Jon Stewart or Bill Maher

Started by classical gas, November 06, 2003, 02:57:16 PM

Alethia

Sleuth

A correspondant on The Daily Show
I like to hug dogs

Alethia

ah i see.  i dont think ive ever watched a full episode.  i should tho.  i laugh at the bits and pieces i see.  jon stewart = funny.

Raikus

Tasteless gags
Maher a Hillary tribute

Bill Maher has made another stab at career suicide.

The Bush-bashing comic stunned some of Hollywood's most powerful liberals by joking about Bill Clinton's sexual indiscretions at a benefit honoring Sen. Hillary Clinton.

New York's junior Senator was accepting an Oceana Partners award in Los Angeles last Wednesday for her work on environmental issues. Maher emceed the event, which also honored marine explorer Jean-Michel Cousteau, as well as Ron Howard and his Imagine partner, Brian Glazer.

Among the unamused in the audience were Oceana board member Ted Danson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kiefer Sutherland, Diane Lane, Josh Brolin, Jake Gyllenhaal and Kirsten Dunst, Norman Lear and Jeffrey Katzenberg.

"Maher began bringing up 'Bill Clinton's [bleep] jobs' - with Hillary sitting right there in front of him eating her chicken," says a witness. "It was just cruel. Ted Danson's wife, Mary Steenburgen, is a longtime friend of the senator's. I can't believe they approved of this."

The former President, although not there, was listed as a co-chairman of the event, which raised $600,000.

Maher also took a shot at Cousteau - sniping: "That must feel great, getting a one-quarter standing ovation." Cousteau walked out of the building shortly afterward.

ABC canceled Maher's show. "Politically Incorrect" after controversial remarks about the 9/11 terrorists. He now has a show on HBO.

Reps for Danson and Clinton had no comment.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

godardian

After seeing Jon Stewart challenge Tom Daschle last week over supporting DOMA, I feel affirmed in my preference for him over Maher. His common-sense opinion blew Daschle's politically motivated (and in a way understandable) convolutions right out of the water.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

Quote from: godardianAfter seeing Jon Stewart challenge Tom Daschle last week over supporting DOMA, I feel affirmed in my preference for him over Maher. His common-sense opinion blew Daschle's politically motivated (and in a way understandable) convolutions right out of the water.

I saw that... Daschle was such a fucking pussy about it too.

ono

I just saw an episode of Real Time with Bill Maher (had the former embassador to NZ (forget her name), some New Republic guy Andrew something, and Rob Schneider, who proved he's actually got a good head on his shoulders).  Like the third or so episode I've been able to see; don't get to watch HBO that much.  Forgot how much I missed Maher.  I loved Politically Incorrect, and this show is even greater, as he's unleashed.  It blew anything Jon Stewart does out of the water, IMO.  When he read out his "New Rules" sketch, well, I haven't laughed as hard as I did there in a long time.

Reinhold

Quote from: SoNowThenreally? all I can think of when I see Maher is bullshit. the last thing we need is more of him...

i agree to some degree.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Kal

I really like them both... but I do watch Real Time every week and I almost never watch The Daily Show...

Duck Sauce

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI just saw an episode of Real Time with Bill Maher (had the former embassador to NZ (forget her name), some New Republic guy Andrew something, and Rob Schneider, who proved he's actually got a good head on his shoulders).  Like the third or so episode I've been able to see; don't get to watch HBO that much.  Forgot how much I missed Maher.  I loved Politically Incorrect, and this show is even greater, as he's unleashed.  It blew anything Jon Stewart does out of the water, IMO.  When he read out his "New Rules" sketch, well, I haven't laughed as hard as I did there in a long time.

Whats Schneiders political leanings?

ono

Quote from: Duck SauceWhats Schneiders political leanings?
I couldn't really make it out from what he said on the show, other than he doesn't really seem to be Republican.  But no surprise there, really.

Reinhold

i don't like maher. he's not so much liberal as he is anti-conservative. he's not interested in helping anybody. he also doesn't know when to shut up. he says stuff that any reasonable person would agree with and attracts an audience of sheep for personal gain. i think he's a fuckhead.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

pete

I think bill maher pales in comparison to many other political comedians.  I remember when Dennis Miller was still somewhat liberal and he went on bill maher's show and just shut bill maher up.  Same thing with Chris Rock.  But Jon Stewart and his daily show co-hosts can keep up with the best of them.  and, aside from his comical humility, he's also blessed with the daily show's format--where he doesn't have to stand for any specific ideology (like The Onion), that he's free to take shots at whoever he thinks deserves it.  For example, they had a sketch that made fun of the media's overreaction to Howard Dean, and made fun of those people who label dean as angry, and then next day went straight to making fun of howard dean's loudness...etc.  And no one is going to call the show hypocritical because it's an irreverent comedy show that claims no truth or stance.  unlike bill maher who loves to preach.
haven't seen the new HBO show, but I hated the old bill maher show's format and its audience.  When he moderated the show he was basically pulling a reverse bill o'reilly, where he'd get two smart liberals and one really dumb conservative, and everyone would just take easy shots at the dumbass.  Also Bill Maher does that thing where his mic is like two levels louder than all the other guests', so when everyone talks over each other he can pull a joke over all of that and the audience will just cheer for whatever he says (even if they cheer for whoever he was debating against just a minute ago) because he was the most audible one.  And his stand up stuff oftentimes seem like updates on bill hicks' stuff.
he's just not as good as most other professional comedians.  even the new dennis miller is funnier than him.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reinhold

thank you. you said pretty much everything that i was going to say if somebody asked me to explain my previous post. i agree completely.

pete

I haven't heard someone say "fuckhead" in a long time, I think the word's been long overdue.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton