77th Annual Academy Awards - Winners Listed on Page 10

Started by MacGuffin, October 14, 2004, 02:00:15 PM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Sleuth
Quote from: SoNowThenJust to say this out loud:

I pray that Marty doesn't get best director. Because he's much too good to get lumped into this shit-eating Academy Award nonsense. Woody Allen sorta got by on a loophole by not appearing for his, but still... Marty deserves to be in the Kubrick/Welles/Hitchcock/Altman category.

Marty wants it, though

It doesn't even really mean the same thing as it did when Kubrick, Hitch, Welles and Altman got snubbed... if it ever did mean something, so just give it to him already.  I liked The Aviator but I think he's got another Goodfellas/Raging Bull/Last Temptation-quality masterpiece still in him that his quest for Oscar is kind of holding him back from making.

brockly

Quote from: cinephile
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanSame here. The trailer made me sick, and if the movie is really like that, I will continue to have the desire to avoid it like the plague.
your loss, JB.. if you aren't moved by this film, i'd seriously question if you were chemically imbalanced.

what did you think of mystic river?

MacGuffin

Quote from: life_boyThey also need to realize: February release date ≠ best picture nod.  The Passion did get (what I think is) a deserved nomination for score and cinematography, so it wasn't completely forgotten.  But so much of a film's nomination chances depend on its release date.  I doubt Ray would be nominated for Best Picture if it was released in July or August.

That's not so true nowadays. Academy members receive DVD screeners to remind them of films for consideration.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

life_boy

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: life_boyThey also need to realize: February release date ≠ best picture nod.  The Passion did get (what I think is) a deserved nomination for score and cinematography, so it wasn't completely forgotten.  But so much of a film's nomination chances depend on its release date.  I doubt Ray would be nominated for Best Picture if it was released in July or August.

That's not so true nowadays. Academy members receive DVD screeners to remind them of films for consideration.

You wouldn't know it from looking at the list of nominees!  

I know about screeners, but there's still power in the newness of the buzz.  When was the last time an early year release really racked up with Oscar nominations?  Erin Brockovich (2000)?  October is late enough to clinch it for some films.  It may not be science, but it makes sense to me when I look at the facts.

MacGuffin

Quote from: life_boyYou wouldn't know it from looking at the list of nominees!

I know about screeners, but there's still power in the newness of the buzz.  When was the last time an early year release really racked up with Oscar nominations?  Erin Brockovich (2000)?  October is late enough to clinch it for some films.  It may not be science, but it makes sense to me when I look at the facts.

Then look at the fact that studios don't typically release "Oscar" films in the early quarters of the year. It conflicts with the Oscar awards going on currently, and Summer films are not typical Oscar fare, hence Ray not being released in July or August. But if they do, in the case of say an American Beauty (a September release), it's not forgotten come awards season because of press and screeners to remind them. Silence Of The Lambs was not looking for Oscar consideration when it was released in Feb. 1990. That was because that release date of Valentine's played into the novel. I'm not saying that good buzz doesn't help, it does because it's great advertising, adds to the box office and it's fresh in the voters' minds, I'm saying that if a film gets a release early in the year, it won't be forgotten come awards season because the films are availible to Academy members. Do you really think voters went to the handful of theaters playing Vera Drake? Same idea. Studios send out a screener to make their film readily available and to keep their film in mind.

Who knows why Passion/Christ didn't rack up more nominations. It could be they avoided a controversial film. Could be they didn't like it (as Brando said, Hollywood is Jewish). Could be backlash. Could be voters thought Gibson was too good to bother advertising in the trades. But it wasn't because it was forgotten.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i think the only reason it isnt up for more is that gibson refused to campaign.  had he just played the game like everyone else it could be up for a lot more.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02i think the only reason it isnt up for more is that gibson refused to campaign.  had he just played the game like everyone else it could be up for a lot more.

Maybe Gibson had a hard time navigating through his piles of cash and unopened condoms.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

UncleJoey

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: themodernage02i think the only reason it isnt up for more is that gibson refused to campaign.  had he just played the game like everyone else it could be up for a lot more.

Maybe Gibson had a hard time navigating through his piles of cash and unopened condoms.

along with his dad's Nazi banners.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

SHAFTR

Quote from: UncleJoey
Quote from: SHAFTR

along with his dad's Nazi banners.

you win
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Kal

Unfortunatelly up to some point he is the one that won... A lot of power, money, independence from Major Studios... but at least he is not getting an Oscar and I hope he doesnt get one for any of those nominations.

ProgWRX

am i the only one to notice the complete exclusion of Garden State?

:saywhat:
-Carlos

tpfkabi

Quote from: ProgWRXam i the only one to notice the complete exclusion of Garden State?

:saywhat:

what do you feel it could have been nominated for?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

matt35mm

Myxo

Best Original Music!

No.. wait..

Best Score!

Err.. nevermind..

cine