplemental discs, like the American Pie Series did.) but this is what I read today on digitalbits.com, I couldn't believe that this guy actually said it, so I had to read it twice. Anyway, here's what I read:

(Finally this morning, I've saved the best (or worst) for last. The NY Times has a new story up on how the Hollywood studios are rushing to cash in on the DVD boom. Here's your happy, happy, joy, joy from the article... Miramax is reportedly preparing to release a half-dozen different DVD editions of Kill Bill:
"This is the beauty of having two volumes," said Rick Sands, chief operating officer at Miramax. "Vol. 1 goes out, Vol. 2 goes out, then Vol. 1 Special Edition, Vol. 2 Special Edition, the two-pack, then the Tarantino collection as a boxed set out for Christmas. It's called multiple bites at the apple. And you multiply this internationally." Mr. Tarantino has also cut an alternate version of the movie for Japan.

I'm gonna ask the obvious right now: Can you believe the BALLS required to make a statement like that in public? To a reporter? For a story that people are going to READ?! Do you suppose Miramax planned to let fans of the film know about all this, so they could... oh, I don't know... maybe make informed decisions about which version they want to spend their hard-earned cash on? I can understand the need to put out multiple DVD versions of a film on occasion, but DAMN! A half-dozen different DVD editions, and Tarantino wants to release stand-alone Beneath the Crust-style discs of supplemental materials as well?!)

Jeez...And they wonder why some of us download movies off the web.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Greedy studios make DVDs not so special
Source: Boston Globe

When I received my first DVD player for Christmas in 2001, I did what anyone with such a spanking new high-tech toy would do: I immediately dashed out and bought an armload of my favorite movies on disc. I started with "Blazing Saddles," "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," and "The Great Escape," and by the time 2001 turned into 2002, I had also picked up "Enter the Dragon," "Amadeus," and Akira Kurosawa's "Ran."

I've spent the years since replacing those early acquisitions with newfangled DVD versions of the same movies. As a DVD novice, it never occurred to me that the studios would release multiple versions of the same film.

And I don't just mean full-screen versus wide-screen (letterboxed) formats. I refer to the irritating, increasing tendency of the ever-rapacious movie industry to make a big deal out of releasing a hotly awaited film on DVD, and then months, sometimes years later putting out another version of that movie that's tricked-out with features. Collector's editions give way to special editions, limited editions are replaced by ultimate versions -- all with the intention of wringing more dollars out of consumers.

On the first day of its DVD release, "Kill Bill Vol. 1," Quentin Tarantino's ultraviolent, ultrastylish revenge orgy starring Uma Thurman, sold 2 million copies and made a whopping $40 million. Customers snapping up this fairly bare-bones disc -- in addition to the film, there's only a making-of documentary, a "Vol. 2" trailer, and video from the Japanese all-girl band the 5.6.7.8's, who perform in the film -- probably did so expecting a later version featuring both parts of the film. ("Kill Bill Vol. 2" recently opened in theaters.) But what customers buying the disc didn't know was that Miramax is actually planning six different DVD releases of the "Kill Bill" films.

Here's how Rick Sands, Miramax's chief operating officer, explained it to The New York Times last week:

" `Vol. 1' goes out, `Vol. 2' goes out, then `Vol. 1 Special Edition,' `Vol. 2 Special Edition,' the two-pack, then the Tarantino collection as a boxed set for Christmas," he said. "It's called multiple bites at the apple."

The apple ain't the only thing getting bitten.

It may have taken the studios a few years to recognize the public's embrace of DVDs, but now they're clearly focused on greedily exploiting that desire as much as possible. Studios can now spend as much promoting a film on DVD as for its theatrical run, and the financial benefits can quickly become a bonanza. And movie executives understand that someone willing to buy a movie they've probably already paid $10 to see in a theater wants the best available version of a beloved film. (This is why "The Lord of the Rings" fans who bought the two-disc versions of the first two films turned right around and bought the extended four-disc box sets at twice the price.)

See, it's never been just the much-improved quality of the picture and sound on DVDs that makes them so hot. It's all those cool extras such as full-length commentary tracks from cast and crew members, deleted scenes, outtakes, and behind-the-scenes documentaries. Some also offer interviews with stars and directors on programs such as "Charlie Rose" or appearances from film festivals. Save being on a movie set, it's the most comprehensive way to fully experience a favorite film.

If the studios wanted to be fair (and, of course, there's no indication that they would even know how), they would take their cues from the Criterion Collection, generally recognized as the gold standard for DVD releases. The collection features films from the world's great directors such as Kurosawa, Federico Fellini, and Alfred Hitchcock, and its releases are lovingly restored and usually enhanced with multiple special features. Criterion DVDs tend to be more expensive -- a typical two-disc set runs about $40 -- but it seems worth it because these releases tend to be definitive versions. And Criterion avoids such meaningless terms as "collector's edition" or "special edition," meant to lure customers believing they are getting something extra.

Studio suits would do well to remember the hard lessons learned by the record industry. As CD prices inexplicably increased year after year, some fans turned to peer-to-peer downloading services such as Kazaa and the then-illegal Napster for their music fix. The music industry has been crying foul ever since and suing the very people it wants to purchase its product.

With the "Kill Bill Vol. 1" disc selling so well on its debut day, the studios probably believe they have a green light to continue abusing their customers -- "Hey, no one's making them buy those DVDs," they probably reason. Yet it seems only a matter of time before the public's love of DVDs is poisoned with anger at the studios for exploiting that love for more and more money.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

For a lot of DVD releases one probably has to read DVD sites to know whether there is something special coming up.  Not everyone is like us, so I don't expect Average Joe to read DVDfile.com every morning.  I have a good track record regarding special editions.  I skip the original LD transfer rehash DVDs (except for the Bruce Lee set, which were my very first), and even when an SE comes out, I typically wait a while to get it, in case there are transfer issues or another edition is coming.  Even if the Kill Bill SEs and mega-box have different extras, I'm not sure I like the films enough to buy all editions.

SoNowThen

Yeah, but dvds are usually cheapest right when they come out. Like the pre-orders on Amazon. Pretty much all I spend my money on is dvds, so looking to save $2 a disc really adds up. It's a stupid hassle really, and it's about to get a lot harder once I move to Europe....

Quote from: MacGuffinGreedy studios make DVDs not so special
Source: Boston Globe

See, it's never been just the much-improved quality of the picture and sound on DVDs that makes them so hot. It's all those cool extras such as full-length commentary tracks from cast and crew members, deleted scenes, outtakes, and behind-the-scenes documentaries. Some also offer interviews with stars and directors on programs such as "Charlie Rose" or appearances from film festivals. Save being on a movie set, it's the most comprehensive way to fully experience a favorite film.

Y'know what though, how long is that gonna last? Does average joe really love making-of's that much? This has gotta get played out...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Disney has announced plans to release a three-disc edition of Pirates Of The Caribbean this November. Details are still pretty sketchy on this one at the moment, although it will be made up of the standard two-disc set already on the market, along with a bonus disc containing eight new bonus features. The set will be available to own from the 2nd November this year, priced at around $29.99.

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffinDisney has announced plans to release a three-disc edition of Pirates Of The Caribbean this November. Details are still pretty sketchy on this one at the moment, although it will be made up of the standard two-disc set already on the market, along with a bonus disc containing eight new bonus features. The set will be available to own from the 2nd November this year, priced at around $29.99.

.....hahahaha.........sorry disney......you are not going to get me b/c the 2 disc set is loaded enough.........

Myxo

Upcoming SE that are making me wait to buy..

Leon - 1/11/2005

Raging Bull - 2/8/2005

Donnie Darko - 2/15/2005

Heat - 2/22/2005