Schizopolis

Started by children with angels, March 10, 2003, 08:13:12 AM

KingBlackDeath

Pretty funny and also "Poignant" in parts.
about 70% of it is good for watching but the other 30 is not so good
(sections I just didn't like and ideas being returned to too much)

but the idea of it is really inspiring. to just grab a camera and a couple of friends and just make a damn movie. take the most ridiculous ideas you have with a few personal feelings thrown in, write some scenes and shoot them. or even just make it up as you go along (you can always edit later)

the cast and crew commentary is about as good as the soderbergh commentary while were at it.
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

Gamblour.

Just saw it, like everyone has said, it's such a funny movie. It flows so well, even though it's so nonsensical. And I LOVE how the dentist is so lame, he actually enjoys muzak.
WWPTAD?

slice

the musak garbage can has been painfully overlooked.  look for similar windows into your own schizophrenia everywhere in the continuing adventures of....your life

Finn

This is a very interesting movie to say the least. I got the Criterion DVD for Christmas. It doesn't make a bit of sense and it's very confusing. It's successfully weird, but I think it's weird just for the sake of being weird though. But it's still a good movie.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

SoNowThen

Nameless Numberhead Man is my favorite character name, ever.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SoNowThenNameless Numberhead Man is my favorite character name, ever.

Though "T. Azimuth Schwitters" is no slouch either.

Just Withnail

It's almost like a like a Monty Python movie, cracking jokes everywhere it can, no matter how irrelevant they are to the plot, and suddenly jumping to new characters and situations, that don't neccesarily have anything to do with the previous ones.

Chest Rockwell

I just saw it for $32.00....worth it?

ono

mod-age (and I) will probably tell you yes, and that if it's at Best Buy, the price may get reduced to $29.99 at the register, like it was for me.  mod-age will also tell you that at dvdplanet.com it's $25.97.  That is, unless I beat him to it.

Pubrick

Quote from: Onomatopaellamod-age (and I) everyone except cowboykurtis will probably tell you yes
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Onomatopitamod-age (and I) will probably tell you yes, and that if it's at Best Buy, the price may get reduced to $29.99 at the register, like it was for me.  mod-age will also tell you that at dvdplanet.com it's $25.97.  That is, unless I beat him to it.

I just bought it, but it rang up as $29.99.

Are all the Criterions at Best Buy marked this way, or just this one?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

In Waking Life (I have a vague memory of his line) is he referring to Schizopolis.  The "They gave me2 million dollars to make a film about a dream within a dream, and he told me: they just wasted 2 million dollars."

Something like that.

Or is that just some random line in the film?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Quote from: WIn Waking Life (I have a vague memory of his line) is he referring to Schizopolis.  The "They gave me2 million dollars to make a film about a dream within a dream, and he told me: they just wasted 2 million dollars."

Something like that.

Or is that just some random line in the film?

Technically, the story goes like this. Billy Wilder runs into Louis Malle, this is in the late 50's, early 60's, and Louis Malle just made his most expensive film which has cost 2-1/2 million dollars, and Billy Wilder asks him what the film is about, and Louis Malle says well, it's sort of a dream within a dream, and Billy Wilder says you just lost 2-1/2 million dollars.
context, context, context.

modage

haha, and THAT is why Billy Wilder rules.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Thanks cron,  I was a little fuzzy on the details.