Crowe Moments

Started by Banky, January 19, 2004, 08:16:37 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: BankyRussell Hammond saying what he likes about music, "To begin with, everything"

That was a beautifully acted line, as well.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Banky

or Jerry Maguire when he looked in a fish bowl and said "It was just a mission statment."

©brad

um, hellooooo, what about the part when jerry kisses the little kid and dorothy watches and tears up. then she confides in her sister who tells her "don't cry and the beginning of a date, cry at the end like i do." dorothy's walk down the street w/ the music is also a moment that'll give u that good warm feeling.

modage

how about the part when rod leaves the crowd of reporters after his big moment to find jerry and they hug and cry?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Quote from: themodernage02how about the part when rod leaves the crowd of reporters after his big moment to find jerry and they hug and cry?

i dunno. i think rod cries a bit too much.

modage

hahaha.  okay, well what about his "who's coming with me?" speech when he's leaving the office.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

Quote from: themodernage02how about the part when rod leaves the crowd of reporters after his big moment to find jerry and they hug and cry?

that is one of the only places in cinema where i cry everytime

Wesabeck

Oh god, that scene gets me all the time, too.... probably one of my favorite parts of that movie.  I hope Elizabethtown is filled with all new Crowe moments, could anyone who has read the script confirm that???
Good looking people have no spine.

ProgWRX

Quote from: ©bradum, hellooooo, what about the part when jerry kisses the little kid and dorothy watches and tears up. then she confides in her sister who tells her "don't cry and the beginning of a date, cry at the end like i do." dorothy's walk down the street w/ the music is also a moment that'll give u that good warm feeling.

this is my choice as well...

And i love shots of people regarding another in silent admiration... its just something so human and intimate that is usually lost in films...
(one of the many reasons i love almost famous)
-Carlos

Finn

The elevator sequence in Vanilla Sky seem to really effect a lot of people. It really got to me too but I also really love the very last part when David jumps off the building and has all of the images going through his head with Sigur Ros playing. That was the most beautiful sequence of the whole movie I think. That has to be my favorite Cameron Crowe moment.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

The Perineum Falcon

I love the scene where they flashback to what "really happened" after David's death: the party/tribute, the look on Sophia's face, just priceless. That and the scene between David and Sophia on the rooftop are so bittersweet it hurts.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Banky

"Brian was a true friend"

Finn

The infamous elevator sequence. I also just love the opening in the empty street.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Alethia

i love the moment in almost famous where william tells penny that russell sold her to humble pie for fifty bucks and a case of beer....she begins to cry, then tries to wipe all of her tears away, and smiles through them -- "What kind of beer?"....beautiful

Redlum

The To Kill a Mocking Bird score (and clip), makes the elevator sequence for me.

&

Lloyd Dobblers sold, bought or processed speech.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas