Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02i dont think you have any idea what you are talking about.  do you know how that part reads on the page?  do you know how easy it would be to fuck it up?  do you know how difficult it must be to make that part believable and sympathetic and asskicking?  withOUT coming off completely cheesy?

There is nothing to making this part believable at all. Any trained actor could do so. The basics of most actors is that they can say their lines clearly with confidence (unlike many of us) and also shows signs of sympathy when needing to. Instead of resonating with a character frame of mind, they just turn "cruel", "happy" or "sad" face when needing to. I think Thurman was fine in the movie, but most of what she was doing was that. Scene of her visiting the Samuari swordsman and he not knowing who she is at first. Her face is completely happy and she is making jokes with him. Things happen, she turns to onlooker and then when she reveals her true intentions, she turns serious just like that. I have yet to be convinced this is nothing more than simple operating.

Quote from: themodernage02ahh, now its clear you are insane.  angelina jolie is a one trick pony, who would have been so dull and awful in this part i cant believe you would think that.  she has been, as of late, laughably terrible in most of her films.  dont you think its more interesting to cast AGAINST type?  uma thurman is not who i would think of to be an action heroine out for revenge, but THATS exactly what makes her so interesting!  thats also what makes her a good actress, because she doesnt FIT the part.  but when you watch the movie you believe.  she looks like a beautiful lanky praying mantis and you believe she can kick that much ass.  
thinking about angelina jolie 'acting' in the bar scene almost makes me want to puke.

Well, don't worry, you will not see puke if Jolie was in the film. The movie, like I explained before, does not require acting. And considering the main objective of this movie is to play genre, it actually may be more effective to cast with TYPE dominating each character. Simply, the role requires the Bride to be intimidating and able to ass kick. A little emotion to the side, but what genre film like this doesn't have that? If you say it is more interesting to cast against type, then would it be more interesting to cast further against type and get someone like Julia Roberts to play the role? Or what about Cameron Diaz? You seem also to think that Jolie is likely type of girl to play this role (your argument for Thurman says it) but you also believe she would have been terrible for it. I think she would have been fine, but with your contradiction, how would she have been "dull" and "terrible"? If you say she is type, then I imagine the criticism would be that she was "typical". When it is in my belief the movie hardly goes beyond what is already typical for the genre. Its just with what it has, Jole, in playing the obvious role fitting her, would have been more effective.

SoNowThen

you guys are arguing about acting in KILL BILL, for fucks sake...

it's not supposed to be Bergman. It's not getting to anything deep within the human soul. It's all about crushing a corpse-raper's skull with a door. Either you dig it or you don't...

I do.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

phil marlowe

Quote from: SoNowThenyou guys are arguing about acting in KILL BILL, for fucks sake...

it's not supposed to be Bergman. It's not getting to anything deep within the human soul. It's all about crushing a corpse-raper's skull with a door. Either you dig it or you don't...

I do.
that's right. thurman was a true badass, what more can you ask of?

rustinglass

Quote from: SoNowThenyou guys are arguing about acting in KILL BILL, for fucks sake...

I do.

Yeah! Also... I was getting sick of heroes who want to save the world or humanity. For once I want to enjoy a hero(in) that wants nothing else than to...kill bill.
So simple, thus so beautiful.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

©brad

my head hurts. i'm gonna stop reading threads and just start posting aimlessly w/o any coherent thought or purpose.

bonanzataz

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI liked how Taz was nice in telling everyone to calm down with the fan boy reaction and just reverted back to it himself when he just dismissed that review as being done by an idiot. Idiotic, fine, but how so?

that's my name, don't wear it out.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetCould have more accurately carried out his vision through brainstorming and helping him write it.

She did.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe idea that an actor developed a movie does not entitle them to being the best actor to play the movie's lead at all.

Why not? Explain yourself, you crazy man.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetPersonally, I think Angelina Jolie would have been better. She's already proven her ability at action play with the Tomb Raider films but also, physically, she is much more striking as a Bride out for revenge in the most ass kicking sense.

She's such a statue, and as modernage put it, a one trick pony. I can only imagine Jolie with one facial expression, that threatening sarcasm which would shatter all the sincerity and emotional tensions that should be in this movie (and which Thurman creates). It would be way too much "look at me! I'm hurting people, and I'm a woman!"

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThurman's look and presence, in comparison to Jolie's, feels more middle America in look.

Which works perfectly for the domestic irony, a critical element of the whole thing.

Since you don't at all appreciate the Bride character, I have trouble taking your Jolie suggestion seriously.

coffeebeetle

QuoteThurman's look and presence, in comparison to Jolie's, feels more middle America in look.

Are we splitting hairs here?  I still don't know why or what you're arguing about...you're saying Uma was wrong for the role if I understand you correctly.  And that you'd rather have Jolie play The Bride.  That's all well and good, but so what?  Did Uma fuck the role up?  I don't think she did; there wasn't that much to fuck up, and besides, someone else (was it JB?) said that she had a hand in the creation of her character, so why the fuck wouldn't she play The Bride?  

I think AICN is looking for some movie critics of your caliber.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe idea that an actor developed a movie does not entitle them to being the best actor to play the movie's lead at all.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhy not? Explain yourself, you crazy man.

Its the idea that David Spade had a serious passion for action films and developed his own action film from the ground up. Even though he developed the story and characters, it'd likely be a mistake to put him in the lead of action hero. His job more entitles him to that of director, producer or screenwriter; which many actors are as well.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman[She's such a statue, and as modernage put it, a one trick pony. I can only imagine Jolie with one facial expression, that threatening sarcasm which would shatter all the sincerity and emotional tensions that should be in this movie (and which Thurman creates). It would be way too much "look at me! I'm hurting people, and I'm a woman!"

I don't believe she is just that at all. In Gia, she had to have many ranges and one of the main ones was of innocence lost even when an adult. Through out that film, many times her facial expression and eyes screamed bewilderment from all the mistrust her loved ones brought upon her earlier in her life that drove her to drugs and such. A good many scenes she hits with honesty of capturing that. This was before she became a star and after she did, I think to carry her star role, she started doing many movies only requiring of little things. I recommend her though because the role requires a genre girl and I think Jolie commands more of those requirements which get down to intimidation.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThurman's look and presence, in comparison to Jolie's, feels more middle America in look.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman[Which works perfectly for the domestic irony, a critical element of the whole thing.

But, the main point of the Bride is that she wants that middle America life. That she wants to get rid of her past and get past all her criminal associates and start an average life. Jolie can better represent that outsider trying to get in. Thurman, like I said, already represents middle America in look. The point is that the Bride is coming from a different world and trying to acquire life in suburbia so it would make sense that she looked the part of criminal also.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanSince you don't at all appreciate the Bride character, I have trouble taking your Jolie suggestion seriously.

Well, then. Maybe the question should be for everyone against me is how the character of The Bride represents anything beyond the stick characters of the genre. I think this is all we got and in trying to aim for genre fitting, Jolie is the better for the role.

I do.

I agree. The thing is, I brought in a negative review from a man who really only looked at serious work and said I agreed with him while appreciating the movie as an all out action movie. Considering I was attacked for it, I had to get into arguments saying how I saw the movie as nothing really deep at all. I don't think that is its point at all anyways. I just think people here do. So, discussion.

Coffeebeetle, everything you said is beneath any real comment. Not just with your insulting last sentence, but with attempting to try to argue points that have already been made clear by me or asked by someone else. Read the discussion before taking part in it.

Alethia

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
The thing is, I brought in a negative review from a man who really only looked at serious work and said I agreed with him while appreciating the movie as an all out action movie. Considering I was attacked for it, I had to get into arguments saying how I saw the movie as nothing really deep at all. I don't think that is its point at all anyways. I just think people here do. So, discussion.

just to clarify, i wasnt attacking you, i was attacking kauffman

cine

We could be comparing actors all night who could've been better in parts in past films. The bottom line is this: Uma masterminded the character with Tarantino, Tarantino eventually directed Uma in the role, and she was great with it. I think she deserves some acting license since, you know, this was her character from the start. I don't think there's really much to debate about here.

modage

exactly which is why i pointed out from the start that his saying the bride could've been anybody is silly because ANY PART IN HISTORY could've been played by somebody else, so if she did a good job, why bring it up?  seems irrelevant.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

coffeebeetle

Quote from: CinephileWe could be comparing actors all night who could've been better in parts in past films. The bottom line is this: Uma masterminded the character with Tarantino, Tarantino eventually directed Uma in the role, and she was great with it. I think she deserves some acting license since, you know, this was her character from the start. I don't think there's really much to debate about here.

Agreed.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02exactly which is why i pointed out from the start that his saying the bride could've been anybody is silly because ANY PART IN HISTORY could've been played by somebody else, so if she did a good job, why bring it up?  seems irrelevant.

Quote from: CinephileWe could be comparing actors all night who could've been better in parts in past films. The bottom line is this: Uma masterminded the character with Tarantino, Tarantino eventually directed Uma in the role, and she was great with it. I think she deserves some acting license since, you know, this was her character from the start. I don't think there's really much to debate about here.

I think there is much to debate and I also think that has been proven with the debate on this page. Especially when it is involving JB, my sworn enemy. I know this bothers some because it involves Kill Bill, which is near and dear to them, but aren't these debates one of the good things of this discussion board? And if you don't think there is anything to debate about then I'd disagree and say a topic like the credentials of Angelina Jolie as an actress and her possible worthiness in Kill Bill is surely worthy of any discussion. Like I said before, the flack comes likely because some people like Kill Bill too much and are getting upset over this.

mister mister

One thing I dont get with Kill Bill: why does sophie have that same mobile ring tone 4 years later?