Licorice Pizza - SPOILERS!

Started by wilberfan, November 05, 2021, 08:30:50 PM

wilberfan

Admin edit: This thread has FULL SPOILERS. The other thread has speculation and mild spoilers.

I can't remember the timing on THREAD...since LP "starts" screening tomorrow, when does the **SPOILER** thread go up...?

Lots of Bees

Should we put all screening reactions in here? Or just those that come with plot details

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Lots of Bees on November 05, 2021, 09:50:36 PM
Should we put all screening reactions in here? Or just those that come with plot details

This should be the thread for plot details. Mild spoilers are allowed in the other thread, so general reactions can go there.

Rooty Poots

We should still wrap spoilers in [ spoiler ] tags, right? And warn about any spoilers that are major? Because I'd love to be able to read this thread while still hopefully avoiding the most major of spoilers (such as
Spoiler: ShowHide
the mushrooms
in Phantom Thread).
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Lots of Bees

Quote from: Rooty Poots on November 06, 2021, 01:13:39 AM
We should still wrap spoilers in [ spoiler ] tags, right? And warn about any spoilers that are major? Because I'd love to be able to read this thread while still hopefully avoiding the most major of spoilers (such as
Spoiler: ShowHide
the mushrooms
in Phantom Thread).

Second this

Jeremy Blackman

How about this as a guideline... For now, use spoiler tags for major spoilers. Then, once most of us have seen the movie, all spoilers are fair game, tags or no.

Either way, I'd say if you wish to avoid major spoilers, I wouldn't count on everyone else to have the same definition of "major spoiler" that you do, so consider this thread unsafe for the unsullied.

d

How come some of you (wilberfan?) saw it and have not written a single word here? Come on! Am I really supposed to read first reactions on Twitter and Reddit and not here? Dissapointing.

Lots of Bees

wilberfaaaannnnnnn why you make us sad tell us things

wilberfan

I was just going to keep my head down, but I suppose it would be rude to not say something--even if it's just about my saying nothing

At the risk of running unopposed in the Asshole of the Monthâ„¢ Awards for November, I thought about this a during my 30 drive back to the Valley last night....

For multiple reasons, both personal and philosophical, I've entered a personally-imposed embargo until more of you have experienced LP for yourselves.  (Perhaps I'll articulate said reasons post-embargo--if anyone still gives a shit by then.  :wink: )

Were our positions reversed, I'm sure I would be voting early and often in the aforementioned AotM balloting--but I gotta go with my gut on this--at least for now in this it's-barely-been-even-12-hours-since-I-saw-it, post-screening reverie.

It's currently my intention to re-watch again, probably once-a-week, thru the end of this month.

Will I say anything after revisits?   Not sure yet.  Gotta play this one by ear, and proceed with an abundance of caution.  But in this moment it feels like the right thing to do.

Shughes

wilberfan

Thank you, brother, for the support.  I appreciate it.  Not an easy decision...

Rooty Poots

The thing I'm probably most curious is: does the name make sense by the end? I know Licorice Pizza is the name of an old chain of record stores, but does the record store play a part in the story? Does the name make sense for a story about young love (with two characters who, as far as I can tell, don't work at a record store or anything)?

You don't have to answer this, wilberfan, it's just the question I'm most curious about right now.

The John Hughes-ness of it all honestly sounds right up my alley!
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Yes

Soggy Bottom is the name of a waterbed company in film

Alethia

Lots of Bees

Can anyone tell us some songs in the movie/how they are used? Closer to how needle drops are used in something like Boogie Nights or Inherent Vice? (or something else, but those seem kinda opposite end of the spectrum, 70s needle-drop wise).