QUEER CINEMA

Started by modage, June 02, 2003, 05:33:46 PM

Just Withnail

Quote from: ThrindleI don't know if this has been said, but: I am REALLY looking forward to watching a movie featuring a gay romance.  I am straight... but there is always something so fantastically unrequited about homosexual affairs.  Think about it, this movie will have the ultimate love story formula to it.  Given the circumstances and time period, their love will probably remain uncomsummated, in the sense that they'll never be together.  I guess I'm F*cked becasue I enjoy painful emotions, almost as much as I do pleasurable ones.  I look forward to bawling my face off to this one.  And if this movie is done right, maybe it will transcend the giggle factor it is sure to induce.

Thank you for saying all of that, because I never found the time to write it anywhere myself, but I feel exactly the same way. I'm in the midst of writing something similar to this.

godardian

From IMDB (the bit about Watts doesn't surprise me a bit- clearly, she's open-minded on the sexuality front). I do hope this will be a "real" movie and not just some eye-candy sort of deal... I think we're in safe hands with Ang Lee, though.

P.S. I doubly second Happy Together, both for the (very) human gayness and the painful emotions.

"Hollywood heart-throb Heath Ledger is finding his latest role as a gay cowboy to be his most challenging - because he's been ordered to work out for the part. The Australian star has appeared in a number of physically demanding roles - but has been told to work on his physique for the first time in his career for the upcoming Brokeback Mountain. The 24-year-old says, "Oddly enough, it's the one job that I've been asked to build on and kind of work out. You'd think you would kind of build up and work out to play a superhero or something, but it ends up being for a gay cowboy story." A Knights Tale star Ledger was encouraged to take the role opposite Jake Gyllenhaal in the Ang Lee movie by girlfriend Naomi Watts."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Henry Hill

cool cast. ill see it. it will be something different at least.

MacGuffin

Hathaway & Quaid Climb Brokeback Mountain
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Anne Hathaway and Randy Quaid are joining Ang Lee's gay cowboy love story Brokeback Mountain, starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, says The Hollywood Reporter. Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana wrote the script.

Based on a short story by E. Annie Proulx (The Shipping News), the Focus Features film centers on two men (Ledger and Gyllenhaal) who meet one summer as sheepherders in Wyoming and form a bond and love that spans 20 years.

Hathaway plays the strong-willed ex-rodeo queen wife of Gyllenhaal's character, while Quaid will play the hard-bitten foreman who employs the two cowboys. Michelle Williams has already been cast as the wife of Ledger's character.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Anne Hathaway is one of my fave actresses. She has been stuck in crap for so long. Hopefully this and the upcoming havoc will prove right.......most likely wrong though. Whatever I stick by it. Also, shes hot.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

bonanzataz

Jake: Say Tom, do you have any pudding left?
Heath: I ate all mine up, silly.
Jake: Well, then, now what do we do? Why don't we just explore our sexuality?
Heath: Oh, good idea... let's.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

"Independent movies are always about gay cowboys eating pudding!"
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: someoneFocus Features
That's enough for me to see it.

godardian

Quote from: llewkcoR tsehC
Quote from: someoneFocus Features
That's enough for me to see it.

Yes, they're definitely the best "boutique" indie distributor. Almost all their films are worthwhile. They also have a good history with the gays, what with Far from Heaven and Ozon's films...

Ghostboy

Is Ozon gay?

So much for my prognosis on 'Swimming Pool'.....

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyIs Ozon gay?

So much for my prognosis on 'Swimming Pool'.....

Yes, he is, although his only literally "gay" (in content) film that I know of is Water Drops on Burning Rocks and, if you consider the ripe Sirkian elements of 8 Women to be any sort of "gay sensibility"...

On Swimming Pool: Don't you think gay or women directors tend to be more empathetic with and interested in female sexuality in a genuine way, though, as opposed to many (the majority of?) "typical" straight male filmmakers?

ono

Saw Lost and Delirious a couple days ago.  Directed by Lea Pool, who may be familiar to some because she has another film on Criterion.  Good flick, but nothing transcendental.  Though for some, the ending might appear that way.  It stars Piper Perabo and a couple other familiar faces whose names I forget.  The story is told oddly as the main character isn't really given that much to do except talk to the gardener and play shoulder for her roommate, Paulie, who gets her heart broken by the other roommate, Tori, because of her fear of losing the favor of her conservative parents.

The dialogue in some places is bad, but maybe that's intentional, as these are sixteen-year-old girls we're talking about.  Still, everytime I heard them mention "rage more" I cringe.  I really admire, have a soft spot for, these types of stories.  I don't know what it is.  Perhaps it is that the film is able to somehow capture what it feels like to be young, to have the world at your feet, and see nothing but possibility.  Those movies are some of the best, but this one, at least, keeps it real and grounded in reality.  This may be a downer for some, but incredibly apt for other people.

godardian

Quote from: OnomatopaellaSaw Lost and Delirious a couple days ago.  Directed by Lea Pool, who may be familiar to some because she has another film on Criterion.  Good flick, but nothing transcendental.  Though for some, the ending might appear that way.  It stars Piper Perabo and a couple other familiar faces whose names I forget.  The story is told oddly as the main character isn't really given that much to do except talk to the gardener and play shoulder for her roommate, Paulie, who gets her heart broken by the other roommate, Tori, because of her fear of losing the favor of her conservative parents.

The dialogue in some places is bad, but maybe that's intentional, as these are sixteen-year-old girls we're talking about.  Still, everytime I heard them mention "rage more" I cringe.  I really admire, have a soft spot for, these types of stories.  I don't know what it is.  Perhaps it is that the film is able to somehow capture what it feels like to be young, to have the world at your feet, and see nothing but possibility.  Those movies are some of the best, but this one, at least, keeps it real and grounded in reality.  This may be a downer for some, but incredibly apt for other people.

I remember not liking this movie too much... I'd seen Pool's Set Me Free and LOVED it. I felt that more than some of the dialogue was pretty awful... Pool is not an English-language director, and I think it showed.

When is the Pool movie coming out on Criterion, and please tell me it's Set Me Free!!

ono

My mistake.  I misread the Criterion thread and thought the Pool film was under the coming soon column, but it appears it's under the not likely column.  Sorry to get your hopes up.

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=174&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lea+pool&start=180

Of course, that was from September.  I don't know if anything's changed since then.

Thrindle

Does anyone watch "Queer as Folk"?  And if you do... do you know if the character of Brian is actually gay or not?

I ask because I am letting my shallow side peek through and I'll just admit it, he's bloody gorgeous.

(By the way I know this isn't cinema talk...  but I didn't want to start an entire new thread that will be replied to once.)
Classic.