Tom Tykwer's 'Heaven'

Started by Recce, March 06, 2003, 08:52:51 PM

Recce

I realize it's not in theatres anymore, but what did all of you think about 'Heaven'?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Cecil

tom, what have you done? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

Ghostboy

I was torn by the film. I think Twyker did a great job with it...but I keep trying to think of what Kieslowki would have done instead. And since I think its a good film, but not great, do I blame Twyker or the script (the latter which I'm loathe to do, since I love Kieslowki).

Anyway, I think its probably as good as it could be, considering that its one director trying to honor the memory of another. And I'm consistently pleased to see Twyker not trying to rip off his one big success.

Alexandro

This film was so so and just plain booed in most parts, but it was quite a success in latin america...for an art film, anyways...

most people that I know that saw it think is one of the best...I enjoyed it a lot, it's on my topt ten of the year...

maybe it's a cultural thing....

godardian

I loved it. Liked it better than any other Tykwer film I've seen, including Run Lola Run. Will there be a DVD release anytime? I can only hope... (MacGuffin??)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

It's already out and at your local video store!

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianWill there be a DVD release anytime? I can only hope... (MacGuffin??)

Came out last week:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

It figures that at the very moment I stop checking every single day for it, they quietly release it...  :oops: I'm ordering mine even as I write this. That's right, I can type with my feet.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

Hmmmm....I hope the people who pick this up expecting a 'Breathless Thriller' aren't too disappointed...

Duck Sauce

im going to rent it, but i promise I wont like it as much or hate it as much as you snobs[/u]

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianI loved it. Liked it better than any other Tykwer film I've seen, including Run Lola Run.
man u would love a fuckin Pauly Shore movie if he mentioned Cahiers Du Cinema and featured a donkey called Balthazar.

um.. just to make sure u can't hate this post.. TARKOVSKY!
under the paving stones.

Jake_82

Just rented this the other night... I had seen the trailer a long time before, and was not too excited about it, it looked kind of dissapointing, but when I saw the actual movie was great... I wouldn't say it was better than Run Lola Run, but it's up there.
your reality is at the end of your dream