Proof

Started by MacGuffin, September 09, 2004, 12:47:55 AM

MacGuffin

Release Date: December 24th, 2004 (NY/LA), expands 2005

Cast: Gwyneth Paltrow, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anthony Hopkins, Hope Davis, Gary Houston

Director: John Madden (Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Shakespeare in Love)

Screenwriter: David Auburn, Rebecca Miller

Based Upon: The Pulitzer Prize-winning play by David Auburn.

Premise: "Proof" follows a devoted daughter (Paltrow) who comes to terms with the death of her father (Hopkins) a brilliant mathematician whose genius was crippled by mental insanity -- and is forced to face her own long-harbored fears and emotions. She adjusts to his death with the help of one of her father's former mathematical students (Gyllenhaal) who searches through her father's notebooks in the hope of discovering a bit of his old brilliance. While coming to terms with the possibility that his genius, which she has inherited, may come at a painful price, her estranged sister (Davis) arrives to help settle their father's affairs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

isn't there already a movie named Proof starring Hugo Weaving?  That one was good.
rebecca miller is pretty cool though.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pwaybloe

Quote from: MacGuffinPremise: ...a brilliant mathematician whose genius was crippled by mental insanity...

What movie does this sound like?

SHAFTR

Quote from: Pwaybloe
Quote from: MacGuffinPremise: ...a brilliant mathematician whose genius was crippled by mental insanity...

The Passion of the Christ
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pwaybloe

pete

good will hunting?  a beautiful mind (connection: Russel Crowe also starred in a movie called Proof, the same one with Hugo Weaving)?
- Buster Keaton

©brad

Quote from: Macman's movie news reportPremise: "Proof" follows a devoted daughter (Paltrow) who comes to terms with the death of her father (Hopkins) a brilliant mathematician whose genius was crippled by mental insanity -- and is forced to face her own long-harbored fears and emotions. She adjusts to his death with the help of one of her father's former mathematical students (Gyllenhaal) who searches through her father's notebooks in the hope of discovering a bit of his old brilliance. While coming to terms with the possibility that his genius, which she has inherited, may come at a painful price, her estranged sister (Davis) arrives to help settle their father's affairs.

:sleeping:

picolas

my sis dir'd the play. supposedly it's very good.

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

New Release Date: September 16th, 2005 (wide)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

just saw it.  it was alright.  Paltrow will probably get an oscar nomination even though she basically did the same thing ten times in ten different scenes.  I would also prefer like math mambo jumbo that I don't understand over phrases like "that was your BEST work" or that kind of really vague math talk that made the writer's lack of knowledge in math painfully obvious.  I like movies that are ABOUT some kinda obscure subject to know what they're talking about, instead of just blatantly using the subject as some kinda cheap metaphor.
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

I agree with Pete on the math point. It was pretty clearly danced around, instead of upon. Still, I liked the movie a lot more than I thought I would have. The biggest problem for me was the Miramax-ish tone. I'll bet it would have been killer on stage. And I really loved Paltrow's performance...the character was one note, but she made it pretty multifaceted. I really wanted to give her a hug.