Movie confessions!

Started by Sigur Rós, May 29, 2003, 09:10:40 AM

Sigur Rós

This could be about cool movies you haven't seen....Uncool films that You like.....That you are secretly in love with Brett Ratner......That you've forgot to rewind your blockbuster-tapes....etc.

Confess my child!  :wink:

SoNowThen

Not seen: anything Hitchcock (except Psycho), anything Bergman (except Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries). Really no important pre-50's Hollywood films save Citizen Kane and Casablanca, and a handful of noirs. Seen only one silent film, and hated it. Can't stand the acting style in Fuller, Kurosawa, Lynch. Will vehemently defend Ghostbusters as one of the greatest films ever made.

*whew*
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

children with angels

If you liked Psycho: check out Vertigo. If you liked Seventh Seal, Strawberries: check out Persona.

(I feel like this thread can also consist of helpful hints)

Now for my unforgivable crime: I have never seen a film by Godard. :shock:

I know: what the fuck is going on?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

SoNowThen

You must RUN -- not walk -- now and buy Band Of Outsiders, Contempt, and My Life To Live.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

I got teary eyed during Sweet Home Alabama, when Reese Witherspoon is talking to her dead dog. Dead dogs always get me.

SoNowThen

Yeah, in one day I cried during Hoosiers AND Glory. Not so much from the movies, but because I had my own things going on. But "Dennis Hopper in the hospital" scene, and "Matthew Broderick's men volunteer to be in front to charge the fort" scene both made we weep.

??

MacGuffin

Quote from: Sigur RósThis could be about cool movies you haven't seen.

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=234

Quote from: Sigur RósUncool films that You like.

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1843
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

penfold0101

I have never seen a single Hitchcock film (Even thought I own North by north west & Psycho)

Never seen any of the Godfather films!

Never seen anything by Goddard

I LOVE crappy, cheesy teen films, among my favorites are Bring it on, 10 Things I Hate About You & GO.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenYou must RUN -- not walk -- now and buy Band Of Outsiders, Contempt, and My Life To Live.

Seconded.

If you have a problem with the acting style in Kurosawa, you might be interested in Altman's video intro to Rashoman, where he acknowledges this and goes some way towards explaining it.

But as for Lynch... well, once I'm immersed, I find the acting perfect. It fits what's going on in the films, I think. And I have yet to see a better postmillenial performance than the one Naomi Watts gave in Mulholland Dr..

Persona is Bergman's greatest film; Cries and Whispers shouldn't be missed, either.

Children, the best first Godard to see is My Life to Live.

As for my own confessions, well... I hate, thoroughly and resoundingly, anything Star Wars. All the movies, including the original trilogy. I think they're terrible. Normally, that wouldn't even be a confession, except these movies seem to hold more sentimental value to everyone than any other movie, a childhood thing. It actually seems to upset more people if you don't like Star Wars than if you were to put down The Godfather or Citizen Kane.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

I would say the BEST Godard is My Life To Live, but not to watch first. Watch something easy to get into, like Petit Soldat or Band Of Outsiders. Then, once you're used to reading films the way he wants you to, go to Life. And then discover Alphaville and Woman Is A Woman and Pierrot Le Fou.

Oh, and I listened to the Altman intro. I understand and accept it, but I still find it annoying. And what's with the no-eyebrows on the chicks? This is actually pretty sad, but I find it hard to enjoy films that have a female love interest who is tres ugly (ie. PDL, anything Canadian).

Sigur Rós

Quote from: penfold0101GO.

I like this one too!

Ok, It's time to clean up!

confession 1: I like bad kung-fu-films like the ones with Bruce Lee! (I realize, that when saying this, it's like shouting "I like Pet-shop Boys!" at a Metallica-concert!)

Confession 2: I've never thought Woody Allen was that foxy! (I know I offend a lot of you guys by saying this, sorry!) Btw I hate his acting and his films!

Confession 3: I own Bill and Ted's Boogys Journey on VHS.....and I actually think it's funny. (I'm a pervert!)

Confession 4: The funniest films I've ever seen are Waynes World 1-2

Confession 5: I often cry while watching Danielle Steele-movie's.....I'm selling myself out!

Confession: I've never made a short-film....but next year I'll make some together with 'Phil Marlowe'.

I'll save some for later!

Kev Hoffman

Quote from: Sigur Rós

Confession 4: The funniest films I've ever seen are Waynes World 1-2

There is no shame, I repeat, no shame, in that.  I have special place in my heart for the Waynes World movies.

©brad

alright i have one but thats all im gonna do in this thread b/c first off we've done all this shit before and secondly this kidna stuff can really make you mad. (u hate woody allen's acting? kurosawa, lynch? pfft.. loser)

pretty woman is a great movie. fucking great.

children with angels

Godard... Christ - I can't believe I told you guys that...! I'm going to get on it really soon, I promise, and shall take your advice on reccomendations (you didn't mention A Bout de Souffle - I find that interesting: is in not as wonderful as its reputation would have one believe? Just not as great as others I guess)...

Now for another clanger: I think Sleepless in Seattle is superb.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenI would say the BEST Godard is My Life To Live, but not to watch first. Watch something easy to get into, like Petit Soldat or Band Of Outsiders. Then, once you're used to reading films the way he wants you to, go to Life. And then discover Alphaville and Woman Is A Woman and Pierrot Le Fou.

Oh, and I listened to the Altman intro. I understand and accept it, but I still find it annoying. And what's with the no-eyebrows on the chicks? This is actually pretty sad, but I find it hard to enjoy films that have a female love interest who is tres ugly (ie. PDL, anything Canadian).

You think Emily Watson is ugly?!?!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.