Strangers with Candy

Started by MacGuffin, June 06, 2003, 11:19:45 AM

Ghostboy

THINKFilm Takes a Bite of "Candy"

New York, February 7 – THINKFilm has acquired all worldwide rights to STRANGERS WITH CANDY, a feature film adaptation of the acclaimed Comedy Central series of the same name, it was announced today by the company's President and CEO, Jeff Sackman, and Head of US Theatrical, Mark Urman.  Amy Sedaris, Stephen Colbert and Paul Dinello, who wrote and starred in the series, repeat those chores here, with Dinello also directing.  Colbert, now starring in Comedy Central's hit "The Colbert Report," is co-producer, Lorena David and Mark A. Roberts produced, along with David Letterman's production company, Worldwide Pants Incorporated, whose first feature film this is.  THINKFilm plans to release the film in exclusive engagements early this summer.

STRANGERS WITH CANDY toplines Sedaris as Jerri Blank, a 46 year-old ex-junkie, ex-con who decides to get a fresh start in life and regain the trust of her family, by returning to high school.  Little does she know that the cool kids in her middle class suburb are far more dangerous then anyone she ever encountered in prison.  Colbert and Dinello portray the science teacher and art teacher respectively (who happen to be enamored of one another), and the ensemble cast also includes Greg Hollimon, Deborah Rush, Dan Hedaya, Alison Janney, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Kristen Johnston, Justin Theroux, Matthew Broderick, Sarah Jessica Parker and Sir Ian Holm.

About the acquisition, Urman says "At this important stage of our company's development, we were looking for a film that combined all of the best qualities of 'Crash,' 'Brokeback Mountain,' and "Capote.'  STRANGERS WITH CANDY has ethnic slurs, clandestine gay sex, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.  What more could we want?!"

MacGuffin

Quicktime Teaser Trailer
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

:bravo:

From the trailer, it looks like it has retained the best qualities of the show (those one-liners have always been priceless, both in conception and delivery). My only worry: too many repeats of the best stuff from the series ("I'm not pushing you away; I'm pulling me towards myself" is hilarious, but I've heard it before).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

I recently watched a few episodes of this for this first time. It surprised how old Sedaris can look but how vibrant, almost detached her voice sounds. It just struck me because you could see hints of her personality embedded in and coming through the character.
WWPTAD?

godardian

I'm going to see this at SIFF on Saturday night. It's my end-of-quarter treat (along with the new Francois Ozon, also in SIFF, on Friday). I'll try to make sure to report here.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I saw it today. It's pretty funny - the usual sitcom-to-film stretch marks aren't nearly as noticeable as I feared. The main problem is that, as an origin story, it just recaps the show too much. And why for the love of god did they have to replace the corpse father with Dan Hedaya in a coma? Oh well. It ain't brilliant, and it isn't as savage as I hoped, but I laughed pretty consistently.

Oddly, Phillip Semour Hoffman was completely wasted - even moreso than in MI:III. He barely registers on screen. Of all the star cameos, Ian Holm is by far the best. He's absolutely hilarious.

godardian

Quote from: Ghostboy on June 20, 2006, 03:56:09 PM
I saw it today. It's pretty funny - the usual sitcom-to-film stretch marks are nearly as noticeable as I feared. The main problem is that, as an origin story, it just recaps the show too much. And why for the love of god did they have to replace the corpse father with Dan Hedaya in a coma? Oh well. It ain't brilliant, and it isn't as savage as I hoped, but I laughed pretty consistently.

Oddly, Phillip Semour Hoffman was completely wasted - even moreso than in MI:III. He barely registers on screen. Of all the star cameos, Ian Holm is by far the best. He's absolutely hilarious.

Excellent summary. That's pretty much exactly how I felt about the film. I described as two episodes' worth of funny in a three-episode time frame.

MacGuffin

Jerri Blank: the 46-Year-Old Freshman

In a summer of movies that has included a Lucha Libre wrestler and a mutton-chopped mutant, the weirdest character to hit the big screen is a little, 46-year-old woman with a slight overbite.

Jerri Blank, an ex-junkie and ex-con who returns to high school as a freshman, is the main character in "Strangers with Candy," a prequel to the cult Comedy Central show canceled six years ago.

Blank is the absurd brainchild of Amy Sedaris (who plays her), Stephen Colbert and Paul Dinello the three of whom wrote and star in the film. In it, we see why Blank "a boozer, a user and a loser" returns home and seeks rehabilitation in the halls of Flatpoint High School.

"After a while, that stopped sounding weird to us," says Colbert, who now "The Colbert Report," on Comedy Central. "You don't think about it for a while, and you come back and you go, `This is deeply weird. This is very strange.'"

Sedaris plays Blank with a fat-suit for her lower half, a ski-jump-sized blond curl, and a manic, unrelenting selfishness. She is an oddball mix of adolescent insecurity and street-wise depravity.

She's also not the sharpest No. 2 pencil in the book bag. In the movie, the principal (Greg Hollimon) asks her what her IQ is. "Pisces," she answers.

Talking at her Greenwich Village apartment, Sedaris, 45, still occasionally lapses into Blank, her mouth suddenly sloping downward.

"Paul says she's like a rash you just never know when she's going to reappear," Sedaris says.

Blank was created years ago by the comedic trio, who were all hired by the Chicago improv troupe Second City on the same day in 1987. Sedaris and Dinello hit it off immediately, but, as Dinello says, they had to "work Stephen into the fold."

But the three became close friends and frequent collaborators. In 1995, they created and starred in a sketch comedy show, "Exit 57," which also aired on Comedy Central.

The inspiration for "Strangers with Candy" came when Colbert, 42, and Dinello, 43, saw a PSA that featured a tough-taking motivational speaker named Florrie Fisher who lectured students about her days as an addict and prostitute.

The show ran for three seasons before being canceled in 2000. The trio say they never were actually told "Strangers with Candy" was pulled, but Colbert says they got the message when the snack drawer wasn't being refilled.

So, in the final episode, they blew up the school.

But Blank wouldn't die. While the three wrote the book "Wigfield" together, they kept thinking of jokes for her, and eventually, they had 60 pages of material down on paper. Their film script was later picked up by David Letterman's Worldwide Pants Inc. It's the first feature from Letterman's production company.

"Amy Sedaris is one of a handful of folks who actually make me laugh," Letterman told The Associated Press in a statement. "The film is as appealingly peculiar and funny as she is."

The movie, made for just $3 million, features many of the same characters and actors from the TV show, though some of Blank's classmates have been replaced by younger actors. Several big names also make cameos, including Philip Seymour Hoffman, Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick.

Flatpoint is not your average school. The grief counselor (Parker) has a tip jar; Chuck Noblet (Colbert) teaches science with a Bible; and the predominant sports team is the Squat Thrusting Squad.

The world of "Strangers with Candy" is altogether its own there are no references to pop culture, and, strangely, no one ever questions a 46-year-old woman going to high school. She's an outcast for other reasons.

"It's odd that (the students) are so accepting of (her age), but so unaccepting of her," says Dinello, who plays the requisite wacky art teacher. He also directed the movie, a first for him.

Of course, a movie based on a little-seen TV show six years after its demise is not a typical thing. With a six-disc DVD set of the entire series out Tuesday, the cult of "Strangers" is reaching its apogee.

"I like the audience for `Strangers' because they are misfits," Sedaris says. "I like people that discover things like that, and I like that we have a movie for that audience, because movies aren't made for people like that. Everything seems to be for pretty people."

Blank's somewhat hideous appearance could be one reason the show remained on the fringe, suggests Sedaris, who, youthful and bright, looks nothing like her character. "I think a lot of people don't want to see an unattractive woman," she says.

(Sedaris, whose brother is writer and NPR star David Sedaris, will release a whimsical cook book, "I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence," come October.)

Dinello wonders how people unfamiliar with the show will react. Though he thinks the film stands alone, he says: "There are going to be people that don't get it, I'm sure.

"Jerri's a bit of an acquired taste."

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Sedaris looks gorgeous in that picture.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Strangers with Candy director Paul Dinello
By Daniel Robert Epstein

Jerri Blank is a boozer, a user, and a loser. But all true Strangers with Candy fans wonder how Jerri ended up coming back to Flatpoint and entering high school again. All those answers are revealed in the new Strangers with Candy prequel movie. Nearly the entire original cast is back including Amy Sedaris, Stephen Colbert, Greg Hollimon [Principal Onyx Blackman] and Paul Dinello as the art teacher Geoffrey Jellineck, based on his high school art teacher. Dinello has also taken over the directing reins of the feature film.

Dinello first met Colbert and Sedaris when he joined the Chicago-based Second City theatre nearly 20 years ago. Since then he's collaborated with them on Strangers with Candy, Wigfield and has even consulted on The Colbert Report. Also Comedy Central has just released all 30 episodes of the Strangers with Candy on a special edition DVD set with all new bonus materials.

Daniel Robert Epstein: Why did you decide to direct the Strangers with Candy feature?

Paul Dinello: I had directed before and part of me wanted to direct the film, but then I was worried. I had a more significant role acting wise at one point and I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew. But there was part of me that always wanted to direct, but I guess it came about because we couldn't get the director we wanted. Then I was looking for directors. A lot of possible candidates had maybe one film under their belt or they had directed television. Then Steve [Colbert] and Amy [Sedaris] were like "Why don't you just direct it?"

DRE:The movie is very similar to the TV show but I found the pacing and the tone different. Was that done on purpose?

PD:Yeah, I was trying to find some middle ground, but I definitely wanted it to feel different than the show because otherwise I didn't see the point. I think people will have the criticism that it's still too much like the show, but I wanted to be true to the fans and be true to the show because I liked it but still make it feel like it was its own thing.

DRE:How hard is it to deliver those convoluted selfish lines like "I wasn't holding you away from me, I was pushing myself towards me" because you guys all do them with such sincerity.

PD:We're used to that because it seems like we almost speak that way now to each other. But I remember in the TV show I wrote a line for Sara Blank, who's played by Deborah Rush. There was a scene where Jerri's in trouble or she's sick or dying at school. Sara says, "Hi. I got here as soon as I felt like it." She was completely lost with delivering that line. I said there's a trick that I tell everyone who works on the show though some people pick it up right away. I say, "Deliver it like, I got here as soon as I could. In your mind say that, but just say, I got here as soon as I felt like it."

DRE:So it really is a process you have to go through to deliver those lines.

PD:Right. I think ideally they work when it's said with sincerity because we try not to do anything with a wink. I don't think we're great actors or anything, but we all try to perform the best that we can.

DRE:I was really worried that Maria Thayer [Tammi Littlenut] wasn't going to be in the movie because I'd heard at one point she wasn't.

PD:There was a time when she wasn't in the film and that was almost a bad decision by me. Part of the appeal on the show was that we hired really young actors. The younger they are, the more out of place Jerri seems. So we couldn't just have everybody come back. Everyone's six years older and I didn't want to hire 30 year olds to play high school students because then it doesn't make Amy seem that lecherous and creepy. I hadn't seen Maria in a few years and then she came in and we talked and I went, "My God. You're still as pure and innocent as you ever were." I just love her.

DRE:How much did the actual plot of the movie change in the editing room?

PD:Some stuff is completely different. I found a lot of it in the editing room. For instance, one big scene change was that I had shot a ten minute prison sequence. Then I ended up turning it into a montage because it was the first thing we shot and Amy didn't really have the character down. She had just gotten stitches in her mouth, I was still finding my legs and it didn't turn out that great.

DRE:Harry Shearer directed a movie a few years ago called Teddy Bear's Picnic. It's got a lot of the racist humor. I asked him about that and he said, "It's not racist humor. It's humor about racism." You guys do it in even more subtle ways because Jerri is just a racist.

PD:She is a racist. We like the most idiotic things to come out of the most idiotic people. Even subconsciously you would go, "Well, I don't want to be like that person" because they're all such selfish, hypocritical, awful people even though I love them all. But there's nothing wrong because it's just part of her character. It's not satire, she's a racist.

DRE:Do you guys consider it humor about racism when Jerri's saying and doing these awful things?

PD:We find it funny but not funny because we think Mexicans are lazy or Jews or stingy, even though I hear they are. Sometimes it's purely funny and shocking because you just don't hear people say that in mainstream society. But also it just indicts her character and that's amusing.

DRE:What's Mrs. Jellineck doing now?

PD:She stopped talking to me in the middle of the school year. I bet she died and I feel partly responsible.

DRE:How'd you come up with Geoffrey's hair?

PD:He seems like the type of guy who would care a lot about his hair. It seemed like he'd want to grow it long and he'd want to relate to the kids even though kids shave their heads now. It's his perception of what would make him look young. He liked the idea of having this full mane of hair that enters a room before he does.

DRE:The Strangers with Candy TV series ended with the school blowing up. But is there more to do with these characters?

PD:It's hard to say. We thought after the series we wouldn't do a movie, but then after a few years we're like, "Yeah, let's knock out a movie." Jerri has an odd way of sneaking up on you. You think, "My God. I've had enough of Jerri Blank," but then you miss her. She's so vile but she inspires like "I wonder what she'd be like at a nunnery."

DRE:How much did your improv training come into play for this movie?

PD:There are two elements about improv that are really great. One is almost like a life lesson because it really is about supporting the other players or supporting whoever you're involved with. That's been invaluable and Amy and Stephen are imbued with that concept. That makes it a really great working environment. We don't say "No that's stupid" if someone's got an idea and I have worked with people like that. But it's trying to heighten and support that idea. As players, we try to consciously make the other person look good. That's one of the major tenets of improv. The other thing it teaches you, is that over time you get to a place where you're not thinking about it. I think anybody can learn improv. That's where the magic comes. The work is letting go of being self-conscious about what you're saying and just being in the moment.

DRE:The first time I saw you and Stephen Colbert was actually on the Janeane Garofalo special years ago when you guys...

PD:Oh God with the dog.

DRE:That was really funny. It looked like something went wrong, like the dog caught fire too fast.

PD:But we did get to light a dog on fire.

DRE:Most of your scenes in Strangers with Candy are with Stephen. Is the way the two of you connect different than the way you connect with Amy?

PD:Stephen and I do have some sort of odd bond, but it hasn't been consummated yet. I'm still hoping. A lot of it is trust and a lot of it's timing, but we've been performing together for 18 years so we fill each other's gaps nicely. I know what his weaknesses are and he knows mine, which I have a lot of. I think I'm drawn to him because he fills all the things that I'm inadequate as a performer.

DRE:I know you work on The Colbert Report. Are you political minded like the way Stephen must be?

PD:He's not particularly politically minded. We're both liberal and we both have our pretty specific opinions, but the bottom line for that show is to make people laugh. It just happens to be through a political format, but I don't think he thinks of himself as a political comedian or a satirist really. We're just both clowns. Even with that speech he did at White House Correspondents Dinner had a lot of weight put on it but ultimately he just wanted people to laugh.

DRE:Are you working on anything?

PD:I'm writing a feature about two young hot shot exorcists.

DRE:Is this something that you want to be in?

PD:I don't think I'll be in it. I don't think I could pull off a hot shot young exorcist anymore. I don't have the legs for it.

Skeleton FilmWorks

clerkguy23

I saw it this past weekend and I was pretty disappointed. It had funny parts, but it completely lost any charm it used to have as a television show on comedy central. The music was pretty lame and they completely took out the old score of the show. Wherever they filmed it looked like a boarding school for rich boys. It just felt like a unedited bad episode of a show that is usually brilliant. I only say all this because I'm such a big fan of the show--the movie is definitely enjoyable to watch, I just wish it was a lot funnier. Maybe my expectations were too high.