Antichrist

Started by MacGuffin, September 26, 2006, 01:55:33 PM

MacGuffin

Lars von Trier Takes on Horror Next
Source: Production Weekly

Director Lars von Trier has announced his next project, which is called Antichrist, reports Production Weekly. He is expected to shoot the horror film next summer.

The English language movie is set in nature and based on the theory that it was Satan, not God, who created the world.

Von Trier has directed such films as Dancer in the Dark, Dogville and Manderlay.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Antichrist' to shoot in Germany
Von Trier secures regional funding for pic
Source: Variety

Lars von Trier will shoot "Antichrist" in Germany this summer after securing Teutonic coin, makring the first time the Danish director will have worked in the country.

"Antichrist" follows a couple who retreat to a cabin in the woods to recover from the death of their child. Script is by von Trier and Anders Thomas Jensen. Von Trier's Zentropa Entertainments and Bettina Brokemper of Zentropa Intl. in Cologne are producing, along with France's Liberator2/Slot Machine and Italy's Lucky Red.

North Rhine-Westphalia's regional subsidy org Filmstiftung NRW is backing the pic to the tune of e900,000 ($1.4 million).

MFA Plus Filmdistribution will release "Antichrist" in Germany; TrustNordisk is handling international sales.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Dafoe, Gainsbourg set for 'Antichrist'
Lars von Trier to direct psychological thriller
Source: Variety

Willem Dafoe will star with Charlotte Gainsbourg in "Antichrist," which will be directed by Lars von Trier.

Anders Thomas Jensen wrote the script with von Trier. In the psychological thriller that evolves into a horror film, Dafoe and Gainsbourg will play a couple who retreat to an isolated cabin in the woods following the death of their child.

Production begins this month in Germany.

Meta Louise Foldager is producing. The picture completed financing its $11 million budget last month.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

This sounds very interesting.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Sounds like even Von Trier believes an auteur's gotta eat. Not a fan of his in the least but it's a little unnerving to see him attached to such a plot driven project. Yes, Breaking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark had plots before their stories, but their synopses announced the films would be outside the norm. I see a classical horror thriller coming out here, but I hope I'm wrong. It's just I imagine he will try to one up Polanski with this story and considering I think Polanski is a legitimate master with horror, that will be hard to do.

Stefen

I don't know if it's really something he's making just to make some bread. Sounds like he was just looking for a change of pace. I'm sure it's not going to be something that's playing in multiplexes all across the country.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

I dunno, he's not taking studio money or helming for another producer.  it seems like he's making it the same way as dogville and others - with his production company and a few smaller european sources.  as GT points out, he's done genre films before, and I don't notice anything suspect aside from the reported logline, which isn't even that ordinary.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pete on August 14, 2008, 01:56:36 AM
I dunno, he's not taking studio money or helming for another producer.  it seems like he's making it the same way as dogville and others - with his production company and a few smaller european sources.  as GT points out, he's done genre films before, and I don't notice anything suspect aside from the reported logline, which isn't even that ordinary.

I considered all of that, but the plot sounded so tired it reminded me of numerous other Hollywood films made in the last 10 years. Even the title Antichrist points out the predictable end the story will head toward. You could call Dancer in the Dark a genre fitting film, but its advertisement of grim death and musical elements promised a very different film. Even Breaking the Waves was advertised as a dogme-esque take on a love story and Dogville was a deconstructionist take on a mob story. Antichrist sounds like it will be pretty straight forward so it sounds distinctly unlike Von Trier, but it could easily be a daring venture. It's just when you go down this alley the best you can usually expect is a half hearted take on Polanski. Even if that subsequent film was good I'd be a little dissapointed.

pete

but look at his last film, a comedy about people going crazy in an office environment.  while not being particularly funny, he still seems quite proud of what he's done with the idea.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

I will watch anything he directs. Glad you mentioned that movie, pete. Glad to see it's on dvd, too.
WWPTAD?

tpfkabi

Quote from: Gamblour. on August 25, 2008, 11:21:43 AM
I will watch anything he directs. Glad you mentioned that movie, pete. Glad to see it's on dvd, too.

i didn't even know he made that film.
did it not do well - even critically?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gamblour.

Quote from: bigideas on August 26, 2008, 08:03:48 AM
Quote from: Gamblour. on August 25, 2008, 11:21:43 AM

i didn't even know he made that film.
did it not do well - even critically?

73 and 71 on Rottentomatoes and Metacritic respectively. I remember reading good reviews. It wasn't about black people wanting to enslave themselves, so it didn't ripple the pond much.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

First Look: Von Trier's "Antichrist"
Source: indiewire

Buzz about the Lars Von Trier's latest, "Antichrist," intensified today with the release of a still image from the new movie. The framegrab from the film, expected to debut this year at the Cannes Film Festival, captures a scene featuring film leads Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg.

Described by Cinematical as the story of "a couple who retreat to a cabin in the woods after losing a child, and run into some 'terrifying occurrences'," the apparent horror film stars Dafoe and Gainsbourg.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

NEON MERCURY