Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince

Started by MacGuffin, May 03, 2007, 11:20:56 PM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

That was a little bit all over the map in terms of tone and story wasn't it?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

i didn't realize Gandalf was in this.

Is that a spoil?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Alright, despite my better judgment, that trailer just got me really excited.

RegularKarate

Man, last night's screening was really pushing it.  Midnight start time for a movie that's over 2 hours and 45 minutes (also, these damned people are bringing little kids to movies that won't get out until almost 3?) is bad enough, but they decided to "entertain" us with a magician.  The Alamo usually has a little more class than what this guy had to offer (spiky hair, a douchey intro video, and his insistence that his magic was "twisted") and he came in late so with trailers, the movie didn't start until 12:30.

The movie was kind of pushing my limits too.  It started out alright, but immediately became barely tolerable for about an hour.  Luckily, it gets better (for book-fans at least), but only a little.

Overall, I enjoyed it enough and I'll see again, but I just don't get why they let Kloves back onboard for writing?  While I would have loved to have seen these movies visually grow like I thought they would after seeing Azkaban, I'm fine with them settling on Yates as a director for the last three, but WHY OH WHY are they still letting this ding-dong Kloves continue to write these clunky messes?

This was probably the hardest of the series to adapt because almost the entire book is just people running around at school trying to figure out "who's this guy?" "Why'd he do that?" "what's this thing?" with very little action so giving it to Kloves who doesn't understand that books and movies are different seems crazy.  The choices he makes seem bizarre to me.

It's a real miss that they didn't focus more on Voldemort's past and the impending doom.  Getting a sense of the enemy makes you feel the danger that the world is in.  Instead they just use a quick attack at the beginning to show you "oh yeah, there's still bad guys out there" and then barely explore the dark side of the story until the end (which I did enjoy).

I'll give it this... I think they handled the love-story aspects alright... I'm sure having read the book is a big part of why I really felt for the characters during these parts of the movie, but I did.

I'm damned afraid of the next movie, but considering the second half of the book, Kloves won't have much to say about the last movie and by all accounts, it should be great.

SiliasRuby

The Books were enough for me....I'll resee all the films in a marathon when the 7th hits netflix
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Ghostboy

I really didn't care much at all for the last movie and blamed that on both the script and David Yates uninspired direction, so this particular book is neck and neck with the third for my favorite of the whole series - so between those two facts, I really didn't have much hope for this. So imagine my surprise when...

I absolutely loved it.

I know they left out rough 60% of the book, but it still worked for me. I loved the pacing, the romance stuff, the flashbacks, even the gosh darned Quidditch match. I never wanted to see another Quidditch match again in my life until I saw this one and was totally blown away. Jim Broadbent was solid gold. Also, the scene in the fields by the Weasley's house - amazingly directed. And the inferi - how did this get a PG rating?

As with the book, Prisoner Of Azkaban has a serious rival for my affection.

picolas

i've only seen 3 and 5 aside from this one and i wasn't sure if i would join my friends to see this. i don't care about harry potter at all but this movie helped me understand why it's such a craze. i seriously enjoyed it. the children aren't embarrassingly terrible actors anymore. they're actually having fun. well. emma watson still has a lot of really terrible moments, but she was bearable which is a massive improvement for her. some of the effects are really astonishing. it's a very impressively directed movie, jumping from weighty wizard stuff to knowingly ridiculous moments with ease. somehow yates has made a second harry potter movie where nothing really seems to happen plot-wise, but it works. i'm actually excited to see how this wraps up. i might even crack and go on a wiki spoilathon.

matt35mm

I watched this in the oldest cinema in the UK that couldn't handle the whole length of the film without an intermission (I assume that the intermission isn't happening everywhere, anyway).  I enjoyed it.  I've seen each of the movies once and I haven't read the book, so I've got no opinion on how well it was adapted.  I can follow along just enough to get what the hell is going on and the romance parts are easy enough to get and be moved by.  I always thought the girl who plays Ginny is cute and I never knew if she was ever gonna have more than 5 minutes in any of the movies, so I liked that about this one.  I thought (as with the last one) that Luna is hilarious, with several good moments that had me laughing out loud.  This movie was very similar to Lord of the Rings at times in feel and look, but whatever.  I always forget how dark these movies are.

So I've generally enjoyed the series so far, with the 4th one being the only one I thought was really boring.  I think Yates is doing a pretty decent job and I look forward to seeing the final two movies.