Scariest Movie?

Started by aurora, March 10, 2003, 03:27:40 AM

aurora

Hey all,

What movie scares or HAS scared you the most?

The Japanese version of 'The Ring' freaked me out a bit the other night!

The USA one was kinda scary... but more hollywood scary

They are the only 2 movies that have scared me in like 10 years

The sister with the warped back in 'Pet Cemetary' still freaks me out though!

When I was a kid I was really scared of 'Stephen Kings IT' The clown!!

Anyone know a really scary movie??

children with angels

Don't Look Now. Fucking freaky in a really interesting way.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

©brad

this scares the shit outta me.

seriously though, any movie with clowns, ventriloquists, little dolls or toys that run around with knives killing people really does scare me.

budgie

Blood and gore is never scary, only the psychological affects me. I am too scared to watch Nosferatu and The Haunting (original version) again since seeing them ages ago, though now may be the time because I also felt freaked by 2001 and The Shining when I was 20 and those have lost their power to thrill me now.

xerxes

i really liked the original haunting

Raikus

Being I come from a religious family and I saw this movie when I was eight... The Omen.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

manhattanize

a movie that scared me was definitely "poltergeist" ...
i was so young when i first saw that, that i couldn't sleep with the light off for months...
though now that i'm somehow considered an adult, it doesn't scare me as much, but "the exorcist" does...  :turn-l:
"we are the dreamers of the dreams"-wonka

RegularKarate

The Exorcist and the Shining are tied wth scariest movie for me, though I remember how truly frightened I was after seeing The Changling... just some eerie shit... my brother and I couldn't sleep for a week.

bonanzataz

I haven't gotten REALLY scared by a move since I was about 10 (the Freddy movies did it for me back then). The only movie that still really scares me is the Exorcist.

When I first saw Requiem for a Dream I had rented it and watched it by myself at one in the morning. That was fucking scary, I don't think I slept well that night.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

Both versions of The Ring managed to scare the crap out of me, although I think the American version is better. The Shining is probably the scariest movie I've ever seen, although it only really gets to me now if I see it on the big screen.

Repulsion is pretty damn frightening. More so than Rosemary's Baby, as far as Polanski goes.

I've been meaning to see Don't Look Now for a long time; should I just go ahead and buy it?

children with angels

"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

oakmanc234

'The Ugly'. No one's probably ever heard of it. It's a dark little New Zealand film that is truly relentless and nightmarish. I find independent films alot scarier than flashy Hollywood one's.
I haven't been really scared shitless of a movie since I was a kid. And that movie was 'Child's Play'(though anything with clowns or dolls or monsters is scary when your a kid). Chucky freaked me out then but then he's been my favourite horror character for the past few years.
I consider 'Jaws' to be one of the scariest movies ever (what other film has scared people out of swimming year after year?!).
'Alien' is creepy.
I find the opening of 'Scream' to be truly frightening.
Though it ain't a horror, 'Requiem For A Dream' is really freaky late at night. Really nightmarish (Burstyn walking around her house at night, thinking her fridge is gonna eat her etc). I dont think I could've handled seeing that one in a theatre. I find psychological thrillers more disturbing than 'scary monster chases woman to overzealous music score'.
Hollywood horror movies have been pretty crap lately (I haven't seen 'The Ring'). Seriously, 'Jason X'?, 'Ghosts of Mars'?, 'Halloween:Resurrection'? Are these films supposed to actually scare audiences or what?
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

cowboykurtis

i can safely say that don't look now creeped the hell out of me. its worth a buy. i think lynch has been quoted saying it was one of his favorite films -- if that means anything to you.
...your excuses are your own...

Bud_Clay

I thought "Kwaidan" was pretty damn great for a film about ghost stories. The film uses your imagination intelligently rather than just blasting a few quick frames at you as most horror films do. "Carnival of Souls" is pretty grand, although it's not very frightening, it is creepy in a wonderful way. And I don't care how many people criticise it I still think "The Blair Witch Project" was pretty fucked up in a scary way. A very clever idea indeed. As for "The Ring" it did manage to have very great art direction but I could not believe how many rediculous flaws it had. *Spoilers* Why was Naomi having nose bleeds and coughing up shit after having already made a copy of the tape? Why would the 7 days have any reference to how long the girl survived in the well if she had already been fucking sufficated to death by her mother? All of it very undeveloped and cheaply written.

Pubrick

Quote from: GhostboyRepulsion is pretty damn frightening.
it so is.

and the last film that creeped me out was Carnival of Souls ('62. Herk Harvey).
under the paving stones.