Can someone help me with this?

Started by finlayr, May 23, 2003, 07:06:41 PM

finlayr

Hey everyone.  Just want to see what YOU'D all do if you were in my position here.  I'm shooting a Sales Video in July and I've booked the equipment already.  We're shooting on digital.  The sound will be recorded SEPERATELY using a Sennheiser Mic and a Fostex DAT.  When we're editing we'll put the images and then the sound into the AVID.  When we're shooting do I/the sound guy have to hook any sound-related wires up to the camera at all??  Not too familiar with the digital format.  If anyone can give me some advice on this I'd appreciate it...
Filmmaker

ReelHotGames

Since your using a DAT to record the sound you'll be independant of the camera itself, what you'll want to do is make or use a clapboard or a visual cue at the start of your roll, stand in front of the camera and clap yoru hands together or something like that, this can be used as an easy reference point for post sync of sound to film.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Xixax

I might also suggest, where possible, an end pop as well.

That will prevent you from having to follow sync so closely, too.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

ReelHotGames

I might also suggest, where possible, an end pop as well.

Kudos to Xixax, exactly right. My head hangs in shame for not remembering this. I must commit hari kari....

"Awright basebaw fans... Its anuver gworious day at da bawpawk."
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Ghostboy

As long as you're renting your equipment, you might try to pick up a timecode slate as well. It'll have a wireless attachment that plugs into the camera, so that the slate displays the same timecode that's running on the slate. It's a great luxury.

sphinx

Quote from: Ghostboythe slate displays the same timecode that's running on the slate

speak english, son

Xixax

You know these from all the behind the scenes things you've watched.

They're the clappers with the pretty little digital numbers on them!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

sphinx

Quote from: XixaxYou know these from all the behind the scenes things you've watched.

They're the clappers with the pretty little digital numbers on them!

no, i know exactly what everyone is talking about, but he said the slate has the same timecode as the slate and i think ghostboy needs to lay off the crack or something

Xixax

umm, well, if the slate had a different timecode than the slate, then things would really be fucked up, wouldn't they?
[/size]

sphinx

Quote from: Xixaxumm, well, if the slate had a different timecode than the slate, then things would really be fucked up, wouldn't they?

i'd actually like to see a movie where that happened!