Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

That's probably the most revealing interview from Criterion I've ever heard, but I am baffled about something...

Quote from: modage on August 25, 2009, 03:09:10 PM
But that's not all...Mulvaney did talk to us about several exciting titles that as of press time we are unable to disclose as of press time as discussions for these films are ongoing and not quite finalized.

Ok, then why say this?

Quote from: modage on August 25, 2009, 03:09:10 PM
Charlie Chaplin – Mulvaney has confirmed the circulating rumors that the Criterion Collection is in discussions to acquire the rights to the Charlie Chaplin library. There are no details on titles or release dates at this time.

I guess it doesn't matter, but a lot of good news to go around. Only a few disappointers, with one being no Warners titles on the near forecast. It seems like we're going to have to wait a while for many good titles from them. Also sad is no confirmation of La  Notte which was originally confirmed to be released this year, but only has one more month left to be announced so it seems unlikely.

The good news is IFC working with Criterion on a 12 picture deal. It seems to be unfolding faster than other deals and is bringing out about some interesting titles. Then there is Ang Lee's Ride the Devil. If that gets a director's cut, it will be very interesting to revisit the film. Sometimes I think it was too overlooked anyways. The Akira Kurosawa box set sounds amazely insane, but I wonder about the titles included and how they will stack up compared to the ones already released.

Jefferson

he's still got some good ones they haven't put out yet. i would love love love to see a criterion edition of dersu. also the quiet duel and (please have a commentary track) madadayo. i've wanted to see men who tread on tigers tail for a long time so including that would also make me happy.

as far as other stuff goes im pretty bummed to see no mention of bergman or tarkovsky. the magician/summer with monika and stalker/mirror would make me the happiest man alive. i'll cross my fingers that their names are in the leftover announcements.

john

I was certain we'd hear progression on SubUrbia.

I'm really looking forward to it.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Gold Trumpet

I hope to get Netflix again soon because I heard this film is pretty amazing, but a $40 special edition of a brand new film nobody knows is asking a lot.

JG

its an awesome movie, glad to see that its getting the treatment.

MacGuffin

IFC, Criterion pact for homevideo
Several bells and whistles for IFC pics
Source: Variety

Several titles from the IFC Films library will be getting the full bells-and-whistles treatment on Blu-ray and DVD, thanks to a deal between IFC and top-shelf homevid distrib the Criterion Collection.

The first two -- Arnaud Desplechin's French family drama "A Christmas Tale" and Matteo Garrone's Naples-set gangster ensemble "Gomorrah" -- had appeared on the Criterion site as November releases, but IFC confirmed Tuesday a larger partnership between the two companies.

In recent years, IFC has bowed films on-demand the same day they premiered in theaters, with DVDs available exclusively through Blockbuster, leaving no sell-through opportunity.

Earlier this summer, the company announced a partnership with MPI Media Group to release genre titles such as "Sauna" and "Fear(s) of the Dark" in bare-bones editions, while reserving the right to cherry-pick its more acclaimed titles for the full "collector's edition" treatment with Criterion.

Criterion, which specializes in extras-rich special editions of classic and contemporary films, has released pics by directors including Wes Anderson, Steven Soderbergh and Michael Bay.

In December, Criterion will put out Soderbergh's two-part biopic "Che," followed by 2010 releases of pics from Sweden (Jan Troell's "Everlasting Moments"), France (Olivier Assayas' "Summer Hours," Abdellatif Kechiche's "The Secret of the Grain"), the U.K. (Steve McQueen's "Hunger") and Japan (Hirokazu Kore-Eda's "Still Walking").

IFC will decide on a case-by-case basis which films are best suited to go either the Criterion or MPI route, though Lisa Schwartz, exec veep of sales and business development, acknowledged that the promise of a Criterion homevid release could sweeten future distribution deals.

"The Criterion name provides a tremendous amount of credibility and prestige, and knowing IFC has a working relationship with Criterion could give us an edge in negotiations," she said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 01, 2009, 10:30:48 PM
Jan Troell's "Everlasting Moments"

I just jumped out of my seat when I saw this title. If the release is a success at all, maybe that will be a motivator for Criterion to release some of his older classics. Amazing news, nonetheless.

modage

Criterion & IFC Confirm More Titles - 'Che' Coming In Dec; Plus 'Summer Hours,' 'Hunger,' 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' & Nolan's 'Following' Coming In 2010

First reported by us a week ago as part of our exclusive interview with Criterion, new details have emerged about IFC's relationship with the boutique DVD company. It appears IFC's rental exclusivity deal with Blockbuster is over (thank christ!) and they will be using both MPI and Criterion to help distribute their films. According to Variety, IFC will determine which films will head to MPI and which will go to Criterion, though Lisa Schwartz, IFC's executive VP of Sales and Business Development does at admit that having Criterion in their pocket will sweeten the pot when discussing potential distribution deals.

So what are the titles? As we noted, the screening of Steve McQueen's "Hunger" by Criterion at ATP was no coincidence and we're very pleased that Oliver Assayas' "Summer Hours," a film we loved, will be joining the collection. The previously hinted release of Steven Soderbergh's "Che" will be released in December (though it was originally pegged for the fall; beggars can't be choosers, we're excited).

Also getting the prestigious "C" on its DVD cover are Jan Troell's 2008 Golden Globe nominee "Everlasting Moments," Hirokazu Kore-Eda's stellar "Still Walking," (one of 2008's best, maybe now you'll finally listen with Criterion validation) Abdellatif Kechiche's Cesar Award winner "The Secret Of The Grain" (another total gem) Alfonso Cuaron's breakout film "Y Tu Mama Tambien," and Christopher Nolan's debut, "Following." As Mulvaney confirmed to us, Criterion already has twelve films locked up with IFC, and with this announcement that leaves three more to be revealed. That said, it certainly appears the releases won't stop there. While we were told "Antichrist" is probably not coming, we're still hoping it will be part of the next batch of titles to be licensed.

For those worried that Criterion is spending too much time focusing on contemporary films, this will not be good news, but it's hard to argue with the logic behind their decision. As Peter Becker notes, "IFC Films has been on an incredible roll, hunting down daring international films and spotting film-makers whose work will stand the test of time. Criterion has always presented a mix of international classics and director-approved editions of important contemporary films, so this new slate of releases fits our mission perfectly." In short, Criterion has further solidified their label as a home for foreign and important contemporary films, and in a marketplace where studios and independents are struggling to find places for niche films, this is fantastic news for film fans.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Quote from: modage on September 02, 2009, 08:01:52 AM
IFC will determine which films will head to MPI and which will go to Criterion, though Lisa Schwartz, IFC's executive VP of Sales and Business Development does at admit that having Criterion in their pocket will sweeten the pot when discussing potential distribution deals.

This is one of the first things that came to my mind about the deal.

I worry slightly that this deal might make Criterion a bit more lax about the quality of choices.  IFC may simply send them what was critically acclaimed this year but that may well be forgotten 5 or 10 years from now.  That said, it's also a great way to have access to some otherwise difficult to find films, or maybe even give something a shot just because it's a Criterion.

I think they could have done better than Following, though.  It's okay.  I liked Antichrist but I don't think it's appropriate for Criterion (and I can't think of how it would benefit from the Criterion treatment over a regular release).  Hunger is a great choice though, and perfect for Criterion, in a similar vein that George Washington and Ratcatcher were; these films benefit from the extra care and the wealth of features.  Something like Following or Y Tu Mama Tambien will maybe just get a new commentary track and some new interviews to distinguish them from the already-existing releases.  Hunger, George Washington, and Ratcatcher also fit more with Criterion's proclamation of releasing "important contemporary films."  I don't know what's so important about Following.

I am excited to see the films that I haven't heard of, though (Summer Hours, Everlasting Moments, Still Walking, and The Secret of the Grain).

MacGuffin

Our friends over at Criterion have just announced that they're going to be releasing AK 100: 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa on DVD on 12/8 (SRP $399, but it's available for pre-order on Amazon for just $299). This extraordinary set will come enclosed in a linen-bound box and will include an illustrated companion book. Released on the 100th anniversary of the legendary Japanese director's birth, the set will include 25 of his films on 25 DVDs - the most complete such set ever released in the U.S. - 4 of which have never been available on the DVD format in this country. Included will be:

The Bad Sleep Well (1960), Dodes'ka-den (1970), Drunken Angel (1948), The Hidden Fortress (1958), High and Low (1963), I Live in Fear (1955), The Idiot (1951), Ikiru (1952), Kagemusha (1980), The Lower Depths (1957), Madadayo (1993), The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail (1945 - new to DVD), The Most Beautiful (1944 - new to DVD), No Regrets for Our Youth (1946), One Wonderful Sunday (1947), Rashomon (1951), Red Beard (1965), Sanjuro (1962), Sanshiro Sugata (1943 - new to DVD), Sanshiro Sugata, Part II (1944 - new to DVD), Scandal (1950), Seven Samurai (1954), Stray Dog (1949), Throne of Blood (1957) and Yojimbo (1961)

Each of these films is presented with a restored digital transfer, with audio in the original Japanese and English subtitles. The companion book features an introduction and notes on each of the films by Stephen Prince (The Warrior's Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa) and a remembrance by Donald Richie (The Films of Akira Kurosawa).

Also today, Criterion has revealed that they'll release The Rolling Stones: Gimmie Shelter on Blu-ray Disc on 12/1 (Cat# 99 - SRP $39.95), featuring a new high-definition digital transfer of the uncensored thirtieth-anniversary version, remastered and restored from the camera original, exclusive Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround-sound mixes, audio commentary featuring directors Albert Maysles and Charlotte Zwerin and collaborator Stanley Goldstein, additional performances by the Rolling Stones at Madison Square Garden in 1969 (including Little Queenie, Oh Carol and Prodigal Son, plus backstage outtakes), excerpts from KSAN Radio's Altamont wrap-up (recorded December 7, 1969, with introductions by then DJ Stefan Ponek), an Altamont stills gallery (featuring the work of renowned photographers Bill Owens and Beth Sunflower), original and re-release theatrical trailers and a booklet with essays (by Mick Jagger's former assistant Georgia Bergman, music writers Michael Lydon and Stanley Booth, and film critics Amy Taubin and Godfrey Cheshire).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Damn. Sweet. I wonder what the box will look like. I might have to pre-order at $299.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I wish they did a similar box set for Michelangelo Antonioni. He didn't make as many films as Kurosawa, but if you include all of his documentaries and shorter works, you could get a pretty decent set. Plus, unlike Kurosawa, there is still a good percentage of his work that isn't available at all in the United States.

tpfkabi

re:AK100 They don't include all the bonus material on previous editions?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

There's a lot of cool made-up covers in this thread.

http://www.theauteurs.com/topics/2132/comments?page=1

Some faves.

(no commentary track)

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

ugh, you dick. i thought there was news in here!