masturbation in several films of 2002

Started by tpfkabi, February 06, 2003, 11:40:56 PM

Ghostboy

If you think Maggie Gyllenhall is cute, you should definitely see Secretary. Her performance, aside from being amazing, is also quite revealing. She was the best thing about the movie, which otherwise was only okay.

tpfkabi

i forgot about diane. she deserves a statute me thinks. remember the first time she cheats when she's shivering (her flat tummy that is), that is believable. now, i'm not sure i believe that gere would be cuckold, but o well.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

There is a reference to masturbation within Igby Goes Down, which I thought was a wonderful little movie with more truth and emotional impact then the all hailed but overrated Royal Tennebaums.

I guess masturbation scenes are reaching what suicide scenes have always been, and that it always is impactful. More now it is being used for showing the patheticness in someone but every now and then, it used for showing a personal liberation in someone, usually a female someone. Everyone knows masturbation but it is still something done under the covers and considered private, so showing it on the screen, makes people squirm a little because they can relate it to something they do but really aren't that fond of to admit it in public.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

Me and my friend think the most brilliant masturbation scene is in Mulholland Drive. Everything getting blurry, then clear. Naomi Watts is great. First she's crying and she's so upset and trying to dull the pain of of Camilla, then she just gets angry and focused, and those last few thrusts of the hand are quite violent! It's a great great great scene.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyIf you think Maggie Gyllenhall is cute, you should definitely see Secretary. Her performance, aside from being amazing, is also quite revealing. She was the best thing about the movie, which otherwise was only okay.

Acting siblings Jake Gyllenhaal and Maggie Gyllenhaal refuse to be drawn into a rivalry over their careers - because they have too much love for each other. The sexy stars have both wowed audiences in the last few years - Jake in Donnie Darko and The Good Girl, Maggie in Secretary - and often find that other people are trying to stir competitiveness between them. Jake says, "I think we are less competitive now. We've realized our competition doesn't come from each other. It's from the outside, people pushing the competition and us being like, 'Wait. What the f*** are we doing? I love you. I love you too. There's no need for this'. Then again, we both want to do great work. I know she's great, but the choices she makes come from the same places mine do. It's like watching me sometimes. We're really close that way. Maggie's my best friend."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetthe all hailed but overrated Royal Tennebaums.

~rougerum

:evil:

BonBon85

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThere is a reference to masturbation within Igby Goes Down, which I thought was a wonderful little movie with more truth and emotional impact then the all hailed but overrated Royal Tennebaums.

I can't see how you can really compare the two. I don't think they were meant to be. I thought both movies were good, but for different reasons. Sure Igby was less stylized than Tennenbaums, but I didn't think it was better. I think it was intentional that Igby had greater "emotional impact."

Gold Trumpet

They are comparative in the sense that both do have similiar stories of familes of genuis and high society going through life. Obviously, they are different with one being more for styling while the other is for a more truthful representation that would make it more emotional, so you are right. But i think the difference can show how one is better than the other since RT plays so much off the stylings that by the end, it gives in to them with everyone is happily ever after ending. You can argue that it is the right ending or not, but it is a cliched ending and the movie could have been made better with a more unique ending that pushed the styling of the movie further into a unique weirdness instead of letting it just level off at the end. With RT, I felt I was being played with too much with the plot when it decided to end like this, instead of giving a more realized ending that was fitting for the dark tones of the rest of the movie. Igby just realized its humor to its most honest ways in a fitting way that was smart for the rest of the movie, so on that instant it differed for me from RT and was a better movie because of it.

luv you too, cbr.

~rougerum

tpfkabi

it seems that wes anderson likes happy endings....i don't think it ruins the movie.....is it so bad for an arty movie to end happily? i think its believable that a father would try and reconcile with his family, well actually, we know he was needing money, but in the process he found that he missed them........remember the line about, "the last couple of days were the best days of my life." and then he realizes it was true......it doesn't mean they are all happy, chaz prob still fears for his boys, did margot and richie get together? murray fills his life with a study on a weird boy..

Gold Trumpet

nothing against a normal happy ending at all, but I do believe the film presents a dark tone of humor that warrants a different ending. My complaints of this is much more for Rushmore than RT really, because RT has more heart to it, but I still would have wished for a better thought out ending then one that runs with a montage of everyone getting back together, in ways. Though someone once brought up a good argument that both these movies were like comic books and a kind of ending like this was only expected. That may be true, but maybe the talent in the story and making it may be what is holding the film back for me. I still like it and own the criterion discs for both, but I put Igby Goes Down higher still.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

No Nudity for Jake Gyllenhaal--Yet!

Donnie Darko star Jake Gyllenhaal has turned down the opportunity to work with an acclaimed Italian filmmaker, because he doesn't want to take his clothes off. The young hunk was offered a role in Bernado Bertolucci's The Dreamers, but refused because he has strict rules concerning on-screen disrobing. The Good Girl star claims he'll only agree to nudity in his roles when it plays a part in the story telling of the movie. He says, "I'll show my d*ck if it helps the narrative. I'm not going to throw my d*ck around just because. And if I do it, I want to establish a base of trust and have a final say in how much of my body is shown." However, the more gregarious streak in the family can be found in sibling Maggie Gyllenhaal. Jake adds, "My sister's naked in Secretary and it was in Playboy later. But she made a great movie and it was part of the narrative and she said if it's in Playboy f*ck it. more publicity for the movie. At least the movie told a great story."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

phil marlowe

Quote from: MacGuffinThe young hunk was offered a role in Bernado Bertolucci's The Dreamers.

Is it Karen Blixens The Dreamers?

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThey are comparative in the sense that both do have similiar stories of familes of genuis and high society going through life. Obviously, they are different with one being more for styling while the other is for a more truthful representation that would make it more emotional, so you are right. But i think the difference can show how one is better than the other since RT plays so much off the stylings that by the end, it gives in to them with everyone is happily ever after ending. You can argue that it is the right ending or not, but it is a cliched ending and the movie could have been made better with a more unique ending that pushed the styling of the movie further into a unique weirdness instead of letting it just level off at the end. With RT, I felt I was being played with too much with the plot when it decided to end like this, instead of giving a more realized ending that was fitting for the dark tones of the rest of the movie. Igby just realized its humor to its most honest ways in a fitting way that was smart for the rest of the movie, so on that instant it differed for me from RT and was a better movie because of it.

luv you too, cbr.

~rougerum

I see the ending of Royal Tennenbaums as kind of bittersweet in a way. I mean, mind you now, it ended at Royal's funeral. That's not exactly the same happy-everything is okay-thank god the dog lived- Chris Columbus- shit you get. I think it's very open ended- you really don't know the fate of all the characters, but you know it might get a little better. The ending to me is perfect, gets me everytime.

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffinNo Nudity for Jake Gyllenhaal--Yet!

, "My sister's naked in Secretary and it was in Playboy later. But she made a great movie and it was part of the narrative and she said if it's in Playboy f*ck it. more publicity for the movie. At least the movie told a great story."

she did pics for Playboy, or they had stills from the film?

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls