Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

HACKANUT and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Montclair on December 29, 2021, 05:16:47 PM
I disagree, I think another TWBB, The Master style epic is what's next. I mean, Phantom Thread was a period piece costume drama with sweeping orchestral music starring Daniel Day Lewis, doesn't get more IMPORTANT than that. It was like the weirdest/best Merchant Ivory movie that they never made. Punch Drunk Love was a light workout in between the heavy lifting of Magnolia and TWBB. Licorice Pizza was a light workout in between the heavy lifting of Phantom Thread and what's next(the challenging project he abandoned when he decided to quickly do LP instead).

To be fair he said he was having trouble writing a script but didnt give any clue with what that project ,if it does get made, will be.

Would be interesting if he does a huge in scope film but we will just have to wait really.

Montclair

Quote from: pynchonikon on December 29, 2021, 05:27:43 PM
If you think that TWBB was actually his last film that partly explored the father-son dynamic, a plot device that seemed to really interest him and defined his work in the first phase of his career, you might indeed be into something, RudyBlatnoyd.

Are you serious?? It was clearly explored in The Master, as well.

Montclair

Quote from: Drenk on December 29, 2021, 05:22:21 PM
I wouldn't describe both TWBB and The Master as "epic" pictures. Yes, they burned a fake oil rig for TWBB, but it is mostly a very quiet movie in a no man's land.

"Epic" doesn't only mean on the scale of Lawrence of Arabia and nothing less. These were not "no man's land" movies, they had a lot of production value.

Montclair

Quote from: PaulElroy35 on December 29, 2021, 07:12:51 PM
I disagree, I think another TWBB, The Master style epic is what's next. I mean, Phantom Thread was a period piece costume drama with sweeping orchestral music starring Daniel Day Lewis, doesn't get more IMPORTANT than that. It was like the weirdest/best Merchant Ivory movie that they never made. Punch Drunk Love was a light workout in between the heavy lifting of Magnolia and TWBB. Licorice Pizza was a light workout in between the heavy lifting of Phantom Thread and what's next(the challenging project he abandoned when he decided to quickly do LP instead).

To be fair he said he was having trouble writing a script but didnt give any clue with what that project ,if it does get made, will be.

Would be interesting if he does a huge in scope film but we will just have to wait really.

In the interview he said, ""I had planned on making another film that I'd been writing for a while ... because I had been struggling with this other piece."

So, he clearly was trying to make this after Phantom Thread and was writing for a while, but struggling. Why would he not come back to it? Especially after declaring Denzel as being "the great white whale" that he wants to work with in the Variety article and Denzel on video saying, "I've talked to the directors that I wanna work with, I spent a wonderful day with Paul Thomas Anderson and his family." I'm pretty sure if Paul's trying to work with Denzel it's not gonna be in something on a small scale, it would be another "Great Man" movie.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Montclair on December 29, 2021, 08:14:02 PM
Quote from: PaulElroy35 on December 29, 2021, 07:12:51 PM

In the interview he said, ""I had planned on making another film that I'd been writing for a while ... because I had been struggling with this other piece."

So, he clearly was trying to make this after Phantom Thread and was writing for a while, but struggling. Why would he not come back to it? Especially after declaring Denzel as being "the great white whale" that he wants to work with in the Variety article and Denzel on video saying, "I've talked to the directors that I wanna work with, I spent a wonderful day with Paul Thomas Anderson and his family." I'm pretty sure if Paul's trying to work with Denzel it's not gonna be in something on a small scale, it would be another "Great Man" movie.

Sure no doubt he will try and go back to that project im just saying theres nothing saying its a film with denzel and just because he was struggling with the script doesnt mean its on the scale of blood or the master is all.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Montclair on December 29, 2021, 08:01:10 PM
If you think that TWBB was actually his last film that partly explored the father-son dynamic, a plot device that seemed to really interest him and defined his work in the first phase of his career, you might indeed be into something, RudyBlatnoyd.

How? Between Dodd and his son? Because him and Freddie is certainly not a father-son dynamic.
And please dont ask me if I'm serious with two question marks ever again. One is enough.

ono

Jeremy Blackman

Hard Sydney: Epic dice rolls by the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman, epic vibraphones — Epic film ✅

Boogie Nights: Epic scope (the 70s and 80s), epic scale (of you know what), and epic dance moves — Epic film ✅

Mag: Epic father/son dynamic between Dixon and The Worm, alludes to biblical epics of yore, otherwise nothing epic about it — Minor film 🛑

PDL: Epic visuals, epic levels of anxiety, epic harmonium performances  — Epic film ✅

Chere Mill: Epic ego of the protagonist (am I correct?), landscapes are large but not quite epic-scaled, and the scope of time is fairly limited — Minor film 🛑

The Master: A war film that deals with the trauma of what the protagonist experienced; epic in both moral and war-movie terms — Epic film ✅

Inherent Vice: The plot is an epic mystery rarely seen outside of Mission Impossible films, and an epic amount of cannabis is consumed — Epic film ✅

Phantom Thread: There is one view of an epic landscape, otherwise takes place in one room trying on clothes — Minor film 🛑

Robyn

md

Quote from: pynchonikon on December 30, 2021, 12:20:28 AM

And please dont ask me if I'm serious with two question marks ever again. One is enough.

This is one of the hardest, dorkiest retorts I've seen in a while.   :yabbse-grin:
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Montclair

Quote from: pynchonikon on December 30, 2021, 12:20:28 AM
Quote from: Montclair on December 29, 2021, 08:01:10 PM

How? Between Dodd and his son? Because him and Freddie is certainly not a father-son dynamic.

The father son dynamic between Dodd and Freddie is in tradition with Sydney, Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood. PTA's movies during that time period were about psuedo father son relationships and loners wandering off and making up an adoptive family. How can you talk about his work with such authority and not see this???

Montclair

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 30, 2021, 01:25:24 AM
Hard Sydney: Epic dice rolls by the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman, epic vibraphones — Epic film ✅

Boogie Nights: Epic scope (the 70s and 80s), epic scale (of you know what), and epic dance moves — Epic film ✅

Mag: Epic father/son dynamic between Dixon and The Worm, alludes to biblical epics of yore, otherwise nothing epic about it — Minor film 🛑

PDL: Epic visuals, epic levels of anxiety, epic harmonium performances  — Epic film ✅

Chere Mill: Epic ego of the protagonist (am I correct?), landscapes are large but not quite epic-scaled, and the scope of time is fairly limited — Minor film 🛑

The Master: A war film that deals with the trauma of what the protagonist experienced; epic in both moral and war-movie terms — Epic film ✅

Inherent Vice: The plot is an epic mystery rarely seen outside of Mission Impossible films, and an epic amount of cannabis is consumed — Epic film ✅

Phantom Thread: There is one view of an epic landscape, otherwise takes place in one room trying on clothes — Minor film 🛑

You forgot The Dirk Diggler Story. But, if we can be serious for a brief moment, I'd say it's pretty obvious that all signs are pointing towards his next film being in the style of TWBB and The Master with a runtime of at least 2h30min. I can't imagine any PTA fans who wouldn't welcome that as a return to form, especially after Licorice Pizza. Here's hoping he does the right thing and really takes on a project that scares him again and challenges him to go out of his depth and branch out, evolve his style even more and finally, make another masterpiece with something important to say.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Montclair on December 31, 2021, 09:27:30 PM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 30, 2021, 01:25:24 AM

You forgot The Dirk Diggler Story. But, if we can be serious for a brief moment, I'd say it's pretty obvious that all signs are pointing towards his next film being in the style of TWBB and The Master with a runtime of at least 2h30min. I can't imagine any PTA fans who wouldn't welcome that as a return to form, especially after Licorice Pizza. Here's hoping he does the right thing and really takes on a project that scares him again and challenges him to go out of his depth and branch out, evolve his style even more and finally, make another masterpiece with something important to say.

I love your posts they are even more funny then a good asian racist scene.

polkablues

If you don't think his next film will be an 80-minute musical Western starring DJ Qualls as a disgraced pharmacist who introduces the game of cricket to Wyoming, you're a fake fan, end of story.

I will not be taking any further questions at this time.
My house, my rules, my coffee