best of this decade (so far)

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 17, 2004, 11:40:04 PM

hedwig

Quote from: Lucid on July 12, 2006, 11:16:21 PM
The whole list making enterprise is really difficult for me, and I'm still internally debating my inclusion of "The New World."  For now it stays.
there's only one picture on your list worth your internal debating and it's certainly NOT The New World.

matt35mm

pete

I know the talented northern hemisphere thing was a joke, but I do feel bad for missing all the south american and african film festivals, 'cause I hear a lot of about those films and I never watch them.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

NEON MERCURY

MULHOLLAND DR.
MUNICH
THE NEW WORLD
TALK TO HER
AMORES PERROS
THE CONSTANT GARDENER
DEMONlover
AMERICAN BEAUTY
IN THE BEDROOM
REQUIEM FOR A DREAM

Fernando

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Fernando on July 13, 2006, 12:11:14 PM
Quote from: pyramid machine on July 13, 2006, 11:48:33 AM
AMERICAN BEAUTY

That's from the 90's.

Quote from: pyramid machine on July 13, 2006, 11:48:33 AM
MULHOLLAND DR.
MUNICH
THE NEW WORLD
TALK TO HER
AMORES PERROS
THE CONSTANT GARDENER
DEMONlover
AMERICAN BEAUTY  SOLARIS     :yabbse-grin:
IN THE BEDROOM
REQUIEM FOR A DREAM

Champion Souza

Eternal Sunshine
The Royal Tenenbaums
Lost in Translation
Adaptation
Sideways
Amelie
The Life Aquatic
Punch Drunk Love
American Splendor
Almost Famous

My favorite animated films so far (top five)...

Spirited Away
The Incredibles
Les Triplettes de Bellville
Monsters Inc
Wallace & Gromit: CotWR

I didn't separate the live action and animated films because the academy does.  It just made it easy for me to pick my top ten.

Chest Rockwell

No particular order:

Mulholland Dr
Lost in Translation
The Royal Tenenbaums
Match Point
Amelie
Traffic Solaris
A History of Violence
City of God
Talk to Her
The New World
*In the Mood For Love

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

10 - Irreversible
9 - Brokeback Mountain
8 - Brick
7 - Adaptation
6 - Me and You and Everyone We Know
5 - The Royal Tenenbaums
4 - Amelie
3 - In The Mood For Love
2 - Mulholland Drive
1 - Brown Bunny
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Astrostic

1. Mulholland Dr.
2. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
3. Cache
4. Punch-Drunk Love
5. A History of Violence
6. Tropical Malady
7. Proposition
8. Requiem for a dream
9. The New world
10. Dancer in the Dark

children with angels

I haven't done this yet, so here it goes. I thought I'd include some reasons so it's not just a list. 10 in no order:
Before Sunset (2004, Richard Linklater) – Because it (particularly in relation to Sunrise) is probably the greatest meditation on love I have seen in cinema, conceived and executed literally perfectly.

Apocalypse Now Redux (2002, Francis Ford Coppola) – Because it made one of the greatest films of the 70s even greater, making it truly into the operatic experience so many thought the original already was. One of the first times a cinematic masterpiece has ever been improved upon by tampering.

Dogville (2003, Lars Von Trier) – Because it is the best balance of intellectual experiment, emotional sledgehammer and satire that Von Trier has yet delivered. It's also a very important film for the relationship between stage and screen.

Gerry (2002, Gus Van Sant) – Because it explores some expressive, hypnotic, unnerving possibilities specific to cinema better than any other film this decade so far.

Brokeback Mountain (2005, Ang Lee) – Because it is the triumphant, moving, righteous return of the long-overlooked genre of romantic melodrama to Hollywood.

Local Angel (2002, Udi Aloni) – Because it is a profound visual essay on one of the most difficult political and philosophical issues of our time: the Israel/Palestine conflict. Also one of the most formally interesting documentaries I've seen.

Amelie (2001, Jean-Pierre Jeunet) – Because it entirely successfully expresses pure joy as well as the best classic Hollywood musicals, and we still need films that do this.

The New World (2005, Terrence Malick) – Because this master finally found the perfect subject for his vision and created his most affecting and complex work yet.

Far From Heaven (2002, Todd Haynes) – Because it is the most intriguing, moving and satisfying experiment in the important process of appropriation our postmodern filmmakers have yet engaged in. Also, as with Brokeback, a great melodrama for an age that has forgotten it needs melodrama.

Goodbye Lenin! (2003, Wolfgang Becker) – Because it marks the coming of age of a particular type of crowd-pleasing European movie. Going beyond superficial nationalistic referencing and bland plot, its screwball story is inspired, its handling funny and moving, and – the big surprise – its politics are actually engaged and pretty intelligent. 

This was an attempt to balance a "favourite" list with a "best" list: if it was purely favourites it would have probably included many others like American Psycho, Eternal Sunshine, Huckabees, Hedwig, PDL, Moulin and Mulholland but I thought they all contain a number of clear-ish flaws and so probably shouldn't make the final cut.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

squints

Quote from: Walrus on September 18, 2006, 04:54:11 PM
10 - Irreversible
9 - Brokeback Mountain
8 - Brick
7 - Adaptation
6 - Me and You and Everyone We Know
5 - The Royal Tenenbaums
4 - Amelie
3 - In The Mood For Love
2 - Mulholland Drive
1 - Brown Bunny

This is the best looking list i've read so far (Irreversible is fantastic) i've yet to see the brown bunny however
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

when you do, you'll see its the worst looking list you've read so far.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: SiliasRuby on November 18, 2004, 12:49:31 AM
1. Punch Drunk Love
2. Mulholland Drive
3. Royal Tenenbaums, The
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
5. Almost Famous
6. The New World
7. Brick
8. Irreversible
9. Traffic
10. Dogville
Updated....Honorable Mentions: City Of God, Match Point, The Brown Bunny and Requiem For A Dream
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

©brad

Quote from: squints on September 20, 2006, 01:35:44 PM
This is the best looking list i've read so far (Irreversible is fantastic) i've yet to see the brown bunny however

Quote from: SiliasRuby on September 20, 2006, 09:00:30 PMUpdated....Honorable Mentions: City Of God, Match Point, The Brown Bunny and Requiem For A Dream

:bravo: